Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Animal Jam is not safe for kids!!!

(5 Posts)
KT68 Sat 02-Aug-14 23:05:24

Don't let you kids become animal jam members. Adults play this game. It's obvious from some of the chats you can have with other players that there intentions are of a sexual nature. It is very disturbing. I have contacted the website, in America who have said it will be at least 48 hours before they contact us. Don't be sucked in by they're claims of being educational for kids or that it is run by national geographic. As parents we are very upset by what has happened and regret ever allowing the game to be played. The police are now involved. I can't warn parents enough, don't let your kids play on this game!!!

Kate236 Sat 02-Aug-14 23:10:59

Hi. My sister-in-law had the exact same problem and she also contacted them. She warned me and I managed to stop my son from playing on it. It needs to be taken down. Kate xx

KT68 Sun 03-Aug-14 11:59:00

Thanks and I agree. I have found websites where adults are discussing,'how to have sex on animal jam'. It's all very disturbing. The animal jam website claims to monitor conversations. But how can it when it has a phenomenal amount of users worldwide. They also claim that parents can filter conversations. But this is only from the child. Any adult can talk and say what they like to children. The children using this website are mostly very young and lured in by the attractiveness of playing 'games' with other animals. I can't believe that this is allowed. Close it down!!!!!!!!

My concern with Animal Jam is that my DDs keep telling me that their account has been hacked and their "stuff" stolen or character changed. I have no idea what goes on in that game beyond them running around doing quests - I watch them play but it makes no sense to me. They do know not to "speak" to anyone who isn't an actual RL friend and they check with me for everyone they talk to.

But I don't know what's going on with these "hacks"? Are random people actually hacking into children's accounts and messing with them? Or can their friends access their "stuff" and steal it? Google hasn't told me anything useful. But I'm very hmm about letting them play a game where they think it's normal, if a little annoying, for their account to be hacked on a regular basis. They have secure passwords that they don't share with anyone.

MmeLindor Thu 04-Sep-14 18:17:27

Not sure why this discussion is in Bloggers - maybe ask MNHQ to move it if you want more answers.

I work in Social Media, and there isn't one website of this type (MoshiMonster etc) that I'd let my kids use. There is quite simply no way of moderating a site of that size, and no way of checking if the person signed up is a child or a 45yr old man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now