Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

How much is a reasonable amount to contribute to the group gift for a birthday girl aged 6?

(10 Posts)
hemi1977 Tue 26-Aug-14 23:46:09

My daughter's friend is having a party as she turning 6. One of the other mum's is organising a group gift to give the birthday girl rather than individual gifts. How much is a reasonable amount to contribute to the group gift? I was thinking £5?

MrsWinnibago Wed 27-Aug-14 08:37:35

Didn't she suggest an amount? Every time I've given to this kind of thing, the organiser suggests how much. Ask her..say "How much is everyone giving?"

Do you know how many are contributing and what they hope to give the money for? That will also give you an idea....eg if there are ten people giving and the child wants a lego set....a big one...that would be about a tenner each...if there are 5 people and she wants a pony...that's a different tale! grin

hemi1977 Wed 27-Aug-14 17:42:33

Thanks for your response, sorry I wasn't very clear my question.

All these birthday parties has got me thinking about whether to make the whole birthday experience practical for parents and to ask for a small amount of money (probably £4 from each parent) just to take away the obligation of purchasing and expecting expensive gifts and for more time to be spent on enjoying the birthday party.

I'm currently thinking about developing a website which would send out a birthday invite electronically and when the guests respond to the RSVP they will have the option to contribute to the online birthday fund (each parent contributes the same amount of £4) I want to show parents that it's easier to respond to an invite via the internet and take away the waste and hassle of buying a present. The birthday child will be happy as they still have the fun of opening a birthday present, they'll receive a long lasting present from their friends, a gift they'll always remember. A win win for everyone.

Do you think this is a good idea?? Also I'd like to use the same idea for teacher's gifts at christmas time and at the end of the school year?

MrsWinnibago Wed 27-Aug-14 18:37:28

Oh I see. Well I don't think that buying presents and sending invitations IS a hassle really. I may be in the minority of course but I enjoy doing it....especially choosing and sending invitations...my children love taking them into school.

The idea of doing it for teachers is a bit pointless...most parents contribute something to the class rep in our class or make one. And not all parents are online or connected via social media to their fellow school parents. I know I'm not.

Also how will having all this online mean that more time is spent on enjoying the child's birthday party?

MrsWinnibago Wed 27-Aug-14 18:37:58

Also as for not being clear....you made up a story!

starlight1234 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:43:55

One thing I learnt from my DS is they like the little gifts his friends give him and they buy things I often wouldn't think of.

hemi1977 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:44:05

Thanks mum's for your comments, it's always nice to hear opinions from others.
The benefits of having this idea online, would mean not having to buy general party invitations as the website would create lovely customised invitations and take care of managing all the rsvp responses, sometimes the whole class of 30 children are invited and it's a chore having to manually create a list to track who is and who isn't attending the party. Also when parents reply to the invite they can also provide info on any allergies and special dietary needs. And thank you notes can be created at ease.

MrsWinnibago Thu 28-Aug-14 22:06:23

But the parent would need to manually insert the names of 30 odd children for your customised invitations? That's just as much as a faff...many parents just print out their own invitations from free templates....why pay someone else to do it?

hemi1977 Fri 29-Aug-14 12:47:41

True, it is a chore to insert in 30 names but once a parent has done it once, they can use the list again and again in years to come as they'll most probably invite the majority of the same friends year after year. Lots of food for thought and to think about how to provide the invites for free :0)

starlight1234 Fri 29-Aug-14 15:10:20

I have to say not sure about the website thing.

I enjoy organising my DS party. I find it difficult to see how website would work unless everyone was agreeable to it.

I don't particularly want information about my child holding on a website. what about changes of address, emails.

Also parties get smaller and smaller. Very few had large parties in year 1 and only a couple in year 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now