Has anyone else had success with Davina?

(96 Posts)
TettyLouBar Sun 20-Sep-09 12:54:29

Hi there,
this might not be for everyone, but over the last few years I have collected Davinas exercise Dvd's (various well-meant crimbo gifts etc) ...well they sat on the shelf gathering dust for the past few years until DD reached the grand old age of one and I realised that my weight hadnt budged since breast feeding finished when she was 7 months.
So I started doing a few of her workouts and mixing them up with the different dvds each week. And I can honestly say Ive never been so fit, full of energy and my shape has really changed!!

Initially I just did the 40 mins of workouts 3-4 times a week without changing my diet at all. (My biggest down fall is a glass of wine in the evenings and chocolate). I didnt really lose any weight, but I toned LOADS and my butt, legs and arms have really shaped up. I started to fit into jeans and tops alot better even though I wasn't losing. (I did this for about 6-7 weeks religiously whilst DD napped)

Then 3 weeks ago i decided to use Septemeber as my post summer binge detox month and so far Ive lost 7lbs in 3 weeks!
I basically do the workouts 3 times a week (mixture of body sculpting, boxercise, aerobics, superfit and core stability. you need a small pair of dumbbells for low weight high repitition toning exercises) and Ive cut out alcohol completely and dont eat carbs after 3pm, I avoid bread in favour of rivita/crispbreads. Thats it!

I love my new look and people are commenting all the time that I have totally changed shape. Why didnt I do this ages ago???

Just thought I'd share my story as Ive tried EVERY DIET in the book over the years but the only thing that has worked for me is everything in moderation foodwise, ( I chose to cut out booze completely for the first month) and regular exercise.

Come join me??? smilesmilesmile

ineedalifelaundry Sun 20-Sep-09 13:07:03

Sounds interesting... I have a davina DVD gathring dust too, and the dumbells to go with it!

But how do you manage the evening meal without carbs? No rice or pasta?? And when you say you've replaced bread with ryvita etc, do you mean all day or just after 3pm?

ohforaman Sun 20-Sep-09 13:36:40

Hi TLB, same here!

My body shape has totally changed. I've also received lots of comments about how much weight I look like I've lost when in fact I haven't.

Saying that though, there is a stubborn half a stone that I'd like to shift and know that cutting out the booze, laying off the wrong type of carbs will definitely make a difference - I'm in!

TettyLouBar Mon 21-Sep-09 10:40:10

Ineedalifelaundry:

I usually use the steamer alot for evening meals and steam batons of carrots/parsnips/broccoli/peas/sweetcorn/broadbeans/slicedleeks/mange tout/asparagus anything I can get my hands on really, and as much as I want. I mix it up each evening and add a little mustard/spread/white pepper/chilli anything to give it taste. I usually have either chicken grilled, baked fish, we bbq kebabs alot in summer months. DH loves his carbs so if I cook them for him I will mix a tiny amount of brown rice/ potatoes/ pasta in with my veg to make it feel like I'm not missing out. wink

I dont have toast in morning - I usually have weetabix with mixed dried fruit and skimmed milk/ porridge/ cereals mixed with lowfat yoghurt/ or muesli with fromage frais.

For lunch instead of bread, I have 4 rivita with whatever filling I was gonna put in sandwiches for DH on the top.
or steamed veg mixed with some shop bought ravioli, or an omlette. I try not to eat any high carb foods after 3pm but I do sometimes have a little with dinner. (e.g. one or two boiled new potatos sliced up and mixed with my veg if Ive made them for DH and DD anyway!)

The key i think is the exercise to balance what carbs i do eat. Ive always had a slow metabolism and struggled to burn off high carb meals in the evenings. I hate exercising in the evenings too as it winds me up so much I cant sleep!!

I miss my glass of wine sometimes so I have a wine glass full of slimline tonic (minus the gin!!hmm) with ice lemon and lime in the evenings.

ohforaman - I miss the booze, but the longer Ive managed without it the easier I found it and I really think it was just a habit of mine. It really has helped to drop the lbs. My weekly weigh-in is tomorrow morning first thing so fingers crossed. grin

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Sep-09 10:45:11

I feel like a broken record recommending Davina all the time on here, which I do, a lot, all the time, at least once a week.

Her DVDs are very good, even my personal trainer dh approves. Interval training based, very, very good. Fat loss and toning.

She's got the formula right. Exercise and eat healthily.

TettyLouBar Mon 21-Sep-09 13:06:10

ShowOfHands - couldnt agree more. Superbody has to be my favourite. but theyre all good!! I was a little nervous about using the weights and doing so many arms exercises because I didnt want to end up with massively toned arms, but I found that the pump routines have really changed the shape of my upper body and helped me regain some of my tone after breast feeding too.
(They're not really heavy weights either <scuttles off to check the label on them> they're 1.35kg cheapeys from Aldis I think?!?

I cant definately do more cardio stuff now too and feel so much better in myself just for doing the workouts every other day. It really sets me up for the day and makes me feel good about myself.

(sorry if I'm bleeting on about this but I just want other people who are struggling with weight loss and are in the same boat I was to try this!)gringringrin

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Sep-09 14:13:51

You won't build muscle with weights that small, you'll only tone. grin In fact I work with 6k weights now and I'm not building up too much, just improving mass very slightly.

I found that after doing Davina (and Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy if you fancy a change, very different though) for about 6 months I needed a bit more of a cardio workout and took up running. I can now do a 10k at a pretty good pace and it's all thanks to Davina really.

I think that what Davina rightly acknowledges is the lifestyle change needed to achieve and maintain weightloss. And it's fun and rewarding and God, do you feel better for it.

She's got a new one coming out I think. Probably in time for Christmas.

I like the Superbody one too but like different things about all of them.

TettyLouBar Mon 21-Sep-09 17:58:16

Wow showofhands! 6kg! thats brilliant! I've never really done weights before but my career started in the military so I did lots of cardio and physical training <shifts uncomfortably> (when forced to) hmm but I was never good at going to the gym in my own time. blush
It wasnt until I finished my service and left that I started to take an interest in personal health and fitness after having my DD. I think it was the knowledge that I had access to all of the gyms and running and instructors I wanted that put me off really. Now that I have to pay for all that stuff in civilian life I would love to access it!?! how daft! angry

I'm thinking of increasing my weights soon, but not sure how much to go up by, any ideas?

p.s. Davinas new DVD: v.v.v.excited!

ShowOfHands Tue 22-Sep-09 09:38:07

The best thing to do is get dumbell bars with plates so that you can change the weight (not expensive either). That way there's scope to change and I also find that different muscles need different weights. Minimum 3k really for an effective workout.

The military. What branch? I was in the TA for several years so as a regular feel free to scream "hobby army" at me and point and laugh. I actually only did it because I was at university and the officer training corps promised travel and sport and somebody (insert a pointed look at my dh here) said I couldn't do it. I'm a ridiculously liberal, pacifistic leftie in rl so I think it shocked everybody that I spent weekends cammed up and waving an sa80 with menace.

My dh ran a gym and was a personal trainer many moons ago and having access to it meant that I wasn't interested either. Now I have a dd too and dh is a police officer and I'd love to use a gym (money and childcare making it impossible obviously). I find I enjoy it more now, possibly something to do with the sense of achievement from having to work so damn hard to get back in shape after having dd. I was not a pretty sight pregnant. Picture an overweight whale flopping about on the beach. That was pretty much me. grin

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Sep-09 13:31:58

Thanks for the recommendation for the weights. Never though of getting adjustable ones! I think I'll move up to the next weight pretty soon as I'm finding the pump sessions pretty easy and its starting to get a bit boring.

I was in the RAF for nearly 7 years. (Princess Marys RAF Nursing Service) I trained in the Military for my nursing degree down in Pompey so being on a training establishment for 3 years after basic meant enforced pt sessions and regular fitness testing. (I hated it that part), but didnt do too badly at it.
I had every intention of serving atleast my 9 years minimum, but DD came along, and due to DH also being in, we felt that one of us would be better leaving and bringing up DD. (Not that I have anything against people who both stay in and bring kids up) it just wasn't for us. smile

I miss certain aspects of the lifestyle, but wouldnt swap DD for the world. I can still dip in and out of it with DH still serving. We live in quarters off camp and I do have access to their camp gym, but I must admit I enjoy the workouts more than actually using weights and machines in the gym.

Personally, I always hated the thought of camming up and rolling around in the grass in CS95's, but after we had done a few days of it I always ended up lovin it! grin

I do enjoy the sense of achievement most too. I definately won't go back to my old lifestyle, and if I have another LO, I'll be nipping straight out to the shops for Davinas pre/post pregnancy dvd too! wink

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Tue 22-Sep-09 13:44:31

I'd like to know at what time of the day you fit this in.

I'm guessing you get up extra early, which is where I fall down - I plan to do it later but other things always seem to crop up.

Plus I go to bed late (get inordinate pleasure from vegging slug-like on the sofa when the DCs gave gone to bed.)

I do agree Davina's DVDs are excellent, though, if the latest one is typical.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Sep-09 14:02:20

OurLady,

I used to do a 40 min workout when DD was having her morning nap, but recently shes dropped a nap and has one after lunch so I've been doing a workout then. mon, wed and fri normally.

She has started creche on mon and wed mornings 9-12 so I aim to do workouts then instead from now on. I must admit, the temptation to do well overdue housework, or veg out on the sofa and read or watch tv (or go back to bed!!!) is very strong, but the results I have had from working out regularly have spurred me on. Now its just a habit more than anything.

I'm hoping to go back to nursing soon part time but until then I'll fit it in as much as possible around when DD's either asleep or in creche! grin

yes, i davina religiously - feel rotten if I don't do something - I average about six times a week - 2x pump and boxercise from 30m workout and at the weekends indulge in superfit and sculpt. I eat pretty healthily, but do have a glass or two of wine everyday , which is preventing me from a good weight loss - I can really feel the difference though!

I work full time, single mum to three. I davina at 6.15 in the morning. set's me up for the day. will be GORGEOUS by xmas! ;)

Smalline Tue 22-Sep-09 14:35:02

Another Davina fan here, well not Davina herself but her workoutssmile. Like persephonesnape I eat pretty healthily, but have a glass or two of wine 4-5 times a week, which is also preventing me from losing weight as quickly as I would like.

I have 3 of her dvds, not the latest 1 though, but I alternate these with Billy Blank's Tae-Bo dvds, and very occasionally Nell McAndrews. I'm trying to exercise 5 times a week now, usually at 6.30 in the morning, I feel great after working outgrin.

me too (about the feeling great, although the sweat literally drips off of my behind in the longer work outs..) I cannot ABIDE Davina - all those little comments and face pulling and argh! <slap!>

but it does the job.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Sep-09 18:00:44

What does Nell's workout have in it then ladies? any good?

Smalline Tue 22-Sep-09 21:37:31

I have 2 of Nell's workouts, 'Ultimate Challenge' (which I like the sound of)! this routine has 2 sections of cardio which include squats and 20 minutes targeting shoulders and arms, abs, press-ups, sit-ups and bums, there are 'bail out' options at various intervals, so you can stop if you find the going too tough. I also have her 'Cardio, Core & Stretch' I've only done it once so far, both of her workouts are okay, the cardio sections are pretty repetive, I just think that Davina has the right format with her workouts.

TettyLouBar Wed 23-Sep-09 12:53:26

Thanks Smalline, I think I'll stick with her then. smile

Ohforaman, how you getting on? any changes yet? have you managed to stay booze free? grin

mrshouse Wed 23-Sep-09 21:20:08

Ooh I have had Davina DVD's gathering dust and had just tonight resolved that tomorrow I WILL start. I have 2 in a box set - not sure where to start. Any suggestions. I am a former fit gym bunny but since having DD and DS have slipped into complete lethargy. Have 1.5 stone to lose and would like to do it NOW.

Would any of you lovely folk like to be my mentor ?

Smalline Thu 24-Sep-09 09:40:59

Oh me please mrshouse. what are the 2 dvds that you have? what are your eating habits like, any trigger foods, booze, chocolate, biscuits? mine is wine, I'm alright if I don't touch it, but if I do, I can't stop until the bottle is finished, and if DH has only one glass guess who has the rest...blush

mrshouse Thu 24-Sep-09 10:51:41

Thank you Smallline! I am feeling really motivated today.

Ok so I have Power of 3 and the 30 minute work outs. I have just done cardiobox as I love bouncing around but am really poor at floor excercises. I never know if I'm doing them right and don't have much core strength at all following pregnancies.

Food is my downfall. I always struggled with my weight. I am naturally very petite and managed to keep weight well in hand prekids but eating huge amounts while pregnant and now being surrounded by biscuits and fairy cakes is my downfall. Eg I don't keep biscuits in the house but if I buy a packet for a playdate I invariably finish them or eat them before the girls even get to them. When DD is given sweets she never eats them but I do. DH is working away during the week so I am often just preparing meals for me, DD and a one year old at the moment and also DH tends to want lots of indulgence at the weekend and then I scoff the leftovers on Monday...aaarrgh!

My other problem is I can easily motivate myself for a few weeks for an ocassion and lose ten pounds or so but as soon as the occasion passes I slip back so I need to change my lifestyle without a specific point in mind. Ie if I focus on Christmas parties then I will completely lapse in January.

I know excercise is the key as if I excercise in the morning I want to eat healthily for the rest of the day.

I really want to get my old myself back, am sick of wearing clothes I don't even like because I think they are 'flattering' (camoflage).

Wow that was a bit of an essay! Any ideas for a Davina excercise regime ?

TettyLouBar Thu 24-Sep-09 13:37:09

Mrshouse,
I started with the power of three and 30 minute workouts too! I think inititally I use to either do one workout session from each dvd a week so I was doing 2 sessions a week, in addition to that I also went running once a week too.

As I got a bit more into the routines and new what each one contained I sometimes did two in a row (i.e. legs&bums, followed by abdominals from the power of 3 dvd)

I then got a bit more into the workouts at when I initially started my "new me" regime I bought her other two dvd's I could "superbody workout" and "high energy five" and started to workout every morning at DD's naptime 5 times a week. (I wanted to get my fitness up to a certain level, and like you found that the days that I exercised in the mornings, I ate well all day too)
I use to mix dvd's each day and gradually increased my fitness until I found that eventually I could concentrate more on actually doing each exercise correctly, and more vigorously, rather that just trying to get through the workout in one piece!! blush

Now I workout atleast mon, wed and fri (but normally do more) 3x weekly is my bench mark as any less than that and I start to feel sluggish, lazy and unmotivated.
"Superbody workout" is my favourite dvd as both of the routines on that disc make me feel like I've really worked every part of my body afterwards and I feel great. (Theyre called Superfit and Supersculpt. (There's also 4 extra tag-on 10minute extras that you can pick from to add onto the workouts which concentrate on key areas (abs, sixpack, legs and pump) I didnt use the extras to begin with until I felt that I was able to work through the initial routine at a consistent pace and really give it welly! smile

Hope this helps! wink let us know how you get on!

Smalline Thu 24-Sep-09 14:08:11

Thanks TettyLouBar, I couldn't have put that better myselfsmile.

TettyLouBar Thu 24-Sep-09 19:36:08

Sorry Smalline, didnt mean to speak for you! smile

Smalline Thu 24-Sep-09 20:28:47

You didn't TettyLouBar! you did I better job than I could have donesmile.

mrshouse Thu 24-Sep-09 21:15:15

Thank you both! Am looking forward to tomorrow's session. Think I'll try another 30 minute one as that's very doable timewise even if DS isn't napping as he finds it very funny as long as I don't kick him!

Not too bad on food today. Had proper meals rather than snack on junk. Dinner was a shared pizza with DD though as its tradition for DD after swimming and as much as I want to lose weight I do have a rule that we eat the same things for main meals (yum!). Not normally a problem as she likes plenty of healthy stuff. Think to begin with I am going to focus on exercise and not eating any crap (eg leftovers, playdate biccies & DD's discarded sweets). I don't want to crash diet, I just want to get my overall eating patterns back to how they were pre-kids and hopefully the weight will follow.

Have an aching bum tonight.

TettyLouBar Fri 25-Sep-09 09:55:14

The aching will subside after you get into a routine, as long as you warm down properly it wont be half as bad smile keep going!!

Smalline Fri 25-Sep-09 09:55:29

Another thing that Davina recommends, is keeping a food diary, I know that one of my habits was to eat the kids leftoversblush, I don't do that now, I didn't realise how many extra calories I was consuming just by doing this, but I think it's a good idea just to write down everything that goes into your mouth, just so you can see how many calories you are consuming over say a day or a week, you might be surprised.

I don't know if anyone has used the food focus website, foodfocus.co.uk it is a free website, you enter your height, starting weight, target weight, and how much you want to lose each week (mine is set to 1 lb per week), it then comes back and tells you, the date you should reach your target weight and your daily calorie intake. You can then enter all the food/drink you consume during the day, it works out the calories, it also has a section where you can enter the workout that you've done, and the calories you have burnt, and adds these calories to your daily intake, it's up to you if you use these or not. It can be a bit time consuming at first entering the food stuff etc, but you do get used to it after a while.

Smalline Fri 25-Sep-09 09:58:43

Forgot to mention that I ordered Davina's superbody workout last nightgrin.

mrshouse Fri 25-Sep-09 14:13:13

Well I did Pump this morning. Am a bit unco-ordinated and lose track a bit at the moment when trying to watch the TV at the same time but hopefully it will improve as they become more familiar. I am finding the 30 minute format very convenient to begin with although I wish it was a little bit more aerobic as I find this easier (not quite the point though!) I have always found any sit up type exercise difficult - I know I must do them wrong as my neck really hurts.

I know what you mean about leftovers Smalline. This afternoon I suddenly realised I was hoovering up the crusts and remains of DS's sandwich. It didn't even taste good!

Am having a break from the workouts over the weekend as DH will be home. Good luck with the Superbody - look forward to hearing how you're getting on...you're way ahead of me

I did pump this morning as well - and off for a swim tonight...

smalline - food focusis BRILLIANT! just joined on your recommendation! so easy to use.

Smalline Fri 25-Sep-09 14:40:16

Your neck shouldn't hurt mrsmouse, maybe you are not doing them right, put your hands behind your head and gently rest your head into your hands, slowly looking up at the ceiling lift your head up, focus on using your tummy muscles to lift your head up rather than your arms, you may only be able to bring your head up an inch or so to begin with and maybe only a few times, but as your tummy muscles get stronger you will find that you can lift your head higher and do more reps, don't jerk your head up it should be a smooth movement.

TettyLouBar Fri 25-Sep-09 18:03:16

Smalline, hope you like superbody, as Ive bigged it up so much! smile let me know what you think!

Mrshouse, I found the sit up parts of every workout hard going but only just recently Ive found that my stomach muscles have improved loads and I think my technique has too as a result. I still cant get the hang on reverse/full crunches though, they're just not natural! smile

I discovered foodfocus a few weeks ago and entered my intake religiously for about 4 days and I must admit it was fab. But I got a bit bored with putting in all the amounts I'd eaten, especially if I'd cooked something from scratch. hmm
Having said that, the calorie calculator for exercise is excellent.

TettyLouBar Fri 25-Sep-09 18:04:46

I did pump this morning too! great minds....

Smalline Sat 26-Sep-09 10:11:49

Pump, Cardio Box and a bit of Core Stability this morning.

I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but I do find the first part of Cardio Box frustrating, probably because you are more or less expected to follow what Mark and Davina are doing, the second part is much better because Mark actually says what to do before you do it, for instance he will say we are going to do 4 kicks on the right leg followed by 4 punches, I find this a lot easier to follow.

Just an observation not a complaintgrin.

Smalline Sat 26-Sep-09 10:23:22

Glad you are liking Foodfocus persephonesnape, but like TLB I must admit I haven't used the food logging for some time, cos it can get boring, however, that said, I'm going to use it this week, just to keep a check on my calorie intake.

I'll let you know how I get on with superbody TLB, I think I ordered it after hearing that Davina is going to bring another one out before christmas, I'm long due a new exercise dvdgrin.

TettyLouBar Sat 26-Sep-09 10:43:10

Yeah I do find with all of the dvd's that there are points where nobody is telling you what to do next and it is very frustrating, but I dont notice it as much anymore as I think Ive done the workouts so much.

I hate hate hate the cattle bell or cow bell thing angry that they do with the weights on the superbody sculpt workout, (the bit where you swing the weight between your legs whilst they are splayed sumo style as you stand) so I do some tricep presses with the weights above my head instead. I find that there are certain things you'll adjust as you get used to the routines. grin

super fit this morning = super sweaty! off for a swim!

Smalline Mon 28-Sep-09 13:18:35

I am so excited! my new Davina 'Super Body' workout dvd has just arrived, I'm so looking forward to my working out tomorrow morninggrin

TettyLouBar Mon 28-Sep-09 13:21:18

My three 30 minutes: Pump this morning! Forgotten all about that workout! quite enjoyed it. Weigh-in tomorrow morning for me. (Tuesday mornings gives me a chance to reign it back from any sinning I did at the weekend!!)
I'm aiming for a lb a week, fingers, toes and eyes all crossed!! grin
(I'm figuring the slower I lose it the more likely I am to keep it all off!!)

How we all getting on?? smile

Smalline Mon 28-Sep-09 13:27:54

I'm aiming for a pound a week too TLB, with any luck that will be 12 lbs for Christmasgrin, didn't do very good at all last week, put on 1lbblush, but I know what I did and won't be doing that this weeksmile.

mrshouse Mon 28-Sep-09 20:51:36

Hi DH left again for the week so I worked out this morning (no point in trying to fit it into weekends when he's only here Friday night to Monday morning atm). Did cardio box today - that's my favourite of the 30 mins but agree about the first part having not enough instruction..actually I've been suprised generally how little explanation about actually getting the excercises right there is but I guess that comes with familiarity!

I want to try one of the longer DVD's but I have a really busy week so not sure I can fit it in around everything else.

Been quite rubbish on the food side so really have to sort that. Seem to be so many variables right now, trying to find meals during the week which suit just tiny DS, sparrow-like DD and me and then at the weekend DH really likes to live it up. I have dropped the junk but need to make our meals work better for me.

Glad you're all doing so well..its very motivating!

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Sep-09 09:15:07

Well ladies, Ive lost ABOUT a lb, I have digital scales and they couldn't make up their mind what I had lost and kept fluctuating before they ended up on the result so I think its a bit iffy If I've actually lost a whole lb but a loss is a loss at the end of the day I suppose?!?!? hmm

I'm a little unmotivated by the weigh in this morning sad so I'm trying to be positive and hoping that I haven't hit a wall. (I'd convinced myself that I'd lost slightly more as I feel so good physically at the moment)

So I'm going to do something to lift my spirits and dye my hair this evening (nothing drastic) wink

Smalline Tue 29-Sep-09 09:43:52

Davina's superfit workout this morning, it was hard going but I managed it, it's definitely one of those dvds that will grow on me. I'm going to have a rest from exercise tomorrow, a nice lay insmile.

Smalline Tue 29-Sep-09 09:54:07

Sorry you are feeling a little unmotivated TLBsad, sometimes I think the scales are a complete waste of time, we should go by how we feeling about ourselves, and how our clothes are fitting. I have some digital scales also, but they measure fat, water & muscle content which I think gives you a better picture, at the moment, I am concentrating on bringing down the fat and increasing the muscle contentsmile.

Greatfun Tue 29-Sep-09 21:03:51

Can I join? smile

I was about to post a thread about how to lose weight when I came across this. I need to lose 2-2.5 stone. I am sitting here with fat spilling over the waistband of my jeans. i really need to sort this out. I am desperate to be slim and wear nice clothes. Bugger the health benefits its the clothes that I want! I am going to start 3x davina each week starting from tomorrow and cut the junk, eat 3 meals and no carbs after 3 like someone else said.

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Sep-09 21:20:53

Hi Greatfun!
welcome to our little soon-to-be svelt group of supertoned fit mums! grin
Hope you get on ok with the workouts, let us know how you do! smile

Smalline, what are those all singing all dancing body fat thingys like? My scales is ancient and I'm looking to buy a new one that measures all those fangled thingys. I think it would be more motivating to see my bodyfat % and muscle mass etc than seeing Ive dropped and eighth of a lb in a month!!! angry

poshdjc Wed 30-Sep-09 09:29:11

can I join in? I used to do Davina's DVDs when DS was small. I have them all (the shame of it!) Now he is 15 months things are a litle bit different and difficult to fit in. (Dont like doing it when DH is around in the evining)

I'm going to try and do the Super work out tomorrow morning.

wish me luck

TettyLouBar Wed 30-Sep-09 12:59:44

Hi poshdjc!
I think its great that your starting to workout again. It is hard to fit it all in sometimes, and I do find that sometimes a sacrifice other things I'd rather be doing when DD is asleep/at creche but the results have spurred me on!
Good luck for tomo! smile

Smalline Wed 30-Sep-09 13:14:52

Hi poshdjc welcome! good luck with your super workout tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

TLB I bought mine about 2 years ago, I think I paid about £15 either in Aldis or Lidls. I love it because I can see what I have put on/lost be it fat, muscle or water. If I've put on weight I'm happy if my muscle mass has increased cos I know that muscle weighs more than fat, obviously I'm not happy if my fat content has gone up, and of course there are times of the month when I have water retention.

The one I have is called 'Balance' part number KH5519 It is so easy to use, it comes with a detachable remote that you hold when you weigh yourself, all the information is displayed on the remote, also displayed is a picture indicating if you are 'under weight', 'Healthy', 'Over weight' or 'Obese, and your bodys calorific requirement, (the more you weigh the less the calorific requirement is).

I did superfit yesterday - really enjoying that - I start to lag a bit about 25 minutes in, but gritted my teeth - find I have to drink water whilst 'marching it out' though. nothing today (so far) woke up late and a bit hungover (...)

poshdjc Thu 01-Oct-09 08:43:31

Yeh - first step made - chickened out on the super workout but did two sections from High energy five last night whildt Man U were playing - boxercise and abdominals. plus cool down. Aching this morning when I took DS to the childminders! Still, feel better for it - apart from DH telling me to keep the nosie down otherwise I'd wake DS! oops... I'm sure he's just jealous and trying to sabotage my efforts. Plan to have a day off today and another workout tomorrow night.

Til then!!!

TettyLouBar Thu 01-Oct-09 13:03:39

Well done girlies, were'll all giving it a good 'go' this week from the sounds of it! I'm having a rest day today but back on it tomo as Ive got hen weekend on Sat and some of the girls havent seen me since Ive lost 10lbs so I'm looking forward to showing off my results!
(I love it when someone notices your shape has changed, it gives me such a boost!) grin
I had my first glass of wine in a month last night at a Bodyshop party and although it was nice, I didnt enjoy it as much as I was expecting!! I think I've really turned a corner with my booze intake - I had such a strong 'habit' of drinking a 2-3 times during the week in the evenings and then again most weekends. I think I was associating it with 'relaxing' and having a 'treat' when it was more of a ritual. hmm

I think it will be much more fun on sat when we're all out together and drinking to the hen's last few days of freedom etc!!

poshdjc Fri 02-Oct-09 09:19:21

Done high energy five this morning. Waiting for work to come in - I'm a freelance writer. so took my chances! Its still not here so did boxercise and PUMP. Only may have to order a new copy because my DS has been munching on the DVD since I last used it and it kept jamming.

Smalline Sat 03-Oct-09 10:22:50

Davina's Super Sculpt on Wednesday, I really like that workout. Billy Blank's Ultimate Bootcamp this morning, a killer 50 minute workout.

2.5lbs off this week, a total of half a stone since 15th Augustgrin.

Smalline Tue 06-Oct-09 10:10:16

Davina's Power of 3 workout this morning, I managed to do the whole workout without being interrupted by the kids, that's a firstsmile.

TettyLouBar Tue 06-Oct-09 19:48:11

Having a rubbish week, DD full of cold and chesty cough, wont sleep during day, had to go shopping when she was a nursery monday and evenings Ive been so tired from getting up to DD at night Ive fallen right off the wagon. Hopefully she'll start to improve in next few days and I can get back to it. sad

YouLukaAmazing Tue 06-Oct-09 19:54:28

Message withdrawn

Smalline Wed 07-Oct-09 09:48:58

Sorry to hear about your DD TLB, hope she feels better soonsmile, cheer up you'll be back to your old routine in no timesmile.

Welcome YouLookaAmazing, love the name, hope you have blown the dust of the dvd ready for your workout today, let us know how you get on.

Mrsmouse, haven't heard from you in over a week now, how are you getting?

Did Davina's Super Sculpt with Super Abs this morning, my favourite one of her workouts, a very efficient workout, works all parts of the body in a short space of time, left me breathless and drippinggrin.

TettyLouBar Wed 07-Oct-09 20:23:09

Smalline: Know what you mean about the supersculpt, that is my fave and always leaves me feeling like Ive really worked out! I did superfit and abs this morning, first workout since last week. (DD at creche and feeling better thanks grin)

Welcome YouLukaAmazing! Dust off those Dvd's and get sweaty! You'll be svelt and gorgeous before you can say "carefully place your weights down"!! wink

Despite drinking copious amounts of alcohol and eating sinfully this weekend, Ive still managed to lose a lb so very pleased. smile

poshdjc Sat 10-Oct-09 09:46:40

I fell off the wagon last week a bit too. Had to visit family as father in law not well. Didnt fancy doing the DVD at the parents house! Loads of work in this week too so was exhausted. Just off to do super workout.

c'mon join me!!!!

Smalline Sat 10-Oct-09 10:23:37

Superfit yesterday, one of my least favourites I have to say, she does some Tae-Bo/Kick Boxing type moves in this workout, but because of the lack of instructions I find it hard to keep the workout flowing.

If anyone feels that they are ready to move on from Davina, I would definitely recommend Billy Blank's Tae-Bo workouts. Some of his dvds have an instructional section, where he goes through all the moves showing you how to execute them correctly, this is then followed by a basic workout, and then an advanced workout. I find his workouts easy to follow because he goes through the moves slowly with you first, then he speeds it up. When I first did his advanced section, I kept to the slow pace all the way through, until I felt confident/fit enough to keep up with the fast pace, Oh and he is a great motivator toosmile. I've noticed a vast improvement in my shape, saddle bags have gone, my 6 pack is more definedgrin, and I have bags more energy.

Have just done 45 mins of Tae-Bo, I felt every minute of itsmile.

No weight loss to report this week (no gain either), my own silly fault for drinking wine every night this weekwink.

TettyLouBar Mon 12-Oct-09 11:20:37

Will definately look out for some workouts by him Smalline, thanks.
Its soooo easy to have a glass of wine every night, Ive had to try really hard some nights to resist!! hmm
Keep it up though, no loss this week isnt the worst thing that can happen. I weigh in on a tues morning to it gives me monday to be angelic and eat really well and exercise well on mondays and usually I feel a little less worried about stepping onto the scales!! grin

Smalline Tue 13-Oct-09 10:00:32

David Kirsch's 'Ultimate Fitness Boot Camp' this morning, I managed to do some of the crab walks this time, couldn't do any last timesmile.

I going to try and not drink alcohol until Friday now, didn't have any last night, not sure I feel any better for it today, but I must try and have at least 2 alcohol free days a week.

Hope you get a good result today TLBsmile

TettyLouBar Tue 13-Oct-09 10:54:31

Lost another lb! so really pleased smile gonna keep going and have worked out if I lose a lb a week until crimbo I'll be weighing what I did when I got married!! heres hoping. hmm

Did high energy five legs and pump yesterday. Break today and back on it tomo. Ive even made a chart where Ive marked off my weight loss and I have it on my desktop on my computer, its spurring me on to keep the line moving diagonally down to the right!! This is the best results Ive had from my weight loss attempts ever! Thanks for joining me peeps! smilesmilesmile

Smalline Thu 15-Oct-09 12:54:54

Did my favourite workout yesterday, Super Sculpt with abs, had a break today, I can't believe that I am getting up in the cold dark mornings to exercisegrin, this thread is definitely keeping me motivatedsmile.

Have stayed off the wine so far this week, roll on tomorrow night so I can have a glass or 2, I know what will happen though, I'll probably not even enjoy themwink.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

TettyLouBar Thu 15-Oct-09 13:13:09

Had a gin and tonic last night! blush felt a bit mad with myself this morning when I woke up, but never mind. Did High energy 5 aerobics and abs yesterday, having a break today too! smile

I agree, this thread is definately helping me to stay focused. Just got resist the temptation for comfort stodgy foods now that it beginning to get colder out and the evenings are sooo dark.

(I WILL fit into my skinniest jeans by christmas!!) grin

TettyLouBar Fri 16-Oct-09 13:57:31

Well peeps, Just been for my first run in absolutely ages, managed 20 mins (gonna work up slowly) not feeling too shabby. smile

Smalline Fri 16-Oct-09 14:38:13

I was very naughty last nightblush, had a bit of a stressful week and didn't want to face another evening without alcoholwink, had a delicious rum cocktail, it was probably very calorific because it had coconut and cream in it, I thoroughly enjoyed it thoughgrin.

Off ice-skating with the kids after school today, hope I come home in one piecesmile.

VicarInaBooTu Fri 16-Oct-09 15:33:49

so what am i doing wrong!
ive got them all. id do them. ive currently doing the superfit/supersculpt more than the others - about 3 times a week but im seeing naff all in the results dept!

i lost over stone with them at one time but now - nothing!

have to say not really moderated my eating but its not that bad - though i do love a couple of glasses of wine in the evenings. wonder if i need to cut that out totally - but id miss it soooo much!

40andproud Fri 16-Oct-09 16:28:50

Can I join too please? You have all inspired me greatly to go and dig out my Davina DVD lol. It's the Power of 3 one and I've only done it once in all the years I've had it and it nearly killed me grin

I have started calorie counting this week and keeping a food diary and so far it is going well. Thanks for the recommendation of the foodfocus site, I like that and think it will really help keep me on the straight and narrow. My downfall is wine and nibbles/children's leftovers. But I really cannot go on like this - it's making me depressed which makes me eat more lol.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. I find weekends the worst for temptation...

outnumberedbymyboys Fri 16-Oct-09 16:35:41

Have dusted off Davina DVD bought when DS2 was tiny for the first time this week and then found this post. Worked really well until he wanted me to lift him up through the star jumps in power of 5. Will try again whilst both boys eating dinner - and DS2 is firmly strapped in high chair.

TettyLouBar Sat 17-Oct-09 16:34:51

Hi there newbies!

Vicar: Sounds like your doing exactly what I was doing, religous exercising and eating reasonably healthily, but stuck fast to supping on the old red stuff at night. hmm, I kept that up for weeks and weeks before I decided to ditch the booze for a whole month and thats when I started to get huge results. (Lost 4 lb in first week)

Dont get me wrong, I have finished with the complete ban, and now I drink on weekends (in moderation, DH & I shared a bottle of red last night) and during the week if I really fancy a G&T I'll have a tall one and make it last. But with me it was a real habit and I wasnt enjoying drinking because It wasn't special and occasional with me it was nearly every night (6 out of 7 normally) and rather a lot too!! blush

I must admit aswell as losing a lb a week, Ive also saved a fortune on not buying so much booze aswell and saved it up for crimbo! Good luck, keep us updated!!

40 - I was terrible for DD's leftovers! but if I ate what she left at every meal throughout each day I calculated that it was atleast an extra 150 calories a day easy! (DH will hoover it up if around)
The workouts will get easier, keep it up grin

outnumbered - if you can do the workouts with LO's in the room than good for you!! My DD hates watching me workout and gets really mad at me! I have to resort to nap times and creche times smile

Welcome peeps! Keep us updated and keep up the positive thinking and by christmas, we'll all be nearly 10 lbs lighter (based on lasing a lb a week) and damn site fitter!! gringringrin

TettyLouBar Sat 17-Oct-09 16:37:30

P.s. Smalline - you go girl! cocktails are an imperitive part of my life - I was drinking cosmo's with the girls at a hen do not 2 weeks ago and loved every minute!! wink

VicarInaBooTu Sat 17-Oct-09 19:16:20

as i thought....its the demon drink!

right. off too find some willpower...

seriously - how do you cut it out? its my only vice and i absolutely love a glass of wine. (a bit too much maybe!)

but - it looks like its the only thing thats going to work - going T total for a while.

i did the super sculpt last night - really enjoy that one. having a day off today - will do superfit on sunday. wonder if i could just cut down to one glass a day???!!!.....

TettyLouBar Sun 18-Oct-09 11:15:22

Personally, I found that the only way it worked for me was to go cold turkey. I could never have the will power to limit myself to little amounts during the week.
The first week was fairly hard going but after I saw the initial weight loss it spurred me on to continue.
I think Ive mentioned all this right back in the OPs but I also cut out bread, in favour of rivitas and stopped eating carbs after about 3pm. Loads of steamed veg and salads.
I've now reintrodced small amounts of whatever carb we eat in the evenings as a family, but I really do only have a tiny amount to give me a taster. e.g. if we're having new potatoes, I'll have one sliced up and mixed in with loads of steamed veg to give me the taste, instead of having my usual 4-5 along with DH. (I think I could afford to have more than that if I wanted and still lose weight, but I choose to treat myself in other ways during day, like having
an evening snack like a chocolate mousse or something)

I think with me it was more than just an attempt to lose weight, Ive always been aware of the quantities I drink and have been meaning to do something about it for far too long. hmm It was a change of lifestyle that I intend to to keep up. smile
Its easy now, and was a lot more easier altogether than I thought.

grin good luck!!

40andproud Sun 18-Oct-09 12:14:12

Hi all,

I'm still plodding on with my calorie counting but after a week, I think I will only lose the excess 2 pounds from overeating IYSWIM. This week, the weight loss proper needs to start and as I'm averaging about 1600 cals a day, I need to cut down more and exercise more to actually lose any more weight. The wine is the main factor, I agree. I have about 2 glasses a day but it has been a long time since I had an alcohol free day blush. I can't cut it out altogether but I admire those of you that can. I would like to drink only at the weekends but have not managed this yet either sad.

Have not done Davina yet, I want to be in the house on my own before I summon up the courage!

Good luck to all. We're making mince pies today and I am only planning to have one, wish me luck!

TettyLouBar Sun 18-Oct-09 20:24:31

40, I read once that if your super super super good all day and exercise, you can have nice treats and stuff the next and alternate days and that you will lose weight that way. Ive never tried it so I dont know whether it works, but I guess it means proper low fat, no bread, salad for lunch, no carbs at dinner type day and then you can eat pretty much what you want (in moderation) the next and have a glass of wine. I'm guessing you might have to be careful with portion control on your treat day though and be careful no to go over board.

Dont know that this diet is called but I'm sure its out there somewhere on the net. Might be good for you? grin

40andproud Mon 19-Oct-09 10:51:28

Morning everyone,

I just wanted to share that I finally did the first part of Davina's Power of 3 DVD today (legs and bums)! I did most of it and feel suitably exercised now wink.

My average number of calories per day for the last week was 1700 and I lost 2lbs. I'm hoping to exercise more this week (only walking to and from school otherwise) and to cut down on the alcohol if possible hmm because I don't seem to be eating too badly.

Hope you all had a good weekend. Thanks for all the tips TLB and the encouragement. How are you getting on?

TettyLouBar Mon 19-Oct-09 12:05:33

Weight in tomo! Getting on ok with the healthy eating. No exercise today as Ive used every shred of time alone whilst DD at creche and napping to prep for job interview tomo. (been out of nursing for nearly 2 years so feeling a little out of practice and nervous)
Once tomo's out of the way I'm gonna get back into the dvd's for the rest of the week. smile

Good news is that the only smart suit I own actually fits really nicely for tomorrow! It definately wouldnt have done had it not been for my new eating and exercise regime so I'm feeling really chuffed with myself! grin

well done for getting your dvd's out! thats it now, no turning back! you'll be hooked!
wink

40andproud Mon 19-Oct-09 13:06:37

Good luck for tomorrow TLB. I hope it goes well. Great news about your suit smile.

reikizen Mon 19-Oct-09 13:18:52

I've been doing the power of 3 and the 30 minute workouts for a while but got the 'super body workout' for my birthday. You can't imagine how excited I am about it blush but I have to turn the sound off the workouts now as I Davina herself drives me potty. Have lost no weight at all but legs and bum no longer wobble so pleased with that! Just can't stop eating massive amounts of food for some reason! Not 'naughty' stuff, but just huge portions. It's always nice to know you are not alone doing these things.

Smalline Tue 20-Oct-09 20:09:38

Hello peeps, have been so busy over the last few days haven't had time to report my weight loss for last week... I'm still on target, lost 1lb. I haven't exercised since Saturday when I did the aerobics, legs & pump sections of Davina's High Energy 5 dvd, I am now finding it a struggle to get out of my warm bed in the mornings to exercisewink.

TettyLouBar Wed 21-Oct-09 12:13:11

Well done Smalline! I lost another lb too. Keep it up, I know its harder to get out of bed when the winter mornings are so chilly, but its soooo worth it!

Gonna do Superfit now while DD sleeps. Made Carrot cake today for some friends popping round so need to balance my calorie burn with my cake intake!! wink

Smalline Wed 21-Oct-09 14:55:36

Thanks TLB and well done to you too!

How did you get on in your interview yesterday? I've got an interview on Friday, my first in about 30 years, I'm changing my career!

I managed to get out of my warm bed this morning and did my favourite workout, Supersculpt, with Super Abs, it was definitely worth itsmile.

I'm just going to ice my chocolate cake that I made earlier, hopefully I won't feel too guilty when I sample it laterwink.

reikizen Wed 21-Oct-09 14:58:02

Have now done 2 of the super body workouts and enjoy them much more than previous DVDs, music is better but wow, Davina's gurning and facial ticks are really bad aren't they?

TettyLouBar Wed 21-Oct-09 18:05:15

LOL Reikizin! Yeah she pulls really funny faces, I must admit, she never used to bother me with her yap and silly comments, but after the 100th time of working out with the same comments, you do feel like slapping her! hmm

Smalline, I'm sure you earnt that slice of choccy cake! My interview went well I think. It was a very short one to one and more of a group interaction type thing (nursing bank interview) so it wasn't heavy going.

must go, DD just wafted past me and she doesnt smell sweet! Change time grin

Smalline Thu 22-Oct-09 21:35:46

Managed to do pump & cardio box this morning. I noticed on Amazon yesterday, that Davina's new dvd called 'Fit' will be out on 28th December, I won't be getting that in my Christmas stocking thensad.

Smalline Fri 23-Oct-09 09:52:27

Tell a lie, it's 7th December, well I think it's her new fitness dvd, there isn't any blurb as yet.

Did Power of 3 this morning.

TettyLouBar Sat 24-Oct-09 16:24:19

Well spotted Smalline, been looking out for that one. Definately going on my crimbo list to santa! grin

jacyjwc Sat 24-Oct-09 16:36:05

I like Davina. I have 3DCs under 6 and started using mine when DC3 was about 6 months old (about 7 months ago) and DH was working late a lot. I do prefer to go for a run/cycle/swim/gym/class but this is what I use if DH is out, I have managed to get the kids settled in bed and fancy a workout. Her abs exercises are great and I think it did help a bit with tummy area.

I don't know if it is this specifically that has worked for me but just doing the workout stops me getting the evening munchies so it is worth it for that alone!

A friend who is a personal trainer told me that hers is the best of all the workout DVDs.

Smalline Wed 28-Oct-09 09:15:05

Davina's Supersculpt with super legs this morning, a fantastic workout!

No weight loss this week, I'm averaging at 1/2 lb per week, (lose one week, stay the same the next), that's fine with me, in fact anything is fine as long as it isn't going onsmile.

I've found this new exercise class which I tried on Monday, it's like Tae-Bo with super funky musicgrin.

TettyLouBar Sat 31-Oct-09 09:44:55

Hello all! Had a bitch of a week, came back from a friends wedding on sun and have developed 5 ulcers on my tonsils - apparently due to being run-down. Very very painful, haven't exercised all week. Havent been able to swallow food all week either so weight dropped a bit but not really for right reasons. Sorry I havent been on here for few days.
Hope your all still toning and working out? smile

Smalline Sat 31-Oct-09 11:48:40

Ooh TLB that sounds awful! poor yousad.

I'm thinking of not drinking alcohol during November, my friend laughed at me when I told herhmmgrin.

Went to the new class this morning, it was even harder than Mondays, had a different instructor, so my new weekly routine for the time being is going to be 2 exercise classes, Monday and Saturday, then 2 workouts at home.

How is everyone else doing?

TettyLouBar Wed 11-Nov-09 12:24:48

Hello all! Sorry Ive not been on here for a few a while, been away visiting family. I'm now firmly back on the workouts again. After nearly 3 weeks without working out I nearly died when I did super sculpt yesterday! What a difference a few weeks off makes. hmm

Atleast I now know that my fitness levels were considerably higher as a result of regularly working out!
Looking forward to hearing how your all doin?
I'm still slowly losing weight, normally 0.5 lb a week so its a slow process but Ive noticed that whenever I fall off the wagon and have a few treats the weight doesnt pile on really fast.
I guess its true what they say about the slower you lose weight the less likely you are to put it back on again!

grin

Gismo68 Sat 23-Mar-13 23:14:07

Hi I'm new here I have been usin davina intense for a wee while now and have been on Weightwatchers but not really noticed a lot of difference giving up on the Weightwatchers and going to follow my own diet.i love doing the davina DVD feel great after it just wish I could loose my 9 lbs need to loose any advice mums.i do the dvd at least 5 times a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now