Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Blog critique needed

(7 Posts)
themamacave Fri 03-Jun-16 13:30:07

Hey hey.

I am about to re-launch my blog and have chosen to do it in a few stages to try and get some of the new stuff out there pronto.

I really need some honest criticism of my current content though to check I haven't missed the boat and making the wrong types of changes.

Taa,
SJ,x

VioletBam Fri 03-Jun-16 13:54:42

Link?

themamacave Fri 03-Jun-16 14:04:50

oops sorry - Had stupidly assumed my username would take you through.

The Mama Cave

VioletBam Fri 03-Jun-16 14:47:10

Thanks smile

Right, I've had a look and it's...ok. I hope you don't mind if I'm honest...I assume not or you wouldn't be asking for feedback.

The first impression was that there's too much white space going on. Your image and text are floating too much. Also, the font is rather small.

Next...it's quite impersonal. I can't form an impression on that first visit.

When going to a blog I've never visited before, I want an instant "Ah that's who it is!" moment.

That's usually offered via a photograph...a candid one. If you don't want to put your own face on there...or that of your children, I recommend that you photograph a moment for each post...a moment from that day which relates to the post.

I also think, if it's possible, that your bio (just a paragraph or even a sentence) should be visible near your banner...which is far too small by the way.

That's all I've got!

themamacave Fri 03-Jun-16 15:11:55

Thank you so much - I really appreciate you taking your time.

Some of this has been looked at in the relaunched version and some completely missed.

I will definitely switch it up again with your comments fully taken on board smile

VioletBam Fri 03-Jun-16 15:31:28

I also think that it's helpful for you to think about what it is you want to achieve with this blog.

If it's a lot of traffic which might later allow you to make some money, then you need to consider that when you post. And musings...about life in general, aren't really going to increase traffic.

If it's just a place for you to share, well then you're doing very well at it.

themamacave Sat 09-Jul-16 17:30:03

Hi Violet Bam.

I have finally released some updates on my website (and have a few more in the pipeline) - as your comments and feedback were so good, I wondered whether you would mind checking if I am on the right track?

SJ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now