Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

How do you get people to visit your blog?

(13 Posts)
LifeTakesGrit Wed 04-Jun-14 01:17:29

I started a blog a month ago on something that I thought would be quite popular. I post a few times a week.

Since then though, according to google analytics, the only person who's visited the website.... Is me!!

Surely there must be something free you can do to get people to visit?

I am clearly quite new to all this so appreciate any advice! thanks

LifeTakesGrit Wed 04-Jun-14 11:55:46

bump smile

POst links, on FB and Twitter and on here (just on the bloggers bit though unless you are really thick skinned...)

justsomestuffaboutus.wordpress.com/

WipsGlitter Wed 04-Jun-14 13:11:35

Agree you need to use social media to bring people to the blog. Also link to and comment on other blogs on a similar subject. Follow people on twitter who might be interested in you blog.

Hambo04 Wed 04-Jun-14 19:39:33

What's your blog about?

EmmBabyBrain Wed 04-Jun-14 22:01:10

i'm quite new to blogging too. So far I've had some visits but it's early days. I'd say same as others really, set up something on Pinterest, other social media, get active in the area that your blog is about e.g. any relevant message boards, etc. So speaking of which.... here's a shameless link for myself wink

baby-brain.co.uk

and

www.pinterest.com/babypsychology/

mswibble Wed 04-Jun-14 22:08:55

Are there any other blogs that are about similar things to yours that you post on? I blogged years ago and most of my commenters/vistors were fellow bloggers with similar interests. Make sure your post titles are clear so they will be picked up by search engines. Ive been following several blogs for years that I randomly stumbled across when searching for product reviews, etc.

There are some diabolical blogs out there and when they do sponsored posts or fill their site with ads I generally dont bother going back to them. One blogger who I used to really rate did a sponsored post on e-cigs. She was a non smoking healthy eating and fitness nut. V misguided.

mswibble Wed 04-Jun-14 22:11:49

Also think about your layout. Personally I like Blogger, hate it when people suddenly change their page and ram as much as possible onto one main page.

Fram Wed 04-Jun-14 22:22:16

Am I allowed to LOL @ "and I thought it would be quite popular"?

May I ask why you thought that? Is it about something quite unique to all other blogs? Do you write incredibly well?
Most bloggers achieve their stats through months and months of slogging away at it, often for years before becoming "overnight successes".

How many other pages on the internet link to it? If there are no links from elsewhere, how can people find your page?

TheTwistedYarn Thu 05-Jun-14 11:20:31

The biggest bit of advice I can give is to read and comment on blogs about similar subjects. You'll then probably build up a community of people with whom you regularly interact. But warning: it does consume vast amounts of time.

As others have said, use social media.

Be visual. And make your pictures large within your posts. Maximise your photography skills/equipment.

Read up on how to maximise SEO (search engine optimisation).

You'll have an advantage in Google SEO if you are active on lots of platforms owned by Google (eg YouTube, Google+).

Think not about what you want to write, but what your readers might want to read. And what search terms would they use to find you?

Are there any discussion forums related to the subject of your blog? Get active on those.

Readership should build slowly and steadily. It's hard work. But what you absolutely cannot do is sit back and wait for readers to flock to you.

Why not post the URL of your blog here, then at least you'll get some hits from us!

My blog is TheTwistedYarn.com

LifeTakesGrit Thu 05-Jun-14 13:03:24

Thanks everyone, these are fab tips. I'm going to take your advice and polish it up a bit and set up some social networks links as well. Then I'll come back and share!

Fram, I didn't mean that in a cocky way, i.e. that I thought the BLOG would be quite popular... not at all. I meant that I thought the topic of the blog would be a popular one, hence that a blog about it might do well. Hope that makes sense!

Dancingwiththedrummer Fri 06-Jun-14 20:57:05

Social media is one of the most powerful ways of advertising. If it's free advertising you want then I'd edge towards twitter.

I've only just started blogging at www.girlheartsbeauty.worspress.com but I have experience in SEO

It does take hard work and it won't happen overnight. Good luck with everything. Post your URL here to start with x

Dancingwiththedrummer Fri 06-Jun-14 21:02:38

Sorry I ment www.girlheartsbeauty.wordpress.com

Top tip - don't type your URL wrong haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now