Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Feel down 6 weeks too attached to me

(6 Posts)
Rubena1989 Sat 26-Jul-14 20:42:35

Really need advice, my 6 weeks old baby is really attached to me and does not go to her dad. Even if I leave her in the bouncer she cries and doesn't stay without me being directly next to her. She dies it more during the evening. Feel so down as I got a 3 year old that needs attending too and at time can't even go bathroom without making her cry. Don't know what to do feel so emotional and down I love her to bits but don't know how to get her used to her dad or her to understand I'm only leaving to go bathroom for Abit or even to get dinner
sad

morethanpotatoprints Sat 26-Jul-14 22:57:00

Hello OP, its a long time since mine were babies, but I'm sure it was my middle one who was a bit like this.
He ended up fine but am no help as for the life of me I can't remember how we handled it.
Maybe spending time with your dh and baby together in the same room as much as possible for a while so baby begins to think it normal?
I'm sure somebody who can remember will be along soon, but felt sorry for you lurking in unanswered.

trumpfamily Sat 26-Jul-14 22:59:58

Are you breast feeding? I used to use the muslin sheet that protected my clothes as a soother as the baby could smell me and thought I was near when I was getting on with chores or seeing to my Daughter. Really worked a treat, I used to drape it near his face and he used to fall back to sleep like magic.

AliMonkey Sat 26-Jul-14 23:02:46

Not sure I can offer much advice other than to say been there and it will get better. Evenings were worst for me as well. Had it with both DCs and one slowly improved from 6 weeks the other took more like 2 years (in terms of clinginess and not really wanting his dad, but obviously not as extreme at 1 as when newborn).

I took to going into the garden and weeding for an hour , leaving them with dad so I was close by if needed but far enough away not to hear unless got really bad. Or popping down to local shop so out of house only 20 mins. Think they do need to just get used to it to dome extent.

justwondering72 Mon 04-Aug-14 06:40:23

Have you got a sling? That can really Help when you need some hands free time. Anyone to entertain the three year old while you sit on sofa with a baby velcroed to you- even if its cbeebies?!

It does pass, my approach with my second Velcro baby was surrender, and it was far less stressful than trying to put him down all the time.

Dudess Wed 06-Aug-14 09:15:56

There will be recurrent bouts of clingyness, but I recommend heading out and leaving baby and Daddy together. Popping out to the garden or shops is great so you're still local if needed. Can you leave an item of your worn clothing with your baby, so she will recognise your smell?

Good luck, it will get better, and you will be able to wee in peace!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now