Has anyone else had success with Davina?

(96 Posts)
TettyLouBar Sun 20-Sep-09 12:54:29

Hi there,
this might not be for everyone, but over the last few years I have collected Davinas exercise Dvd's (various well-meant crimbo gifts etc) ...well they sat on the shelf gathering dust for the past few years until DD reached the grand old age of one and I realised that my weight hadnt budged since breast feeding finished when she was 7 months.
So I started doing a few of her workouts and mixing them up with the different dvds each week. And I can honestly say Ive never been so fit, full of energy and my shape has really changed!!

Initially I just did the 40 mins of workouts 3-4 times a week without changing my diet at all. (My biggest down fall is a glass of wine in the evenings and chocolate). I didnt really lose any weight, but I toned LOADS and my butt, legs and arms have really shaped up. I started to fit into jeans and tops alot better even though I wasn't losing. (I did this for about 6-7 weeks religiously whilst DD napped)

Then 3 weeks ago i decided to use Septemeber as my post summer binge detox month and so far Ive lost 7lbs in 3 weeks!
I basically do the workouts 3 times a week (mixture of body sculpting, boxercise, aerobics, superfit and core stability. you need a small pair of dumbbells for low weight high repitition toning exercises) and Ive cut out alcohol completely and dont eat carbs after 3pm, I avoid bread in favour of rivita/crispbreads. Thats it!

I love my new look and people are commenting all the time that I have totally changed shape. Why didnt I do this ages ago???

Just thought I'd share my story as Ive tried EVERY DIET in the book over the years but the only thing that has worked for me is everything in moderation foodwise, ( I chose to cut out booze completely for the first month) and regular exercise.

Come join me??? smilesmilesmile

I did superfit yesterday - really enjoying that - I start to lag a bit about 25 minutes in, but gritted my teeth - find I have to drink water whilst 'marching it out' though. nothing today (so far) woke up late and a bit hungover (...)

poshdjc Thu 01-Oct-09 08:43:31

Yeh - first step made - chickened out on the super workout but did two sections from High energy five last night whildt Man U were playing - boxercise and abdominals. plus cool down. Aching this morning when I took DS to the childminders! Still, feel better for it - apart from DH telling me to keep the nosie down otherwise I'd wake DS! oops... I'm sure he's just jealous and trying to sabotage my efforts. Plan to have a day off today and another workout tomorrow night.

Til then!!!

TettyLouBar Thu 01-Oct-09 13:03:39

Well done girlies, were'll all giving it a good 'go' this week from the sounds of it! I'm having a rest day today but back on it tomo as Ive got hen weekend on Sat and some of the girls havent seen me since Ive lost 10lbs so I'm looking forward to showing off my results!
(I love it when someone notices your shape has changed, it gives me such a boost!) grin
I had my first glass of wine in a month last night at a Bodyshop party and although it was nice, I didnt enjoy it as much as I was expecting!! I think I've really turned a corner with my booze intake - I had such a strong 'habit' of drinking a 2-3 times during the week in the evenings and then again most weekends. I think I was associating it with 'relaxing' and having a 'treat' when it was more of a ritual. hmm

I think it will be much more fun on sat when we're all out together and drinking to the hen's last few days of freedom etc!!

poshdjc Fri 02-Oct-09 09:19:21

Done high energy five this morning. Waiting for work to come in - I'm a freelance writer. so took my chances! Its still not here so did boxercise and PUMP. Only may have to order a new copy because my DS has been munching on the DVD since I last used it and it kept jamming.

Smalline Sat 03-Oct-09 10:22:50

Davina's Super Sculpt on Wednesday, I really like that workout. Billy Blank's Ultimate Bootcamp this morning, a killer 50 minute workout.

2.5lbs off this week, a total of half a stone since 15th Augustgrin.

Smalline Tue 06-Oct-09 10:10:16

Davina's Power of 3 workout this morning, I managed to do the whole workout without being interrupted by the kids, that's a firstsmile.

TettyLouBar Tue 06-Oct-09 19:48:11

Having a rubbish week, DD full of cold and chesty cough, wont sleep during day, had to go shopping when she was a nursery monday and evenings Ive been so tired from getting up to DD at night Ive fallen right off the wagon. Hopefully she'll start to improve in next few days and I can get back to it. sad

YouLukaAmazing Tue 06-Oct-09 19:54:28

Message withdrawn

Smalline Wed 07-Oct-09 09:48:58

Sorry to hear about your DD TLB, hope she feels better soonsmile, cheer up you'll be back to your old routine in no timesmile.

Welcome YouLookaAmazing, love the name, hope you have blown the dust of the dvd ready for your workout today, let us know how you get on.

Mrsmouse, haven't heard from you in over a week now, how are you getting?

Did Davina's Super Sculpt with Super Abs this morning, my favourite one of her workouts, a very efficient workout, works all parts of the body in a short space of time, left me breathless and drippinggrin.

TettyLouBar Wed 07-Oct-09 20:23:09

Smalline: Know what you mean about the supersculpt, that is my fave and always leaves me feeling like Ive really worked out! I did superfit and abs this morning, first workout since last week. (DD at creche and feeling better thanks grin)

Welcome YouLukaAmazing! Dust off those Dvd's and get sweaty! You'll be svelt and gorgeous before you can say "carefully place your weights down"!! wink

Despite drinking copious amounts of alcohol and eating sinfully this weekend, Ive still managed to lose a lb so very pleased. smile

poshdjc Sat 10-Oct-09 09:46:40

I fell off the wagon last week a bit too. Had to visit family as father in law not well. Didnt fancy doing the DVD at the parents house! Loads of work in this week too so was exhausted. Just off to do super workout.

c'mon join me!!!!

Smalline Sat 10-Oct-09 10:23:37

Superfit yesterday, one of my least favourites I have to say, she does some Tae-Bo/Kick Boxing type moves in this workout, but because of the lack of instructions I find it hard to keep the workout flowing.

If anyone feels that they are ready to move on from Davina, I would definitely recommend Billy Blank's Tae-Bo workouts. Some of his dvds have an instructional section, where he goes through all the moves showing you how to execute them correctly, this is then followed by a basic workout, and then an advanced workout. I find his workouts easy to follow because he goes through the moves slowly with you first, then he speeds it up. When I first did his advanced section, I kept to the slow pace all the way through, until I felt confident/fit enough to keep up with the fast pace, Oh and he is a great motivator toosmile. I've noticed a vast improvement in my shape, saddle bags have gone, my 6 pack is more definedgrin, and I have bags more energy.

Have just done 45 mins of Tae-Bo, I felt every minute of itsmile.

No weight loss to report this week (no gain either), my own silly fault for drinking wine every night this weekwink.

TettyLouBar Mon 12-Oct-09 11:20:37

Will definately look out for some workouts by him Smalline, thanks.
Its soooo easy to have a glass of wine every night, Ive had to try really hard some nights to resist!! hmm
Keep it up though, no loss this week isnt the worst thing that can happen. I weigh in on a tues morning to it gives me monday to be angelic and eat really well and exercise well on mondays and usually I feel a little less worried about stepping onto the scales!! grin

Smalline Tue 13-Oct-09 10:00:32

David Kirsch's 'Ultimate Fitness Boot Camp' this morning, I managed to do some of the crab walks this time, couldn't do any last timesmile.

I going to try and not drink alcohol until Friday now, didn't have any last night, not sure I feel any better for it today, but I must try and have at least 2 alcohol free days a week.

Hope you get a good result today TLBsmile

TettyLouBar Tue 13-Oct-09 10:54:31

Lost another lb! so really pleased smile gonna keep going and have worked out if I lose a lb a week until crimbo I'll be weighing what I did when I got married!! heres hoping. hmm

Did high energy five legs and pump yesterday. Break today and back on it tomo. Ive even made a chart where Ive marked off my weight loss and I have it on my desktop on my computer, its spurring me on to keep the line moving diagonally down to the right!! This is the best results Ive had from my weight loss attempts ever! Thanks for joining me peeps! smilesmilesmile

Smalline Thu 15-Oct-09 12:54:54

Did my favourite workout yesterday, Super Sculpt with abs, had a break today, I can't believe that I am getting up in the cold dark mornings to exercisegrin, this thread is definitely keeping me motivatedsmile.

Have stayed off the wine so far this week, roll on tomorrow night so I can have a glass or 2, I know what will happen though, I'll probably not even enjoy themwink.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

TettyLouBar Thu 15-Oct-09 13:13:09

Had a gin and tonic last night! blush felt a bit mad with myself this morning when I woke up, but never mind. Did High energy 5 aerobics and abs yesterday, having a break today too! smile

I agree, this thread is definately helping me to stay focused. Just got resist the temptation for comfort stodgy foods now that it beginning to get colder out and the evenings are sooo dark.

(I WILL fit into my skinniest jeans by christmas!!) grin

TettyLouBar Fri 16-Oct-09 13:57:31

Well peeps, Just been for my first run in absolutely ages, managed 20 mins (gonna work up slowly) not feeling too shabby. smile

Smalline Fri 16-Oct-09 14:38:13

I was very naughty last nightblush, had a bit of a stressful week and didn't want to face another evening without alcoholwink, had a delicious rum cocktail, it was probably very calorific because it had coconut and cream in it, I thoroughly enjoyed it thoughgrin.

Off ice-skating with the kids after school today, hope I come home in one piecesmile.

VicarInaBooTu Fri 16-Oct-09 15:33:49

so what am i doing wrong!
ive got them all. id do them. ive currently doing the superfit/supersculpt more than the others - about 3 times a week but im seeing naff all in the results dept!

i lost over stone with them at one time but now - nothing!

have to say not really moderated my eating but its not that bad - though i do love a couple of glasses of wine in the evenings. wonder if i need to cut that out totally - but id miss it soooo much!

40andproud Fri 16-Oct-09 16:28:50

Can I join too please? You have all inspired me greatly to go and dig out my Davina DVD lol. It's the Power of 3 one and I've only done it once in all the years I've had it and it nearly killed me grin

I have started calorie counting this week and keeping a food diary and so far it is going well. Thanks for the recommendation of the foodfocus site, I like that and think it will really help keep me on the straight and narrow. My downfall is wine and nibbles/children's leftovers. But I really cannot go on like this - it's making me depressed which makes me eat more lol.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. I find weekends the worst for temptation...

outnumberedbymyboys Fri 16-Oct-09 16:35:41

Have dusted off Davina DVD bought when DS2 was tiny for the first time this week and then found this post. Worked really well until he wanted me to lift him up through the star jumps in power of 5. Will try again whilst both boys eating dinner - and DS2 is firmly strapped in high chair.

TettyLouBar Sat 17-Oct-09 16:34:51

Hi there newbies!

Vicar: Sounds like your doing exactly what I was doing, religous exercising and eating reasonably healthily, but stuck fast to supping on the old red stuff at night. hmm, I kept that up for weeks and weeks before I decided to ditch the booze for a whole month and thats when I started to get huge results. (Lost 4 lb in first week)

Dont get me wrong, I have finished with the complete ban, and now I drink on weekends (in moderation, DH & I shared a bottle of red last night) and during the week if I really fancy a G&T I'll have a tall one and make it last. But with me it was a real habit and I wasnt enjoying drinking because It wasn't special and occasional with me it was nearly every night (6 out of 7 normally) and rather a lot too!! blush

I must admit aswell as losing a lb a week, Ive also saved a fortune on not buying so much booze aswell and saved it up for crimbo! Good luck, keep us updated!!

40 - I was terrible for DD's leftovers! but if I ate what she left at every meal throughout each day I calculated that it was atleast an extra 150 calories a day easy! (DH will hoover it up if around)
The workouts will get easier, keep it up grin

outnumbered - if you can do the workouts with LO's in the room than good for you!! My DD hates watching me workout and gets really mad at me! I have to resort to nap times and creche times smile

Welcome peeps! Keep us updated and keep up the positive thinking and by christmas, we'll all be nearly 10 lbs lighter (based on lasing a lb a week) and damn site fitter!! gringringrin

TettyLouBar Sat 17-Oct-09 16:37:30

P.s. Smalline - you go girl! cocktails are an imperitive part of my life - I was drinking cosmo's with the girls at a hen do not 2 weeks ago and loved every minute!! wink

VicarInaBooTu Sat 17-Oct-09 19:16:20

as i thought....its the demon drink!

right. off too find some willpower...

seriously - how do you cut it out? its my only vice and i absolutely love a glass of wine. (a bit too much maybe!)

but - it looks like its the only thing thats going to work - going T total for a while.

i did the super sculpt last night - really enjoy that one. having a day off today - will do superfit on sunday. wonder if i could just cut down to one glass a day???!!!.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now