Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Teenagers being charged adult prices.

(5 Posts)
LGee1 Sat 09-Aug-14 20:47:36

Why do teenagers have to pay adult prices in many establishments, public transport, leisure activities, etc. when according to the definition on web sites such as NSPCC and UNISEF, a child is 'a person under the age of 18'
In some establishment a teenager will be charged adult prices but they still have to be accompanied by a person over the age of 18.
Is this discrimination of being a teenagers, or are we as parents of teenagers being exploited ?

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 10-Aug-14 00:43:53

Most places I've been have a student rate which is mid-way between a child and adult price. What sort of places are you talking about?

bloodyteenagers Sun 10-Aug-14 00:52:05

Think they should start charging by height. Under a certain height you pay child price, which would the average height of say 12 year olds.

I think that's why they charge adult price for teens, because some teens are the same height as adults. But then some teens are adults.

Lally112 Sun 10-Aug-14 00:57:06

In Scotland the age of an adult is 16. they pay half fare on public transport here to 15, as well as leisure facilities. The only example I can think of is in a restaurant where a kids menu is often restricted to under 12s - possible because a teenager can eat the bodyweight of an under 12 and doesn't really want to eat the 'chicken nuggets' option - they want proper adult food.

Lally112 Sun 10-Aug-14 00:57:18

In Scotland the age of an adult is 16. they pay half fare on public transport here to 15, as well as leisure facilities. The only example I can think of is in a restaurant where a kids menu is often restricted to under 12s - possible because a teenager can eat the bodyweight of an under 12 and doesn't really want to eat the 'chicken nuggets' option - they want proper adult food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now