Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Google+

(10 Posts)
FlipFantasia Wed 20-Feb-13 21:56:04

Hello lovely bloggy folk

OK, so I'd love to know more about google+.

I've noticed the g+ button on more and more blogs and it's got me interested. I joined g+ in RL but never use it and find it meh (probably because everyone I know is really on FB rather than g+). But if my favourite bloggers are on there (and presumably lots more blogs I could discover!) then I'm willing to give it a try...

So:
Do you use g+ as a blogger?
How? As in, what do you get out of it? Is it fun? Or a source of traffic? Or both? And what on earth is a circle?
And how would I go about joining it? Just using the gmail address I have in my blog name? I would really want to avoid using my real name...

Finally, how would I add a g+ button to my wordpress.com blog?

TIA!

PS my blog is Low Impact Parenting

FlipFantasia Fri 22-Feb-13 12:04:53

Ok, I'll assume no one uses g+ then!

MmeLindor Fri 22-Feb-13 13:30:40

I will join in cause I have tried and failed to get on with Google+ and hope that someone else will come along and give good advice.

Tee2072 Fri 22-Feb-13 15:34:37

Google needs to stick to search engines and email clients. Google+ is unwieldy and no one is really using it. I expect it to die the death soon, I really do.

Even my husband, who jumps on all the new social media bandwagons via his work with fandoms finds it useless, and he likes all those things!

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Fri 22-Feb-13 15:43:51

Tee is right! G+ is a strange thing, I've never really figured out what it's supposed to be.

And I don't think you can sign up with anything but your real name, which is another tick on the list of negatives.

FlipFantasia Fri 22-Feb-13 16:37:11

Thanks Tee - sounds like I'm not missing anything then grin. Thinking about it, my loves-all-things tech dh is also not a fan...

Saskia, defo don't want my real name attached to my blog name (despite some RL friends knowing) so that's a big turn off!

This is probably a Good Thing as I barely have time to blog so hardly need another place to waste time on the interweb...

MmeLindor Fri 22-Feb-13 21:07:45

I think you can have a blog page - but I have to say I went to have another look today and it is just so boring. Hardly anyone is using it and my timeline doesn't move at all.

I do like their Hangouts though - they are handy.

Tee2072 Sat 23-Feb-13 07:32:38

I think they have done well with hangouts, apps and, of course, their search engines are brilliant.

They need to leave social media to others.

MmeLindor Tue 26-Feb-13 13:08:29

Nickie on Geekalicious linked to this article on Google+ which I found interesting.

I guess that G+ is different to the other SM platforms, in that they offered something that users liked, and that is why they became popular. Google has flung a lot of money at G+ and while people are keen to use it, they are not quite convinced how and why to use it.

I am giving it a go, but still feel quite lost.

spicers1976 Wed 27-Feb-13 19:49:49

I love G+ and use it much like my GFC reader that I used to use a lot when I was on the blogger platform. It's a good way to share with other people and find new content.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now