PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Do we still have a chat thread for BLOGGERS?

(40 Posts)
MmeLindor Mon 02-Sep-13 14:50:48

I have been really busy recently, and haven't had time to pop into the Bloggers' Forum. Is it just me or are there a lot of weird threads around?

Anyway, how are you all doing? We used to have some naice chats on here, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

alexpolistigers Fri 13-Sep-13 14:27:33

Is anyone interested in doing a book-spine poem on their blog? I will be happy to link to yours from my blog and get a chain going!

landofmakebelieve Wed 11-Sep-13 11:59:52

Hi, I agree, there hasn't been much in the way of posting on here lately! All a bit too random.
This is my blog if anyone wants a read - I've just blogged, as it happens. About letting kids watch 'scary' films grin
castawaywithdreams.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/childrens-films-ratings-and-when-to-let-them-watch/

alexpolistigers Tue 10-Sep-13 19:24:54

That was a nice post, Stitch!

I think anyone who reads my blog will be able to guess what sort of books I have!

Stitchthis Tue 10-Sep-13 19:13:07

Hello Ginger! Quite like old times!

If anybody fancies joining in, I've just done a post about reading fodder - Do you want to do a link you kind of thing? No idea how to do it but happy to learn… We will be able to see which of us are intellectuals ( and having seen my collection, which of those are not!)

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Tue 10-Sep-13 13:04:06

Oh I forgot I namechanged. I used to be PetiteRaleuse, so some of you do 'know' me

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Tue 10-Sep-13 13:03:16

I've been having a really difficult time the last few months so not blogged very much or done anything else really.

Here's mine though : Pint-sized Rants

I have lots to say but don't want to put it all online unfortunately. I'm going to make an autumn resolution to get my blog up again. I miss the Bloggers section chats.

I won't be at Blogfest. No money this year sad

Hello! <waves nervously>

I'm a bit sporadic when it comes to blogging - I'll write loads in ten days then nothing for a few weeks. It depends on what I'm thinking about and how badly well other writing is going.

My ramblings

alexpolistigers Sun 08-Sep-13 19:35:26

I don't worry about how much time blogging takes - I am doing it because I enjoy it! I love languages and etymology and I spend a lot of time reading and researching anyway, the blog gives me somewhere to focus it all!

I like the quilts and I do enjoy crafts, but I think I would get stuck writing about them probably because I would get sidetracked by the etymology of quilt or how to say craft in half a dozen other languages. I like reading other people's articles on them though.

Stitchthis Sun 08-Sep-13 19:15:53

Thanks Alex. I buy quilts vintage and antique mainly. Then I sell them on to people who really like them too. It's actually just a cheap excuse for me to get lots of lovely quilts! My office is packed with them. They are mainly American. I have the bloggers network to thank for all of this actually. I started this blog about two and half years ago I think and it's now part of my life. The experience I've had on here, WordPress and Twitter has helped me get a new job and I've also got Etsy and coding experience now too. My blog is a bit of a mixed bag though. I do tutorials and show things I have made or found that I also do comment and chat. It's my sort of diary I guess. I know others here worry about how Much time blogging takes. My blogs are quite short because I rely on pictures a lot too. I guess, it's partly to do with the fact that typing can be quite hard work on bad days. Thank god for my iPhone!

alexpolistigers Sat 07-Sep-13 18:08:43

Thanks Tee!

I had a great holiday. I had timed it just right to go, there was a fascinating festival on, with people dressed up in medieval costumes. And I bought some language books - there might be some good material to use in my blog! It was really a beautiful place, I would love to go again!

Also, I've somehow managed to come home with a pasta machine (it was Italy, after all!) and a set of special pasta cutters, so now I need some great recipe ideas!

Tee2072 Sat 07-Sep-13 17:54:21

That's exactly what it is Alex.

There's a page around here somewhere all about it. Probably on the Bloggers front page.

And hi! Welcome home. How were your holidays?

alexpolistigers Sat 07-Sep-13 14:44:12

Oh, and here's my blog too

Stitch - those quilts on your blog look lovely. Do you do other crafts too? I am into latch-hook rugmaking, although strictly in the winter only, as it's too hot in the summer to be using wool!

alexpolistigers Sat 07-Sep-13 14:42:14

//tentatively pokes head round the door//

Is this thread still going?

What is this blog fest all about? Is it a series of workshops on how to improve your blog or something like that?

babybouncer Thu 05-Sep-13 22:27:23

Gus - I find it helps to use a desktop so I face the wall when I'm blogging and can't see the mess!

Tee2072 Thu 05-Sep-13 12:03:08

Oops, bad link there Tee's Blog

CSS is easy. It's HTML with some other bits. PHP on the other hand...

You can choose a static page: Theme-customize-static front page

katese11 Wed 04-Sep-13 17:01:00

Technical stuff? Pfft, no!

I want the custom design...but it takes me a while to earn $30 - not sure I can justify blowing it on fonts. Agh, WordPress have me just where they want me!

Stitchthis Wed 04-Sep-13 16:13:25

I've got the $30 upgrade and love it but then I'm very superficial and get v excited about fonts and colours. I need to learn more about CSS code tho. Anybody know anything?

katese11 Wed 04-Sep-13 15:56:29

Know that feeling Gus! Hope blogfest helps you get your mojo back

Gusthetheatrecat Wed 04-Sep-13 11:09:57

Helloooo! I love a good chat thread, although I don't seem to have the staying power to keep up with who is who. There are lots of blogs I recognise here, though: London with a toddler, common sense mum, salt and caramel waves.
Mine is www.cornerbycorner.co.uk. Feeling a bit down about blogging at the mo: millions of ideas but no time or cash. Suddenly very self -conscious about what a pit the house is, and how my whole life generally is not very stylish. Ridiculous, really.
But I am going to blog fest, so hoping this will fill me with renewed enthusiasm!

katese11 Tue 03-Sep-13 23:26:06

sure there must be a way stitch...but guessing it's a paid upgrade? Or a change of theme?

I am wibbling about whether to pay $30 to get the custom design upgrade, just to change my fonts. It looks wayyy better on the preview with some chunkier headings, but $30 for fonts? Really?

liveotherwise Tue 03-Sep-13 22:22:53

I'm coming. I'll be in blog clinic advising on wordpress, and doing a panel too smile must sort out accommodation. Customising wordpress qs?

MmeLindor Tue 03-Sep-13 22:18:34

That sounds like a nice weekend in the making, babybouncer

Stitch
Congrats on selling a quilt. I'm still waiting on my quilt from my bridesmaid - she bought the material 16 years ago and didn't get around to making it.

I'm sure that's possible but Tee is the best one to advise you on that. My blog theme has an option to make a static page the front page.

Stitchthis Tue 03-Sep-13 19:43:24

Actually it wld be good to hear what people think about customising Wordpress while we are chatting. I want a static page that clicks thru to my posts page...how?!

Stitchthis Tue 03-Sep-13 19:40:49

Can't make it this year as it us OHs birthday weekend and I don't have the excuse of a free ticket this year (hint) so will admire from afar this time. Am celebrating as sold a quilt today...yessssss smile

babybouncer Tue 03-Sep-13 15:24:31

I've got my ticket for blogfest - I'm going with my SIL who went last year, so she's going to hold my hand. I think I'll have to stay over the night before - possibly the night after too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now