Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Check out our new (freebietastic) Talk topic

(53 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Apr-12 11:23:45

Hello, a few words about this new Talk area <clears throat>.

In case you weren't aware, each month we giveaway around 250 books from our book club newsletter. 

We aim to include a variety of books and in the past we've given away Booker longlisted novels, historical fiction, crime, 'chick lit' as well as cookery books, children's books and parenting books. 

We've created this new discussion topic so we can announce each month which books will be included in the giveaway and also to give you a place to share your thoughts and discuss the giveaway books you acquire with other Mumsnetters once you've read them. 

As you know, nowt comes for free and the more feedback we can give the publishers, the more likely we are to continue getting such a wide range and abundance of great books to offer for free each month. 

To make sure you're up to date on all things literary on MN, sign up to the book club newsletter, follow @mumsnetbookclub twitter feed and check this area of the site each month.

beachhutbetty Wed 09-May-12 10:17:42

I got a copy of 50 shades yesterday too, I wasn't expecting it either. I did get an email telling me I'd been lucky with The Language of Flowers but no sign of the book yet.
Still as RaisingEmbers says "gotta love a free read"

Kveta Wed 09-May-12 10:17:02

Got my copy of Fifty Shades of Grey yesterday - looking forward to reading it, and then passing it on to another deserving person!!

thanks MN smile

Fifty Shades of Grey just landed on my door mat. Wasn't even aware that I'd won one! Having seen the above reviews now though, I'm not sure if it'll be any good. Willing to give it a shot though, gotta love a free read. Thanks MN.

NoraHelmer Thu 03-May-12 12:17:44

Same here Cracked. I think there must have been hundreds of people pressing refresh at the same time sad

I was receiving book club emails, so assumed I was a member of it. I applied for the Fay Ripey book....and I mean I applied as sodas they went live. I set my alarm at 11:55am and tried but the forms didn't go live until about 12:06... I kept refreshing until e form was there and applied and I didn't get it! Go figure!!! Utterly gutted and to be honest can't see how much quicker I could have been.

SoozleQ Fri 27-Apr-12 11:09:46

Thank you Mumsnet for my copy of Fay Ripley's cookbook. Positive feedback here. The recipes are pretty simple and don't require hundreds of unusual ingredients. The book itself is put together beatifully and of high quality. Just hope my cooking skills match it smile

mamij Fri 27-Apr-12 11:06:20

Have just received a copy of Fay Ripley's cookbook. Have just flipped through it and very excited by the simple (and yummy!) recipes. There are loads that I want to try (mouth waters) and will feedback to let you know how it goes

Cwm Wed 25-Apr-12 14:13:00

Thanks Rachel - actually I thought I was signed up, as I have been getting book club e-mails, had I read them properly I would have realised you were giving away free books blush I've just checked my account and I did get the March and Feb newsletters, hopefully next months will get through ok. Thanks for clarifying.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Apr-12 10:02:30

Sorry for the confusion here. If you've just signed up for the bookclub newsletter you'll have to wait until next month I'm afraid. The bookclub newsletter is generally sent out the 2nd Tuesday of each month. We'll keep you posted on the exact date when we announce the next month's giveaways. Currently we're taking the first 50 names that apply for the books - they do go quickly, so if you haven't been lucky, I'm afraid you must have been too late. We are considering whether this is the best /fairest/ easiest way of doing this so do keep your thoughts coming in on this and we'll let you know exactly how this is going to work in the next week or so. As we said in a post earlier, we agree that it's fairer to open the giveaway forms in the evening and this will definitely happen next month.

Cwm Wed 25-Apr-12 08:53:27

Thanks Nora, I've just done that!

NoraHelmer Wed 25-Apr-12 08:42:13

I applied for two books, straight after the forms went live, but didn't get either of them. I'm assuming they pull names out of a hat so doesn't matter whether you apply straightaway or half an hour later - it's luck of the draw.

Like you, Anonymous, I got a sample of Fifty Shades of Grey on my kindle, read a little bit, thought it was rubbish, and deleted it blush.

Not sure in MNHQ is still checking on this thread, so don't know the best way for everyone to get their questions answered - report your own post perhaps?grin

usingapseudonym Tue 24-Apr-12 22:02:19

Hmm. I didn't get the email either.

Cwm Tue 24-Apr-12 21:06:12

Still no email and no idea where these forms are. Can anyone at mnhq help??

I got my email re Fifty Shades of Grey being on its way. Clearly I didn't get Fay Ripley (which form I filled in first!!!!) as have not heard on that one.

Since applying, however, I have read the sample on my Kindle and it is truly and unbelievably extraordinarily bad - actually unreadable. I was cringing and laughing out loud at how contrived it was. It was a relief to delete, I would have been ashamed for anyone to see that I had it on my Kindl!

Shame. MNHQ If you can redirect to another person on the list at this late stage, then please please do so.

Sorry MN but thanks for the opportunity though. I'll be honest, not the best set of giveaways this month... <dons hard hat as I actually lurve MN book club, it's really got me reading again>

ProfCoxWouldGetIt Tue 24-Apr-12 09:24:18

I'm signed up but didn't get the email either, is ther a problem with the emails?

Cwm Mon 23-Apr-12 13:49:41

I'm signed up to the newsletter but didn't get an e-mail yesterday. Where are these forms that people are talking about?!

hanahsaunt Mon 23-Apr-12 12:47:17

I didn't know there was such a thing! Very excited now grin

NoraHelmer Mon 23-Apr-12 12:38:45

How does the book allocation work? I applied straight after the page went live, but don't appear to have been successful this time.

Galaxymum Mon 23-Apr-12 12:13:45

Thanks to MumsnetHQ - it made my morning when I found I've won a copy of Fifty Shades of Grey. Thank you! x

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:24:10

jimswifein1964

Hmm, I have to agree its very unfair to people working - but on the other hand, I suppose you need to limit the number of people who are able to get on and try, so the website doesn't crash! I wish the giveaway was on my day off once though.

See message above - we're going to set the giveaway to start in the evening next month, so hopefully that should give everyone a fair chance.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:21:46

iseenodust

Great idea. I got one of the Susan Lewis books and didn't know where to join/start a thread. Think it ended up just me and no reply because picked somewhere a bit obscure.

ps I thought the book was worth a read and had some interesting topics interwoven.

Thanks for starting the thread iseenodust, I did spot it. We'll move the threads about giveaway books over to this talk topic and hopefully that will prompt someone to join your discussion.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:20:29

zipzap

Thanks for that RachelMN

It was probably sometime between 1.00 - 1.30pm on the Wednesday that I tried and got the problem. Pure fluke that I spotted the email then and thought it was worth a try. I just assumed that I was too late and that they had all gone but I was just a bit worried that I wasn't getting a page back but the requests were getting logged and you'd think that I was being greedy for requesting two or three copies of each book! blush

Sadly you were too late zipzap - the giveaway forms are open for around an hour but tbh the books have usually gone before that. Don't worry we don't have you on the blacklist for being greedy wink

Kveta Mon 23-Apr-12 10:15:40

I'm getting a couple of books this month, having missed out the last couple of times - so excited! Was very lucky to be online at the right time this month grin

will be passing the novel on to other people once I've read it, probably other MNetters!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:10:39

BumgrapesofWrath

Have the e-mails been sent about the recent giveaway yet?

Yes, the emails were sent out yesterday afternoon.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:08:39

vogonmothership

The give aways usually start at midday. Any chance of varying the time (eg evening) to give those of us who can't get on t'interweb in the day a chance?

Yes, this is something we'd been considering and will open the next giveaway the evening after the bookclub newsletter has been distributed. We'll also be announcing on this area of the site and on @mumsnetbookclub twitter account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now