Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

10 yr old and food obsession and stealing

(4 Posts)
tillsmum Sat 10-May-14 22:01:07

My DD is overweight and has always loved her food but as she gets older it is getting worrying. As a young child she would steal sweets from shops, chew chewing gum from under seats etc. I think this has stopped but she now steals food from the kitchen. She has asked her teachers to have a word with me about her packed lunch (a big round of ham and philly sandwiches, 2 savoury eggs, a babybel, a yougurt tube, cereal bar and fruit), because it isn't enough and they finish way before everyone else. If allowed she will eat till she is nearly sick. She steals food from her grandparents house who feed her nothing but cakes and biscuits cause they have no concept of a healthy diet and both my husband and his sister were obese as kids. His sister still is as she still binges and has no idea what a healthy diet is. That said I do try and give my DD a varied diet we do have puddings both healthy and not, we have pizzas and takeaway but only a couple of nights a week the rest of the time it is homecooked food with veg and low fat. I honestly don't know what to do. She is going away with school in July for 3 nights and her teacher drives me bonkers last time she went away I warned her about the over eating. They went to a buffet place and she let her have 3 plates of chicken nuggets, pizza slices hash browns etc (ok she was away) but then DD helped herself to HALF a cake for pudding!!!!!! Obviously ended up in the toilet thinking she was going to be sick. Then at breakfast she awarded DD points for eating a good breakfast which consisted of 2 bowls of cereal, 3 slices of toast and fruit. The last time she went to a sleep over she gorged herself on sweets and through up the next morning. This morning she dug the middle out of a crumble we made last night for today with her hands!!!! Does anyone have any idea what to do. I have asked her why and she says she doesn't know or she is hungry. Sorry it is long but I am really worried.

MadonnaKebab Sun 11-May-14 01:01:24

Has anyone suggested Prader-Willi syndrome ?
Google it & see if she has any of the other features

tillsmum Sun 11-May-14 08:00:45

Hi she defiantly doesn't have prada willi shes perfectly healthy in every other way.

Donki Sun 11-May-14 08:01:47

Maybe talk to GP and ask for a referral to CAMHS?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now