Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Blog-prompt: School hols - too short, or too long?

(21 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Jul-12 15:00:44

We hope you've got through the first week of the school hols with as much calm and serenity as you can muster! On which note, our blog-prompt this week is 'School summer holidays: too blimmin'  long or too bleedin' short?'

If you're looking for food for thought, this might be interesting. Pointing to evidence that children from poorer families fall behind over the school holidays while their middle-class peers benefit from holidays and museum trips, the author suggests that the summer holidays should be much shorter. What do you think?

Or perhaps you are struggling <wipes own brow> to juggle work and childcare over the lo-o-ong school hols - and think there must be a better way to organise the school calendar. Year-round schools exist in the US, with families able to take their holidays much more flexibly - could it work here?

Don't feel that you have to stick to these topics though - any and all summer hols-related posts are very welcome! We'll be picking out a few to feature next week, so do let us know here on the thread if you've blogged;  if you can't quite manage it but have something to say, tell us what you think here on the thread.

CoffeeMummy Thu 26-Jul-12 21:13:59

I'm obviously desperate for an outlet for my school summer holiday frustration - I've blogged already! It's here

I'm definitely in the TOO LONG camp grin Hope I'm not on my own...!

Marking place as reminder to join in.

landofmakebelieve Fri 27-Jul-12 00:21:44

I blogged about the summer holidays and how it is too long and they start to moan they're bored 5 minutes into it! smile
I also blogged about how to keep them amused and still learning things while on their holidays here.....
castawaywithdreams.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/making-your-children-do-school-work-at-home-in-the-summer-holidays/

borninastorm Fri 27-Jul-12 16:30:40

teenboy has finished school this summer, he's been home for just one week and the tantrums have given me a sore throat already!

TheNewson Sat 28-Jul-12 18:04:16

I actually wish they were longer, but then again, I'm not working anymore, so I no longer have to worry about that juggle.

This week we have been to the park with a picnic most days and the cost for the week has been a tenner (for two). The local museums are free and we can swim for free under a local council initiative. I don't believe it is all about the money, money.....

I know I'm probably a lone voice, but I don't miss the school runs and I like the relaxation the holiday brings. No rushing about. No clubs etc. But I guess it just depends on circumstances and individuals. And the weather!

More on that weather in my previous 'Wish you Weren't Here' blog. I also have another holiday related blog going live tomorrow...

Anna
www.thenews-on.blogspot.com

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 29-Jul-12 18:36:32

Impressed by everyone who's carved out the time <nudges SaltandCaramel in the ribs>.

If you've already written or are writing tonight, would be brill if you could tweet @MumsnetBloggers and include the hashtag #MNblogprompt. Suspect we've got some great bloggers who don't check in to the forums regularly, but who might be a bit more active on Twitter...

How else could we get the word out?

JUbilympiX Sun 29-Jul-12 18:49:47

Far too short. DD gets about 5 weeks which is barely enough time to visit relatives, go camping (our holiday), help out at her church holiday club, let alone mooch about being a nearly-teenager, getting up late, hanging about on street corners, going into town to look at shops etc. You can forget about museums etc as the only one near us is visited frequently and though I'd love to take her to galleries etc that I know well, they're all in London.

When I was he age I had about 9 weeks off in the summer. Both parents working. We did the rounds of better-off relatives who had adults at home, and got to know our cousins no matter how far away they lived, as a consequence. DD barely has time to see gm, aunt and uncle (no first cousins), let alone my cousins with kids her age. So she doesn't know them and they don't know her.

No time to get bored, poor thing. sad

There are also children who have a truly awful time at school and need a decent amount of time off in the summer to shrug off that dreadful black cloud which engulfs them all term. Long summer holidays can be instrumental in saving lives IMO (I have first hand experience of this and am not over-stating).

iexist Sun 29-Jul-12 20:31:32

Have just blogged about the start of the LONG summer vacation http://chroniclesofdomesticdisaster.wordpress.com/. Life is one LONG party. But necessary as kids and teachers on their knees by the end of term and usually too hot to concentrate.

Tee2072 Sun 29-Jul-12 20:40:30

Not one that's a problem for me yet as my son starts school in September, so this is just a bump.

grin

ilikesweetpeas Sun 29-Jul-12 20:48:24

Too short! Love doing things with DD in the school holidays and am looking after neighbours child for 2 weeks as well as I appreciate it is hard for families where parents work full time. Have happy memories of my childhood summers and want my daughter to have the same.

hjh72 Sun 29-Jul-12 21:13:18

Thanks to problems prior to adoption and this leading to an attachment disorder, I am in the far too long camp!
Though, so far, so good. Just another 6 weeks to get through.......
www.adoptandkeepcalm.wordpress.com

Dogless Sun 29-Jul-12 21:40:07

I definitely don't think the hols are too long in terms of their education- learning isn't something that only happens at school. Holidays give kids a chance to develop other interests and life skills- even if that skill is not-getting-bored...

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 29-Jul-12 21:48:50

Right now I'm in the Too Short camp. Ask me again in 3 weeks and I'm damned sure it'll have changed.

Dogless Sun 29-Jul-12 21:49:12

(but then I say that as a parent who doesn't mind getting them getting the Christmas decorations out in July- if that's what it takes to prevent the getting bored! This is what we got up to today... rainydaygames.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/fairylight-fun )

sonnyandluca Mon 30-Jul-12 12:44:44

My vote goes for 'too long' ... by about 6 weeks!

Then again I do have 2 pre-school toddlers so my vote is purely for selfish reasons .... oh how I miss the empty museums and play centres ... is it September yet?

Mark, Sonny, and Luca.
(The Adventures of Sonny & Luca)

staranise Mon 30-Jul-12 13:08:40

Too short! The children are exhausted by the endnof term and need a long break. Bu the time we've visited family, had a holiday and met up with friends, there's barely any time left to just hang out. Yes, the house gets trashed and i can't get anything useful done butanother two weeks of holiday would be ideal.

I think it's good for children to get bored and just mooch around - many children's daily lives (mine included) are overly-scheduled and restrcited. It's so nice in the hols to have nothing to do.

gabbymum Mon 20-Aug-12 18:58:00

CoffeeMummy - I LOVE that blog - spot on!! Are you me???? Roll on September - I can't bloody wait!!

WolfinaRedCloak Mon 20-Aug-12 19:11:36

Too long - it should be split equally with the winter holiday, 4 weeks each. This way I can avoid more of the bitterly freezing up to your knees in snow hike twice a day to get dc1 to school whilst dragging bitterly freezing mardy miserable I want to hibernate dc2 with us.

Avenue57 Wed 29-Aug-12 17:22:37

Way too long - I'm 'over' the holidays and now cannot WAIT to get back to normal in 1 weeks time

HURRY UP TIME AND PASS QUICKLY

eccosse Wed 29-Aug-12 21:01:44

Just about right I think! Holidays here are 8 weeks. While it is a bit of a challenge trying to get work done, we manage some how.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now