Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Are you a Slummy Mummy?

(23 Posts)
emilybeatrice Tue 08-Oct-13 22:25:35

Hello,

I'm new to the world or blogging and would appreciate some feedback on my posts, Happy to offer up some in return. looking to link in with fellow mummy bloggers to support each other on this journey.....

aslummymummy.wordpress.com/

E

quoteunquote Wed 09-Oct-13 11:25:52

What is a slummy mummy?

WipsGlitter Wed 09-Oct-13 11:35:22

Hi, my first though it that your background is a bit bright and sort of takes over the from rest of the content, ie makes it a bit hard to focus on. Your posts are good, but maybe a wee bit long.

I loved the butternut squash picture and caption!!

emilybeatrice Wed 09-Oct-13 12:57:31

Thank you for your feedback, I had a subtler background previously, Ill put that back up :-)

A Slummy Mummy, is really the reverse of a yummy mummy, its a mum who tries to have it all but cant quite manage it. Its a mum less concerned about her looks (doesn't have time) and having the 'perfect' image of family life (the vintage kitchen and immaculate carpets).

A mum who burns the homemade bread and cupcakes, and never quite manages to reach the bottom of the washing basket. Who's craft projects never look as good as the illustration in the instruction manual and who's local tooth fairy is rather forgetful

In honestly a Slummy Mummy is most mums out there.... my blog aims to encourage women that they're not alone, its ok to stay in your jammies for the day, in fact, its perfectly normal.

quoteunquote Thu 10-Oct-13 00:08:37

So for being normal you are labelled slummy? nice.

emilybeatrice Thu 10-Oct-13 15:12:41

it's meant to be satirical, does it not come across that way?

To be honest I hate all the yummy mummy / slummy mummy type labels. We are women, not just mummies. I wouldn't read your blog because of the name

emilybeatrice Thu 10-Oct-13 15:27:43

Thank you for your feedback, its good to hear what people think, do you have any blogs? be great to read some others x

I don't blog. I'm not interesting or brave enough smile. I'm very jealous envy

GeekInThePink Sat 12-Oct-13 23:04:43

I like your blog!
I take the 'slummy mummy' name to be a bit tongue in cheek.

Your writing seems effortless and I like the chatty style.

The actual blog presentation is a tad Sophie Kinsella and that isn't my bag. But hey she has made a fortune out her shopaholic books!

Keep going smile

JakeBullet Sat 12-Oct-13 23:13:52

I like your blog, and I enjoy the tongue in cheek "slummy mummy" thing. Photos are great and have a nice informal look to them.

I will never be a blogger....not good enough at writing but love several blogs which I read regularly.

perplexedpirate Sat 12-Oct-13 23:18:32

'A slummy mummy is most mums out there'?
Nice. hmm

perplexedpirate Sat 12-Oct-13 23:22:08

And you've asked for feedback and are now slagging it off on your blog?!
Are you for real?
shock
Stick your self-indulgent twaddle in your cup-cake oven, sweetcheeks.
Sorry if that sounds 'untactful'.

Katkins1 Sat 12-Oct-13 23:25:22

Actually, I think posting mundane updates on your day is quite boring. I didn't wash up, the kids made a mess. Yeah, we all do that. Have you not got anything else to say? And yes, I do blog myself. I'm just not doing it for the publicity though.

Wow! I hadn't clicked on your blog when I posted my above comment but I did after seeing that you had blogged about the feedback you received. I wasn't untactful surely! You asked what we thought. I didn't seek you out to force my opinion on you. What's the point in asking if you don't want an honest answer??

Seriously, it was meant to be a helpful comment. You really need to adjust your attitude. How horrible.

quoteunquote Sun 13-Oct-13 14:41:22

*‘So for being normal you are labelled slummy? nice*’

It’s amazing how untactful people can be from behind a screen. However, always conscious of my readers (you guys have helped me hit the big 1000 hits in two weeks wooo hoo)- I won’t be baking cakes this time due to a food colouring incident (fail) !!, I have decided to examine these comments and clear up any misunderstanding: Here is my Passive aggressive response

really?

I asked what it you meant, when you told me,

I responded that it wasn't nice, it's not, just in case that still hasn't sunk in, and please include a link to this thread in your blog. rather than selecting things out of context.

Here are some links to on line dictionaries, to help you understand the meaning of the word slummy.

www.thefreedictionary.com/slummy

www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/slummy

slummy.askdefine.com/

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slummy

dictionary.reference.com/browse/slummy

dictionary.reverso.net/english-definition/slummy

The english language has a so many descriptive words, maybe you could spend a little time finding a word that isn't negative.

raciroo Mon 14-Oct-13 15:26:35

I really like your blog, the tone and chatty style are great, I LOL'd at several posts. When I began blogging, childless-ly, I always envisaged being a yummy mummy blogger at some point, but since having DD I have written one post in 4 months, and am hit with the realisation my blog style and tone will either need to radically change to reflect my life now, or be archived!

Well done for creating something real, you'll never please everyone and no-one HAS to read it, so do it for you and your sanity, and above all, enjoy it.

emilybeatrice Mon 14-Oct-13 15:32:58

Appologies to those who were offended. I am in no way adverse to constructive criticism just untactful negative comments, I merely wanted to clarify that the term ‘Slummy Mummy’ is not meant to have negative connotations. As mothers we are often subjected to such labels and the aim of my blog was to highlight and flip this, if this meaning has been missed and is unclear then I clearly need to work on it.

‘So for being normal you are labelled slummy? nice.’- I see this as untactful

‘To be honest I hate all the yummy mummy / slummy mummy type labels. We are women, not just mummies.’ – I completely agree!!!

nomorecrumbs Mon 14-Oct-13 15:33:36

Bwahaha. Nice blog.

I do have a question for you though, maybe you can answer it on one of your blog posts.

Most SAHM, to me, seem to be complaining they never have time to themselves and are constantly running around after their children, exhausted.

How can you then explain the popularity of sites such as Mumsnet, and the beautifully crafted wording of your blog, which doubtless took a significant chunk of your day?

wink

I do like your blog but it reads just like the book 'Confessions of a Slummy Mummy'- if you are Fiona O Neil please hurry up and finish your next book. I've really enjoyed all your books.

If you aren't have you read the book and if you haven't you may want to avoid reading it in case you replicate it?

applecrumbleandcream Wed 30-Oct-13 12:04:32

Great blog. Really amusing.

TheNewson Sun 10-Nov-13 09:56:55

Hello,

Welcome to the Mumsnet bloggers!

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your blog and please keep it up. My blogs have a similar tone www.thenews-on.blogspot.com
so I'm completely on your wavelength.

Happy blogging xx

Ecuador Sun 10-Nov-13 10:03:47

I loathe all that yummy mummy/scummy mummy drivel tbh. Done to death and twice as dull.

hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now