Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

How do busy mums find the time and energy?

(6 Posts)
rlawrance Fri 25-Jul-14 20:40:15

I love being a mum and housewife but I'm also passionate about writing and illustrating. However, when the dust finally settles after a manic day I have no time or energy to do anything bar stare at the TV? How do other women find the time and energy to pursue their passions when they are also full time mums?

rlawrance.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/where-is-time-where-is-energy.html

rhirhibumblebee Sat 26-Jul-14 15:10:56

Feel you there! The only chance I get is when my son goes to bed. There's only one of him so I can imagine having more children I would be even more worn out!

Do you have family nearby? Perhaps a sleepover at grandparents occasionally?

Rhi Rhi

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 26-Jul-14 16:33:26

Same here, I can't do anything creative while dcs are around as I know I'll get interrupted. Eldest does not go to bed till 10 now, and whereas I used to be able to burn the midnight oil I just can't anymore.
On the rare occasions dcs are all out I end up doing all the household stuff or maintenance stuff that's built up. Or go on MN wink.
I would love to have time to create the myriad of ideas that I've scrawled in notebooks or on bits of paper but I doubt I'll ever get time until they've all left home, which will be 11 years at the very earliest, and I'm already dreading an empty nest.

rlawrance Mon 28-Jul-14 21:54:47

Hi Rhi Rhi and Harriet, it's a tough one, balancing time and energy for children with our passions. Like you Harriet I don't want to wish my time away to when the children have fled the nest. At least we're keeping our ideas noted and may one day pursue them. I've decided that I will try to do one creative thing a day even if it's just a doodle! I do have family nearby Rhi Rhi but it's difficult to find times for them to look after the little ones. My son starts part time nursery in September and I'm determined not to while away that time with housework!

Jellylove Mon 28-Jul-14 21:59:21

I just don't have time, I collapse in a heap at the end of a day, go to bed early, get on the same hamster wheel the next day. I love my kids so much, but there just is no time/energy for 'me time'. My craft/sewing machine and my inner creativity is gathering dust.

Kate236 Sat 02-Aug-14 23:21:30

Same with me. �� I do what rhirhibumblebee said: they spend the occasional day with my sister or my parents and I have the day off. If you have family near its great. If not organise time with friends and have a free day. When they start going to school (I found) you have more time to do what you want. Kate xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now