Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

HELP severe gas pains after Keyhole surgery (laparoscopy)

(11 Posts)
missuspritch Tue 08-Nov-16 20:17:20

So saturday night I woke up in severe agony went to accident and emergency and turns out my appendix needed removing! Yay! Key hole surgery was the way forward because it's less painful than full open surgery.

Thing is everyone failed to mention the gas pains that come along with it. I honestly had never herd of it until I was writhing in agony with chest pains thinking I was on the verge of a heart attack. My panic attack was in full swing and I was screaming 'help me' at the nurse with all my might.

I'm home now thankfully but still in awful pain with this gas, at the moment it's in my shoulder and around my neck, feel like I have been strangled and broken collar bones!!

Anyone who has had this before and knows what I'm on about please advise on the quickest ways you found to relieve it, I need sleep!!! thank you

ChristmasAccountant Tue 08-Nov-16 20:19:09

Peppermint tea, or hot peppermint cordial. Having just had a c section I feel your pain!

ofudginghell Tue 08-Nov-16 20:20:14

Hiya.
Can relate massively!!!
Had keyhole surgery a few years back. The incision areas and op site never caused a day of pain but holy shit the shoulder and neck pains from the gas were horrendous confusedconfused
I think I just took every painkiller I could without taking too many and went to bed with a hot water bottle on the areas and slept a drug induced sleep. It eased within 24/48 hours and then was fine.
I feel your pain op shock

abbsismyhero Tue 08-Nov-16 20:20:43

peppermint tablets sit on the loo with your feet on a stool spread your cheeks a little and let nature take its course helps if you rock a little too

Watto1 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:23:12

Been there and got the t shirt! I found taking Deflatine or Windeeze helped, as did walking a lot. Prop yourself up in bed with plenty of pillows as lying flat is the worst thing you can do.

Also you might want to get this moved into General Health rather than Bloggers' Chat!

TynesideBlonde Tue 08-Nov-16 20:24:39

Yep peppermint tea - strong as you can get it. And once you can get to a pharmacy pepppermint capsules. Referred shoukder pain is awful.

SparklesandBangs Tue 08-Nov-16 20:24:44

Second walking and peppermint tea

Thatwaslulu Tue 08-Nov-16 20:24:51

I had dreadful gas pains after my hernia op - it's the anaesthetic that does it. I couldn't move much afterwards but I'm told walking helps to expel the air.

BagelDog Tue 08-Nov-16 20:29:30

So you likely have two different types of gas pain. When you have keyhole surgery, gas is used to expand the space in your abdomen so the surgeons get a better view and more wiggle room, any left in at the end, and there is always a bit, irritates your diaphragm and you feel it as pain in your chest and shoulder and under shoulder blades. The gas in your abdominal cavity will all absorb in time, meanwhile painkillers and being propped up rather than flat will help.

Having had an appendicectomy your bowel will likely be sulking a bit, so you also have trapped wind within the small bowel. Walking about as much as possible, peppermint oil, tea etc, deflatine, all help with this.

Anaesthetics do not have any link with causing either form of wind pain.

DoI anaesthetist...

Oblomov16 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:37:14

Peppermint. My mw gave me some peppermint oil? 5ml? A tiny shot glass , after my c section. The relief within 1/2 an hour was incredible.

missuspritch Tue 08-Nov-16 20:38:23

Sorry I put this in the wrong place! I'm honestly not thinking straight and this is actually my 2nd thread on here so don't know what I'm doing really.

! I can't lie down atall it gets so much worse! I've been walking all day, I walked home from the hospital to try help ease it (live 10 mins away) but I'm absolutely shattered now hardly any sleep atall! I was told pain killers don't help!! I've had c section16 months ago and to be honest I'd rather the pain and healing time of that over this any day!! Key hole is better my foot!!!!!! Lol!

Thanks for the tips guys I will get some peppermint tea in the morning if I'm still hurting (hopefully I'm not) any other suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now