PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

NHS Negligence- result is my sisters baby died

(14 Posts)
izadorable Fri 04-Apr-14 21:21:29

Ok... to start with our mum died 3 weeks ago on 8th of March- suddenly at 52 years old... trauma, tragic...

My very close sisters' baby died on Saturday - 3 weeks to the day ...Neonatal death so born alive and died... an inquest is going to be held- the baby is currently going through Autopsy. I was there and her birthing partner.

This is not a simple case of one thing that contributed to neglect but multiple issues that we have discovered...

Has anyone else known of anyone that has gone through an inquest? my sister in brief had a urine infection spotted in sept 2103 but never treated... she went into septic shock on the day of labour (so much more to this but keeping it brief)....

need advice... as i said inquest 100% to happen and we have instructed lawyers -the best...

After mums death- well i'm the oldest girl of 5 siblings (33) and i have a 10 year old girl (single mum)... my youngest brother is 17... and he's suffering terribly ... I am just about equipped to deal with my daughters process but i need to be able to deal with my brother... and of course my sister.... who will naturally go through post hormonal process that one would go through with actually having a living baby...

ahhhhhhhhhh going mad need advice please anyone that has gone through this or similar or anyone that could help me to help my family would be amazing

Thanks

Natalie

NCRegular Fri 04-Apr-14 21:23:48

I have not, I am so sorry for the loss in your life. I hope this bumps for someone else to help you. thanks

PolkaSpottyDotty Fri 04-Apr-14 21:27:12

Goodness, what an awful time for you thanks

I haven't been through the same as you, but I have been through the formal complaints process within the NHS. I started by writing to PALS and the most senior person I could identify within the department where there was a problem and went from there.

I'm sorry that's probably no help, but maybe another bump for you.

NatashaBee Fri 04-Apr-14 21:29:15

Has your sister contacted SANDS? They were extremely helpful to a friend of mine who suffered a similar loss. So sorry for your family thanks

Bluecarrot Fri 04-Apr-14 21:30:49

I haven't but wonder if there is any charities that help people in your family position in going through the process?

Will keep you all in my thoughts

flowers

Smo2 Fri 04-Apr-14 21:34:58

I'm so sorry, you are going through a terrible time I'm so sorry for your losses.

It's hard to say I went through the same, but I had a daughter whose birth was severely botched up, leaving her with cerebral palsy. Their negligence left her born barely alive and she had to be resuscitated. I didn't find out at the time, but had to sue...just to get my birth notes, which is when serious medical errors came to light....and it took a very long time. When I say a long time, it's been years. We won, and received an apology, and compensation.

I think if you have found a good solicitor, then Thats great and just try not to expect anything to happen quickly. I don't know what an inquest involves, ours was obviously investigated much later. So I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck

Xxxxx

VivaLeBeaver Fri 04-Apr-14 21:36:31

I'm sorry for the loss of your mum and your sister's baby. Must be awful having two big losses so close together.

Wait for the results of the inquest and post mortum. The hospital should do an investigation. Your solicitors should be able to request copies of paperwork and probably the investigation.

Be prepared though that any answers you get might not be what you initially thought they would be. Obviously I don't know the details but I'd be surprised if an untreated UTI in sept would cause sceptic shock in March. However something did, whether or not it was preventable is another matter but you need answers and I hope you get them.

izadorable Fri 04-Apr-14 22:54:33

I demanded the notes whilst i was ami was in hospital... so have them... it's a shocking read....did you instruct lawyers then? at what point did you do this?

izadorable Fri 04-Apr-14 22:59:50

thank you.. yes i would have been surprised too.. but i've seen all of the notes- i have copies of them... and the underlying cause was a urine infection from spey 2013... as i said i have all results and am with understanding of the entire process....but midwives failed to spot drop in FHR at 7.20 .. consultants didn't arrive until 8.05...

PolkaSpottyDotty Sat 05-Apr-14 20:00:22

If you're not medically trained, I would ask someone who is (and can not only read but understand a CTG or any type of fetal monitoring) to go through them with you.

cantpooinpeace Sat 05-Apr-14 20:08:32

An inquest is held to find out who die, where they died, how & why they died. It is not to blame anyone but to find a cause of death where more information is needed. If it becomes apparant at inquest that there is evidence of neglect or malpractice the hospital may change protocols/practice because of this. Occasionally if it is clear that misconduct or criminal activity has occurred then the case may be taken to crown court.
Hope this helps, sorry to hear what you have been through - it must be such a difficult time for you all. Go easy on yourself and seek any support you have xxx

HolidayArmadillo Sat 05-Apr-14 20:12:05

I hope you get some answers but you definitely need someone suitably qualified to look at all the notes. I don't understand how you have come to the conclusion that the UTI is to blame? Good luck.

HaPPy8 Sat 05-Apr-14 20:13:25

How heartbreaking, so sorry OP x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now