PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

What do you do and how are you supposed to feel when you find out the author of a blog you have followed for years has died over the weekend

(3 Posts)
peekyboo Mon 18-Mar-13 13:20:54

I think you have to allow yourself to grieve, for someone you cared about and felt a connection with. I've had a similar situation and my family thought I was a bit strange, being so upset over someone I never knew, but it's how it feels to you that's important.
It also shows how we can all touch people, which is a big responsibility and an honour too. I'm a great believer in the connections we can make in this online world, not just through blogs and have made some important and close friends who I would never have met in real life and may never meet, however long we know each other.

BeebiesQueen Mon 18-Mar-13 09:56:15

the lovely misty at it's misty, seriously just did a great post on this The sense of community and the sadness you feel for some one you dont 'know'

There are many reasons blogs stop, I've taken several breaks and its not because I dont appreciate my readers its more because I'm not in a great place mentally and I find it hard to be so 'black' on the blog, I want it to be a happy place, but a real place. So when I've had periods of deep depression (deeper than usual) I stop.

I hope that makes sence. Please dont let this put you off reading blogs, its great that you feel so attached to the writers

Iheartpasties Mon 18-Mar-13 09:38:12

I have read and been reading a blog for at least two and a half years, I went back to the beginning and read all of the posts as it drew me in, and then caught up to 'real time' after a while and have always kept up to date with it. Through this blog I found another blog that I did the same with, and still follow that one now. It was via the newer blog that I found out that the author of the first blog had died over the weekend. I feel massively grateful to have found out about it, otherwise I'm sure I would have always wondered what had happened to her. I feel terribly sad for the author's husband and family and her friends too.

It just feels sad and I just don't really know anyone else who reads blogs so I didn't know who to share these thoughts with.

Anyone else had the same thing happen? I have had a few blogs that I read just stop and I do wonder about the people who write them. One that I hope one day will be picked up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now