Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

What is this section meant to be about?

(116 Posts)
DillyTante Fri 14-Sep-12 18:40:30

You know, I'm finding that I rarely use this bloggers section anymore because I don't really know the point of it.

Is it somewhere where we discuss blogging related issues, e.g. Technical, writing, ideas etc. Is it where we share our latest blog posts? We do that on one thread and it's not very interactive, I feel that people post and run and don't read other people's posts. Some people post separately when they post but if we all did that the place would be over run and you'd never really see anything.

This isn't supposed to be where we share other people's blogs, though I'm not sure where on MN we'd do that then if not for the bloggers section.

There are a lot of people who just come on this section and never go on the rest of MN, just treat it as if it is it's own little chat forum. But that never goes down well on MN, for good reason, you never really get a feel for the ethos of the place, and it feels like you just don't care about MN enough. So then I get irrationally angry at people who post random questions that are nothing to do with blogging and would be better on the Relationship or Education (etc) sections.

So what is this space meant to be all about? What do YOU want from it, how can we make it better, because I mostly find it quite slow & boring ATM but I'd like to hang around here a bit more.

Tee2072 Sun 13-Jan-13 08:06:05

I think I remember that, MmeL. And it's a good idea.

But I do think they need to look at their rules about posting links to blogs on the main boards as well. I think it's silly that you can't link to your blog even if someone specifically asks to see it.

MmeLindor Sun 13-Jan-13 10:47:22

I can see their point though. Cause it would be easy to abuse that - I would hang out on pre teens topic and casually mention Jump! Mag every so often till someone asked to see it.

It would depend on the restraint of the bloggers not to take advantage of it.

Tee2072 Sun 13-Jan-13 11:45:37

See? This is why we can't have nice things. grin

MmeGuillotine Sun 13-Jan-13 16:25:57

I think there's an obvious difference between someone linking to their blog because it is relevant (for example, someone asked about publishing for Kindle on the Creative Writing bit and I had to rather coyly give them a search term to find my pieces about this rather than just giving them the bloody link!) and someone else basically just spamming for the sake of it.

We're all adults here - can we not be trusted to tell the difference and self police ourselves?

Tee2072 Sun 13-Jan-13 18:22:32

Exactly, MmeG.

If the site is self-moderated, then let us self-moderate!

MmeLindor Sun 13-Jan-13 18:27:50

Yy I agree with that. But MNHQ would have to make it clear to both bloggers and non bloggers

MmeGuillotine Sun 13-Jan-13 19:15:28

It's a revolution! waves pitchfork sits astride a cannon

Wasn't there a thread recently when one of the bloggers was posting links to their blog at the end of their every post apropos of, well, nothing really and other people from here gently and tactfully told them that this wasn't The Done Thing? No one died and it all ended well - I don't think any of us objects to keeping a casual eye on things and stepping in if a newbie, for example, doesn't stick to the rules.

Tee2072 Sun 13-Jan-13 20:10:07

MmeG step away from the French Revolution...slowly...that's a good girl. grin

MmeGuillotine Sun 13-Jan-13 20:24:31

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, TEE!

FlipFantasia Tue 15-Jan-13 03:03:24

What a great thread!

I'm a MNer who started blogging and created a separate persona to do so (I used to post on the bloggers forum as lowimpactmama)...but I found I just couldn't be arsed with two different MN names and that I didn't mind if my MN friends found my blog (since I'm friends with so many of them on FB anyway!).

I agree that this bit of MN is quite quiet now compared to when I started blogging - I rarely dip into this bit anymore though I do like seeing threads like this (there are so many great bloggers on here!).

MmeGuillotine I saw your coy hints on that thread in Creative Writing and it did make me groan about the no links to blogs on the main boards - it's such a "Proper MN" and *Bloggers Backwater" distinction!

Anyway, I shall watch with interest whether MN make any useful changes to the bloggers network!

MmeGuillotine Tue 15-Jan-13 12:58:51

Flip, I know, right? It was pretty embarrassing!

MmeGuillotine Tue 15-Jan-13 13:04:06

Hit 'post' too early there!

What I meant to say is that it was pretty embarrassing and also more than a little shamefaced when it really didn't need to be. There's far too many people on Mumsnet who think 'blogs' are basically just tiresome accounts of everyday domestic doings and don't realise that actually that's really not the case AT ALL and is actually a quite old fashioned way of looking at it.

To be frank, I'm beginning to feel uneasy being part of a blogger's network on a site where we are apparently encouraged to feel a bit embarrassed about our blogs. I'm actually really proud of mine and know that it's respected all over the globe so this sneaking about and being scared to mention it even if it is COMPLETELY RELEVANT just in case someone takes offensive is starting to piss me off a bit.

MmeLindor Tue 15-Jan-13 15:12:19

Good point, MmeG but could you put the pitchfork down while we are chatting.

All this LesMis stuff is going to your head.

Been meaning to ask you about that. What is the historian's take on it?

MmeGuillotine Tue 15-Jan-13 15:46:11

I'm not a fan of Les Mis. Wrong French Revolution plus I hate musicals.

I'll hide this thread now, I think.

MmeLindor Tue 15-Jan-13 15:48:32

Was that because of my comment? Was an attempt at humour, sorry.

I agree with you that we need more support from MNHQ on our position outwith the BN. I hope that they come back to this thread.

Tee2072 Tue 15-Jan-13 18:23:12

Yes, that's it exactly. Almost like we're some dirty little secret of MN.

I hope you didn't really hide the thread MmeG. I think your opinion is worth a lot here.

Stitchthis Sat 19-Jan-13 08:26:20

Hi guys. I read this latest exchange with (self) interest...I quite often include Links to my blog on the arts and crafts threads And have never been reprimanded. Mind you, it's always relevant to an ongoing thread.

I agree with Mme guillotine. I normally do. She had every right to be proud of her blog, As we all do. This area is good for the Mechanics behind the blog eg code, widgets, marketing. Less so for content. But that's ok by me. I do my own content!

I've been thinking about what this blogging malarky has done for me...it's changed my life. I have changed my RL career and won jobs as a result and got all creative again. Why would I be ashamed of my blog if it delivered that?! Exactly. Up the revolution grin

MmeGuillotine Sat 19-Jan-13 15:02:16

I'm back. I left because I, wrongly, took MmeL's post as a warning that I was speaking out of turn and I didn't want to derail the thread or get us all into trouble or something. smile

I'm not sure that Mumsnet want us to be ashamed of our blogs but this rule about not mentioning them elsewhere isn't exactly encouraging us to be proud of them either or to think of them as being an actual valid contribution. It does make it seem like they're going along with the completely erroneous assumption that we're all over here wittering on about potty training or scavenging for freebies from companies so what we're saying can never actually be helpful or relevant. That's not right.

peekyboo Mon 21-Jan-13 12:29:39

No, and even if we do some wittering occasionally, it's because our blogs are like us - individual, different every day, hoping to connect with people. Compare that to glossy, manufactured articles available online, written to order and angled more for SEO than the readers who find them. Blogs win every time in my opinion.

MmeGuillotine Mon 21-Jan-13 12:31:50

Yes, there's nothing wrong with wittering but there is SO MUCH MORE to us than that. smile

Luce808 Mon 21-Jan-13 16:04:29

I'm proud of my blog too, and I get a bit frustrated at times that there's a bit of an 'us and them' set-up. It either feels like a bit of an afterthought, or an add-on without the resource given to really make it a valuable place to be.

Tee2072 Tue 22-Jan-13 12:15:28

Glad you came back MmeG. grin

I do think we could do a lot on the general message boards to expel the 'Blogs are so boring, why would anyone write/read one' myth that is bandied about.

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Jan-13 16:59:52

Apols for radio silence - we are listening, though, and mulling what we can best do to address your points. We think we're on the right track, but there's a bit of ironing out to do - if you can just bear with us, we'll let you know shortly how we plan to improve things all round.

MmeG So sorry to hear you think MNHQ feels like that - I promise you that's not the case at all.

Tee2072 I think tackling those who <ahem> underestimate blogs (and bloggers) on the Talk boards is a great idea.

Tee2072 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:31:45

Excellent Kate. You always were my favourite!

So...we can link to our blogs on the main boards? [hopeful emoticon] Soon? grin

Luce808 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:51:04

My most recent blog post was featured over the weekend (thank you Mumsnet!) but I noticed that it generated very little extra traffic as a result. Of all the people coming to my blog, the most came via Twitter or blogs that I follow. So I wonder what advantage (if any) there is to being either on the bloggers network or featured, in terms of traffic generated. I loved being featured, and I feel very proud of the fact that I was, but if I was just looking for extra readers, the bloggers network doesn't necessarily supply that.

So I suppose my question is (in relation to this discussion), what does this section offer bloggers that is over and above just posting on Mumsnet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now