Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Moving from London to Somerset and housing..need advice please.

(5 Posts)
Steph86b Sun 11-Sep-16 13:13:38

Hi everyone
Me and my partner and our little girl are thinking about moving to Somerset from London. My partners mum lives in Taunton but where all originally Londoners,but looking for a change,away from the concrete jungle and want to do it for our daughter. Can anyone advice where in Somerset is lovely to live and bring up a family. And also as we work we rent with housing association, and tbh I would prefer to rent from another housing association? Would I have to move and private rent to then put my name down for housing? I've joined home swap but what chances are you going to see someone from Somerset wanting to move to London, I haven't so far. Thanks 😘

NelliePomPoms Mon 12-Sep-16 13:01:38

Have a look at Life After London which is a brilliant resource website, with forums to answer all your questions.

Steph86b Mon 12-Sep-16 23:16:55

Thankyou for their website. Brilliant. Will check it out.

GreenGoth89 Mon 12-Sep-16 23:36:06

Somerset is lovely, Taunton less so - my best friend grew up there and I remember there always being issues with local schools, there being nothing to do and it's miles from the nearest city - it's a good hour from Bristol and probably not far off that to Exeter. North Somerset is probably a better bet, I lived there for a bit as a kid and I remember it being idyllic and not far from Bristol and Wells but there's not really many train stations - asides from castle Cary.

No idea on schools or rents though sorry!

Eternity12 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:06:05

Hi there - I live in Minehead in Somerset, I have two children 8 and 6. I grew up in a nearby village and although in my twenties I couldn't wait to get away from the place , now I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. The surrounding villages are beautiful, the schools , especially primary school are fantastic. The whole way of life is great. The beach on your doorstep, surrounded by woodlands, lots of clubs for the kids and as safe as you're going to get. The nearest town for clothes shopping etc is Taunton . I lived in Taunton for a while and didn't like it at all. Its changed and its a totally different experience living there to living in Minehead. I would highly recommend this area especially for children. Hope that helps?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now