PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Chinthurst School

(11 Posts)
sarah00001234 Sat 01-Mar-14 16:01:40

Hi,
Can anyone help? My son is due to start at Chinthurst School, Tadworth in September and I have just heard at a birthday party that the main site has been sold to a developer. I've checked on land registry and it was sold in December. I am furious about this as I was very worried about sending him there looking at their accounts but was assured that because they own their buildings they have no financial problems. I feel tricked. I'll obviously call them first thing Monday and get my deposit back but just wondering if anyone knows what is going on?

SometimesLonely Sat 01-Mar-14 17:23:18

Not any use really but I've looked at their website and there's nothing at all there about developers. A parents' evening is next week and one or two other events. Perhaps you could go to have a look and might be able to have a word with someone then?

chattyone Mon 03-Mar-14 09:55:06

Not really surprising there is nothing on their website! They were holding open mornings earlier in the term and they have a job vacancy being advertised for a receptionist for a fixed term contract to July 2014. IF they are closing the school then maybe they will say something before Easter, just to give people a chance to find new schools. Evidently, though, some people are already "in the know" - hence the comment at the birthday party.

TwoBoysItsNoisey Mon 03-Mar-14 13:19:31

I have contacted the school and also a governor of the school about this issue. There is no question of the school closing down. In addition it has not been sold to a developer. They have entered a lease agreement like many other school and business. I am getting more information about this but wanted to reply ASAP to squash any rumors. My husband work in large corportate property finance and this is not unusual - nor is it a sign that a company/school is in financial trouble. Anyone that has any concerns should call the school - they are more than happy to answer question on this. (sarah 00001234 I have tried to message you direct but for some reason mumsnet is not letting me).

mrsmoo1 Mon 03-Mar-14 14:12:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KazBee Mon 03-Mar-14 16:37:50

I too have tried to post directly to sarah0001234, but according to 'mumsnet', this person no longer exists, strange!!!

busby76 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:44:52

Also wanted to reiterate that the rumour is not true as has been confirmed by the school governors.
It saddens me to hear things like this about Chinthurst - I have 3 girls there and it is a truly lovely school where my girls are all really thriving. We moved our girls there in September and are delighted with the school and would highly recommend it to anyone considering it!

chattyone Mon 03-Mar-14 17:31:40

To quell the qualms and misinformation - the UK Land Registry (Title Number: SY99128) as of today shows the proprietor of Chinthurst School, 52 Tadworth Street, Tadworth, KT20 5QZ as being J H Lorimer Ltd (which in turn is owned by Paam Investments Limited). The property was acquired by sale on 2nd December 2013 for a price which I do not intend to list here - but it was a significant sum of money. That sale is listed as Title Absolute dated as 6th January 2014 on the registry.

The charges register lists a lease agreement between Chinthurst Educational Trust Limited and JH Lorimer Limited with a registry entry of 14th January 2014.

It may interest some on here to be informed that Paam Investments Limited also own various other businesses including Just Another Property Limited.

So, according to the official UK Land Registry Chinthurst School now no longer owns its own land but leases it and the new freeholder is an organisation which does include property development interests.

That is, of course, assuming the UK Land Registry has the facts correct.

NK5c9065dX1230eaffdff Mon 03-Mar-14 17:54:25

I find it exceptionally surprising that a growing school with 5 large independent secondary schools visiting one evening next week for a parents evening is hardly a school on the brink of closure!! The secretarial post is also fixed term contract to take on some additional work, so again, nothing to worry about it. I find it staggering that people without children at the school (or no longer at the school) continue to stir up gossip at a birthday party........The governors have sent a reassuring letter today to parents in relation to this 'gossip', "quelling all the qualms and misinformation"!

luckyone123 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:47:26

sarah00001234 It's probably just as well you are not sending your child there, the school is far too friendly and intelligent for you if you are making major decisions on the basis of a birthday party chat LOL

luckyone123 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:51:38

Seems like Chattyone has closed their account on mumsnet, funny that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now