Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

HELP!! on citlopram and 5 weeks pregnant.

(5 Posts)
graceb122 Tue 29-Oct-13 14:29:37

hello im 5 weeks pregnant and been advised by the doctor this morning to have a termination because the baby could have heart defects from me taking citlopram!! please help . devestated

wiganwagonwheelworks Tue 29-Oct-13 16:16:29

Bump

TantrumsandBananas Tue 29-Oct-13 16:26:57

I'm sorry but that sounds ridiculously extreme. See another Doctor and get another opinion.

When I found out I was pregnant was taking Sertraline, I did stop taking them, but I was at least 8 weeks gone before I realised. My Doctor had no concerns and simply helped me wean myself of them.

Someone else may come along with a different opinion, and more knowledge.

But I would absolutely be asking for another opinion.

minniemousey Tue 29-Oct-13 16:44:10

I take the same antids (citalopam? can't spell it) and am 7 weeks pregnant. have been told by my gp that the risk of that particular heart defect is doubled by taking the medication through pregnancy- but the risk doubles from something like 1 in 1000 to 2 in 1000 so still a very very low risk!! and the research to support the link is sketchy. I'm continuing with my medication throughout my pregnancy and my doctor is completely fine with it. Get a second opinion :-)

graceb122 Wed 30-Oct-13 09:37:59

thank you I was so worried I went to see an obstrition.
he said he had seen lots of babies born when mums take that drug.
but im high risk and will be moniterd through out my pregnancy closely
because of being on citlopram

I am worried but they said they would be able to detect heart problems from early on....
my doctor is a donkey!
also there is a small chance of heart defects but chances are everything wil be fine..
fingers crossed as worried sick xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now