PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Ezcema on 3m old

(8 Posts)
Beaney28 Wed 16-Apr-14 15:47:01

Hi my daughter is 3months old and has had ezcema from she was born. It first flared up really bad at 4weeks and at the time she also got an eye infection, we ended up with a weekend stay in hospital for her to have IV antibiotics. She was diagnosed with ezcema and was also put on a special formula as a precaution Incase it was her formula causing it. The ezcema wasn't too bad after this, although I don't really think it was anything to do with her milk as the ezcema has been persistent since then.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, her skin has now flared up really bad on her face, it's really red, raw and rough, all over her legs and arms are really dry, and she has a weeping patch on her leg. It also seems to be disturbing her sleep now. We use epiderm, e45, Dermol and oliatum in the bath. When she's creamed her skin is fine for a couple of hrs then really dry again.
I took her to the GP yesterday about her face and also as she has now started to itch really bad, only to be told, "yes that's x ezcema (can't remember the exact name), it's likely to go away as she gets older but you're doing all you can, and there's nothing more they can prescribe, unless any patches get 'crusty and yellow'! I just can't accept that there is nothing that can be done, I'm considering getting a private dermatologist app, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or whether anyone with experience thinks the private app would be worth it or pointless? I'm really stressing over this, I just want to cry every time it look at her :-(

MerryMarigold Wed 16-Apr-14 15:55:43

GP should be trying different combinations of treatments. Aveeno and Balneum for bath worked for us and a mild steroid. This was from the GP. We also went to a dermatologist privately who gave us some stronger steroids, but we rarely needed to use them. He gave us really good advice though.

First, cut out ANY soaps/ shampoo. Second, wash clothes in something detergent-free like soap nuts (they don't get it white/ remove stains, but do get it clean). Third, put mittens on her hands to help scratching. Fourth, don't use too many strong cleaning products, air fresheneres etc in the house.

It may be teething (though quite young - my baby's got worse with teething around 6-9m). Anything else it could be? Maybe something you ate? Or visiting a house with pets? Could anything have triggered it? If you can figure that out, it will help to avoid that thing.

trisca Wed 23-Apr-14 19:19:41

Have you tried exposing her to sunlight (in morning/afternoon, not middle of day.) My eczema only flares up in winter however, I bought a uvb lamp for an unrelated issue and my eczema hasn't been back since, so sunlight might provide some sort of relief for her.

WhatsTheEffingPoint Wed 23-Apr-14 21:13:49

I have suffered with Eczema since i was a baby. My parents took me to the drs time and time again and i went through all the creams/lotions/bath stuff/steroids etc. The one thing that randomly worked for me and still does to this day is sea water, maybe try that (when the weather is warmer) or see if there is a sea salt you can add to bubbas bath. Another thing i remember having put on me was cool natural yoghurt, it stopped the itching. Mittens is a great idea though.

Iwillorderthefood Sat 26-Apr-14 09:35:37

Hi I am sorry that this Is happening. Please be very careful if you are given a steroid cream for your baby's skin and only put on as directed.

Both of my DDs have this, and I do too. What has helped us is, not to bath every day. I moisturise them both head to toe with epaderm (which can also be used as a cleanser in the bath, in conjunction with oilatum). At your baby's age I applied epaderm to their body at each nappy change (this helps prevent the skin drying out). I am a little sceptical regarding a pp's mention of applying yoghurt to calm the skin, but in reality everybody reacts differently and everything is worth a try, but be very careful if you try this.

We have been given steroid creams by the doctor and told to use it on a seven day treatment so applying twice a day to the affected areas for seven days, and then stop, after this carry out weekend treatments. So five days off steroid treatment and two days on, if it is needed to maintain the skin,

Hips this helps.

fortheloveofmike Sat 26-Apr-14 09:46:39

I was you 3 weeks ago...
My ds 8 months had angry itchy skin all over and had such dry skin and sleeping was a nightmare.
We back and forth to gp and tried various creams and was told to apply steroid sparingly and only for 5 days.. nothing helped though!!!
So finally I went to dr and said I wanted to be referred to a dermatologist..
Dermatologist appointment came within 4 weeks and its been a lifesaver. We were given strong steroid ointment and told to apply liberally as we need to clear the eczema up and then keep skin well hydrated. After 2 days of this new cream eczema was gone and now his skin is soft and he sleeps through the night. Its only now that we realise how much it was upsetting him at night..
Sorry for garbled post.. I have an extremely wriggly baby on my knee but couldn't not post to give you some hope.
Feel free to message me for any more help.
Good luck xx

andersonsophie89 Tue 29-Apr-14 21:34:31

4th week? Try to notice if her excema flares up when after your little one receives a vaccination? As allegies, brain inflamation etc... is common after effect. articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/01/more-parents-waking-up-to-vaccine-dangers.aspx

Also make sure if your not breast feeding that you are not organic food, have no garlic as that comes out in the milk. Keep away from processed food or food with chemicals, as this will go into your milk, then the babies digestive system and just like us, when our liver cant clear it out the toxins, the toxins are released in the skin.

Look a the clothing you buy too, to make sure it doesnt have harmful chemicals which will irritate the babies skins.

Stay away from stuff made with teflon, ie non-stick pots and pans/ fabrics etc...

The truth is that we live in toxic world now. And natural food and fabrics we were brought up with, are hard to come by. Which is shown up in skin problems and other health problems we now see in common amoungst this new generation.

Annleeflp Fri 02-May-14 09:37:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now