Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

asked to breastfeed in the toilets on train!!

(207 Posts)
Channicholls Wed 26-Jun-13 13:30:08

i was on a northern rail train yesterday with my 3 month old daughter. she required feeding. I was sat behind my pram and no one could see what I was doing.

When the ticket collector came to check tickets he asked if I could do what I was doing in the toilets. I responded by saying 'what breastfeeding' and he said yes. I told him I was fine where I was and didn't move and he left it. during the whole exchange he had his hand up and was making faces as though what I was doing was perverse.

I was really embarrassed and left feeling extremely uncomfortable and with everyone in the carriage watching me.

I called Northern rail today to make a complaint and was told by them that there was nothing they could do and its down to personal preference of conductors.

what are my next steps? I feel like I was treated badly and that this shouldn't be allowed by such a large company (or anyone for that matter).

Channicholls Wed 26-Jun-13 14:15:05

@aerial_emma wrote it.

and tweet was

@northernrailorg requested my niece #breastfeed #baby in toilets on #uk #train. called to complain and was informed they wont do anything.

duvet Wed 26-Jun-13 14:33:04

No way, that is awful! How dare he! Hope you get a least a massive apology.

sydenhamhiller Wed 26-Jun-13 14:38:56

I think apology to OP not enough. Training for all conductors (and other train staff) and public apology.

<Have just been explaining keel-hauling to DC ...ponders...>

HomeHelpMeGawd Wed 26-Jun-13 14:38:59

Says you've been sent an email?!

phantomhairpuller Wed 26-Jun-13 14:40:25

What did the email say?

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Jun-13 14:41:32

I added a tweet & quoted @aerial_emma to LLL.

GiveMumABreak Wed 26-Jun-13 14:43:38

I am so angry about this! angry

Figgygal Wed 26-Jun-13 14:45:44

Training required most definitely silly man!!

I tweeted them (I never tweet) looks like they are getting irritated!

expectingtoomuch Wed 26-Jun-13 14:48:37

Thanks Chann, was trying to find it to retweet in the hope it got noticed.

MrsSpagBol Wed 26-Jun-13 14:49:27

Retweeted and tweeted northern rail. Outrageous!!

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Jun-13 14:50:04

I just got a tweet back from northern rail saying they will only deal with the customer. Not me as I am a third party.

I asked them for a link to their website where they explain their support for bf.

expectingtoomuch Wed 26-Jun-13 14:52:31

They are getting a bit arsey aren't they....

I have RT.

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Jun-13 14:53:25

Aye grin

expectingtoomuch Wed 26-Jun-13 14:53:56

In fact looking at replies at others complaints they are a bit arsey with most people!

MustafaCake Wed 26-Jun-13 14:54:01

Wow, I bet that conductor wouldn't be happy having his lunch in the train toilets!

Stupid ignorant man, don't let it put you off BFing, the vast majority of people are very supportive.

GwendolynMoon Wed 26-Jun-13 14:56:27

I have retweeted your Aunt and tweeted Northern Rail smile

ToomuchIsBackOnBootcamp Wed 26-Jun-13 14:58:31

Northern Rail that is shite. Retraining needed! Plus apology and preferably free tickets for OP!!

I don't have twitter but posting in the hope enough mentions on this thread will make it a google hit for their company recognition software.

Again, Northern Rail that is appalling.

ToomuchIsBackOnBootcamp Wed 26-Jun-13 15:00:01

OP if you ask MN Towers to get this moved to Chat/AIBU, you may get more traffic and more retweets?

expectingtoomuch Wed 26-Jun-13 15:00:51

Northern rail got voted worst rail network in the country last year...

rockybalboa Wed 26-Jun-13 15:03:05

That is outrageous! Sounds like you've already had some good advice about what to do next which I can't add to. Personal preference of the conductor my arse...

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:03:45

They are no longer responding to my tweets.

MummyOfSunbeam Wed 26-Jun-13 15:04:34

Yes I would LOVE to write a complaint letter! In fact I was considering doing it anyway just from reading that post! If we can organise and do it collectively then that could really help them take notice!

Jojobump1986 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:05:33

star they probably can't keep up with all of them! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now