Has anyone else had success with Davina?

(96 Posts)
TettyLouBar Sun 20-Sep-09 12:54:29

Hi there,
this might not be for everyone, but over the last few years I have collected Davinas exercise Dvd's (various well-meant crimbo gifts etc) ...well they sat on the shelf gathering dust for the past few years until DD reached the grand old age of one and I realised that my weight hadnt budged since breast feeding finished when she was 7 months.
So I started doing a few of her workouts and mixing them up with the different dvds each week. And I can honestly say Ive never been so fit, full of energy and my shape has really changed!!

Initially I just did the 40 mins of workouts 3-4 times a week without changing my diet at all. (My biggest down fall is a glass of wine in the evenings and chocolate). I didnt really lose any weight, but I toned LOADS and my butt, legs and arms have really shaped up. I started to fit into jeans and tops alot better even though I wasn't losing. (I did this for about 6-7 weeks religiously whilst DD napped)

Then 3 weeks ago i decided to use Septemeber as my post summer binge detox month and so far Ive lost 7lbs in 3 weeks!
I basically do the workouts 3 times a week (mixture of body sculpting, boxercise, aerobics, superfit and core stability. you need a small pair of dumbbells for low weight high repitition toning exercises) and Ive cut out alcohol completely and dont eat carbs after 3pm, I avoid bread in favour of rivita/crispbreads. Thats it!

I love my new look and people are commenting all the time that I have totally changed shape. Why didnt I do this ages ago???

Just thought I'd share my story as Ive tried EVERY DIET in the book over the years but the only thing that has worked for me is everything in moderation foodwise, ( I chose to cut out booze completely for the first month) and regular exercise.

Come join me??? smilesmilesmile

mrshouse Thu 24-Sep-09 21:15:15

Thank you both! Am looking forward to tomorrow's session. Think I'll try another 30 minute one as that's very doable timewise even if DS isn't napping as he finds it very funny as long as I don't kick him!

Not too bad on food today. Had proper meals rather than snack on junk. Dinner was a shared pizza with DD though as its tradition for DD after swimming and as much as I want to lose weight I do have a rule that we eat the same things for main meals (yum!). Not normally a problem as she likes plenty of healthy stuff. Think to begin with I am going to focus on exercise and not eating any crap (eg leftovers, playdate biccies & DD's discarded sweets). I don't want to crash diet, I just want to get my overall eating patterns back to how they were pre-kids and hopefully the weight will follow.

Have an aching bum tonight.

TettyLouBar Fri 25-Sep-09 09:55:14

The aching will subside after you get into a routine, as long as you warm down properly it wont be half as bad smile keep going!!

Smalline Fri 25-Sep-09 09:55:29

Another thing that Davina recommends, is keeping a food diary, I know that one of my habits was to eat the kids leftoversblush, I don't do that now, I didn't realise how many extra calories I was consuming just by doing this, but I think it's a good idea just to write down everything that goes into your mouth, just so you can see how many calories you are consuming over say a day or a week, you might be surprised.

I don't know if anyone has used the food focus website, foodfocus.co.uk it is a free website, you enter your height, starting weight, target weight, and how much you want to lose each week (mine is set to 1 lb per week), it then comes back and tells you, the date you should reach your target weight and your daily calorie intake. You can then enter all the food/drink you consume during the day, it works out the calories, it also has a section where you can enter the workout that you've done, and the calories you have burnt, and adds these calories to your daily intake, it's up to you if you use these or not. It can be a bit time consuming at first entering the food stuff etc, but you do get used to it after a while.

Smalline Fri 25-Sep-09 09:58:43

Forgot to mention that I ordered Davina's superbody workout last nightgrin.

mrshouse Fri 25-Sep-09 14:13:13

Well I did Pump this morning. Am a bit unco-ordinated and lose track a bit at the moment when trying to watch the TV at the same time but hopefully it will improve as they become more familiar. I am finding the 30 minute format very convenient to begin with although I wish it was a little bit more aerobic as I find this easier (not quite the point though!) I have always found any sit up type exercise difficult - I know I must do them wrong as my neck really hurts.

I know what you mean about leftovers Smalline. This afternoon I suddenly realised I was hoovering up the crusts and remains of DS's sandwich. It didn't even taste good!

Am having a break from the workouts over the weekend as DH will be home. Good luck with the Superbody - look forward to hearing how you're getting on...you're way ahead of me

I did pump this morning as well - and off for a swim tonight...

smalline - food focusis BRILLIANT! just joined on your recommendation! so easy to use.

Smalline Fri 25-Sep-09 14:40:16

Your neck shouldn't hurt mrsmouse, maybe you are not doing them right, put your hands behind your head and gently rest your head into your hands, slowly looking up at the ceiling lift your head up, focus on using your tummy muscles to lift your head up rather than your arms, you may only be able to bring your head up an inch or so to begin with and maybe only a few times, but as your tummy muscles get stronger you will find that you can lift your head higher and do more reps, don't jerk your head up it should be a smooth movement.

TettyLouBar Fri 25-Sep-09 18:03:16

Smalline, hope you like superbody, as Ive bigged it up so much! smile let me know what you think!

Mrshouse, I found the sit up parts of every workout hard going but only just recently Ive found that my stomach muscles have improved loads and I think my technique has too as a result. I still cant get the hang on reverse/full crunches though, they're just not natural! smile

I discovered foodfocus a few weeks ago and entered my intake religiously for about 4 days and I must admit it was fab. But I got a bit bored with putting in all the amounts I'd eaten, especially if I'd cooked something from scratch. hmm
Having said that, the calorie calculator for exercise is excellent.

TettyLouBar Fri 25-Sep-09 18:04:46

I did pump this morning too! great minds....

Smalline Sat 26-Sep-09 10:11:49

Pump, Cardio Box and a bit of Core Stability this morning.

I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but I do find the first part of Cardio Box frustrating, probably because you are more or less expected to follow what Mark and Davina are doing, the second part is much better because Mark actually says what to do before you do it, for instance he will say we are going to do 4 kicks on the right leg followed by 4 punches, I find this a lot easier to follow.

Just an observation not a complaintgrin.

Smalline Sat 26-Sep-09 10:23:22

Glad you are liking Foodfocus persephonesnape, but like TLB I must admit I haven't used the food logging for some time, cos it can get boring, however, that said, I'm going to use it this week, just to keep a check on my calorie intake.

I'll let you know how I get on with superbody TLB, I think I ordered it after hearing that Davina is going to bring another one out before christmas, I'm long due a new exercise dvdgrin.

TettyLouBar Sat 26-Sep-09 10:43:10

Yeah I do find with all of the dvd's that there are points where nobody is telling you what to do next and it is very frustrating, but I dont notice it as much anymore as I think Ive done the workouts so much.

I hate hate hate the cattle bell or cow bell thing angry that they do with the weights on the superbody sculpt workout, (the bit where you swing the weight between your legs whilst they are splayed sumo style as you stand) so I do some tricep presses with the weights above my head instead. I find that there are certain things you'll adjust as you get used to the routines. grin

super fit this morning = super sweaty! off for a swim!

Smalline Mon 28-Sep-09 13:18:35

I am so excited! my new Davina 'Super Body' workout dvd has just arrived, I'm so looking forward to my working out tomorrow morninggrin

TettyLouBar Mon 28-Sep-09 13:21:18

My three 30 minutes: Pump this morning! Forgotten all about that workout! quite enjoyed it. Weigh-in tomorrow morning for me. (Tuesday mornings gives me a chance to reign it back from any sinning I did at the weekend!!)
I'm aiming for a lb a week, fingers, toes and eyes all crossed!! grin
(I'm figuring the slower I lose it the more likely I am to keep it all off!!)

How we all getting on?? smile

Smalline Mon 28-Sep-09 13:27:54

I'm aiming for a pound a week too TLB, with any luck that will be 12 lbs for Christmasgrin, didn't do very good at all last week, put on 1lbblush, but I know what I did and won't be doing that this weeksmile.

mrshouse Mon 28-Sep-09 20:51:36

Hi DH left again for the week so I worked out this morning (no point in trying to fit it into weekends when he's only here Friday night to Monday morning atm). Did cardio box today - that's my favourite of the 30 mins but agree about the first part having not enough instruction..actually I've been suprised generally how little explanation about actually getting the excercises right there is but I guess that comes with familiarity!

I want to try one of the longer DVD's but I have a really busy week so not sure I can fit it in around everything else.

Been quite rubbish on the food side so really have to sort that. Seem to be so many variables right now, trying to find meals during the week which suit just tiny DS, sparrow-like DD and me and then at the weekend DH really likes to live it up. I have dropped the junk but need to make our meals work better for me.

Glad you're all doing so well..its very motivating!

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Sep-09 09:15:07

Well ladies, Ive lost ABOUT a lb, I have digital scales and they couldn't make up their mind what I had lost and kept fluctuating before they ended up on the result so I think its a bit iffy If I've actually lost a whole lb but a loss is a loss at the end of the day I suppose?!?!? hmm

I'm a little unmotivated by the weigh in this morning sad so I'm trying to be positive and hoping that I haven't hit a wall. (I'd convinced myself that I'd lost slightly more as I feel so good physically at the moment)

So I'm going to do something to lift my spirits and dye my hair this evening (nothing drastic) wink

Smalline Tue 29-Sep-09 09:43:52

Davina's superfit workout this morning, it was hard going but I managed it, it's definitely one of those dvds that will grow on me. I'm going to have a rest from exercise tomorrow, a nice lay insmile.

Smalline Tue 29-Sep-09 09:54:07

Sorry you are feeling a little unmotivated TLBsad, sometimes I think the scales are a complete waste of time, we should go by how we feeling about ourselves, and how our clothes are fitting. I have some digital scales also, but they measure fat, water & muscle content which I think gives you a better picture, at the moment, I am concentrating on bringing down the fat and increasing the muscle contentsmile.

Greatfun Tue 29-Sep-09 21:03:51

Can I join? smile

I was about to post a thread about how to lose weight when I came across this. I need to lose 2-2.5 stone. I am sitting here with fat spilling over the waistband of my jeans. i really need to sort this out. I am desperate to be slim and wear nice clothes. Bugger the health benefits its the clothes that I want! I am going to start 3x davina each week starting from tomorrow and cut the junk, eat 3 meals and no carbs after 3 like someone else said.

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Sep-09 21:20:53

Hi Greatfun!
welcome to our little soon-to-be svelt group of supertoned fit mums! grin
Hope you get on ok with the workouts, let us know how you do! smile

Smalline, what are those all singing all dancing body fat thingys like? My scales is ancient and I'm looking to buy a new one that measures all those fangled thingys. I think it would be more motivating to see my bodyfat % and muscle mass etc than seeing Ive dropped and eighth of a lb in a month!!! angry

poshdjc Wed 30-Sep-09 09:29:11

can I join in? I used to do Davina's DVDs when DS was small. I have them all (the shame of it!) Now he is 15 months things are a litle bit different and difficult to fit in. (Dont like doing it when DH is around in the evining)

I'm going to try and do the Super work out tomorrow morning.

wish me luck

TettyLouBar Wed 30-Sep-09 12:59:44

Hi poshdjc!
I think its great that your starting to workout again. It is hard to fit it all in sometimes, and I do find that sometimes a sacrifice other things I'd rather be doing when DD is asleep/at creche but the results have spurred me on!
Good luck for tomo! smile

Smalline Wed 30-Sep-09 13:14:52

Hi poshdjc welcome! good luck with your super workout tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

TLB I bought mine about 2 years ago, I think I paid about £15 either in Aldis or Lidls. I love it because I can see what I have put on/lost be it fat, muscle or water. If I've put on weight I'm happy if my muscle mass has increased cos I know that muscle weighs more than fat, obviously I'm not happy if my fat content has gone up, and of course there are times of the month when I have water retention.

The one I have is called 'Balance' part number KH5519 It is so easy to use, it comes with a detachable remote that you hold when you weigh yourself, all the information is displayed on the remote, also displayed is a picture indicating if you are 'under weight', 'Healthy', 'Over weight' or 'Obese, and your bodys calorific requirement, (the more you weigh the less the calorific requirement is).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now