Has anyone else had success with Davina?

(96 Posts)
TettyLouBar Sun 20-Sep-09 12:54:29

Hi there,
this might not be for everyone, but over the last few years I have collected Davinas exercise Dvd's (various well-meant crimbo gifts etc) ...well they sat on the shelf gathering dust for the past few years until DD reached the grand old age of one and I realised that my weight hadnt budged since breast feeding finished when she was 7 months.
So I started doing a few of her workouts and mixing them up with the different dvds each week. And I can honestly say Ive never been so fit, full of energy and my shape has really changed!!

Initially I just did the 40 mins of workouts 3-4 times a week without changing my diet at all. (My biggest down fall is a glass of wine in the evenings and chocolate). I didnt really lose any weight, but I toned LOADS and my butt, legs and arms have really shaped up. I started to fit into jeans and tops alot better even though I wasn't losing. (I did this for about 6-7 weeks religiously whilst DD napped)

Then 3 weeks ago i decided to use Septemeber as my post summer binge detox month and so far Ive lost 7lbs in 3 weeks!
I basically do the workouts 3 times a week (mixture of body sculpting, boxercise, aerobics, superfit and core stability. you need a small pair of dumbbells for low weight high repitition toning exercises) and Ive cut out alcohol completely and dont eat carbs after 3pm, I avoid bread in favour of rivita/crispbreads. Thats it!

I love my new look and people are commenting all the time that I have totally changed shape. Why didnt I do this ages ago???

Just thought I'd share my story as Ive tried EVERY DIET in the book over the years but the only thing that has worked for me is everything in moderation foodwise, ( I chose to cut out booze completely for the first month) and regular exercise.

Come join me??? smilesmilesmile

ineedalifelaundry Sun 20-Sep-09 13:07:03

Sounds interesting... I have a davina DVD gathring dust too, and the dumbells to go with it!

But how do you manage the evening meal without carbs? No rice or pasta?? And when you say you've replaced bread with ryvita etc, do you mean all day or just after 3pm?

ohforaman Sun 20-Sep-09 13:36:40

Hi TLB, same here!

My body shape has totally changed. I've also received lots of comments about how much weight I look like I've lost when in fact I haven't.

Saying that though, there is a stubborn half a stone that I'd like to shift and know that cutting out the booze, laying off the wrong type of carbs will definitely make a difference - I'm in!

TettyLouBar Mon 21-Sep-09 10:40:10

Ineedalifelaundry:

I usually use the steamer alot for evening meals and steam batons of carrots/parsnips/broccoli/peas/sweetcorn/broadbeans/slicedleeks/mange tout/asparagus anything I can get my hands on really, and as much as I want. I mix it up each evening and add a little mustard/spread/white pepper/chilli anything to give it taste. I usually have either chicken grilled, baked fish, we bbq kebabs alot in summer months. DH loves his carbs so if I cook them for him I will mix a tiny amount of brown rice/ potatoes/ pasta in with my veg to make it feel like I'm not missing out. wink

I dont have toast in morning - I usually have weetabix with mixed dried fruit and skimmed milk/ porridge/ cereals mixed with lowfat yoghurt/ or muesli with fromage frais.

For lunch instead of bread, I have 4 rivita with whatever filling I was gonna put in sandwiches for DH on the top.
or steamed veg mixed with some shop bought ravioli, or an omlette. I try not to eat any high carb foods after 3pm but I do sometimes have a little with dinner. (e.g. one or two boiled new potatos sliced up and mixed with my veg if Ive made them for DH and DD anyway!)

The key i think is the exercise to balance what carbs i do eat. Ive always had a slow metabolism and struggled to burn off high carb meals in the evenings. I hate exercising in the evenings too as it winds me up so much I cant sleep!!

I miss my glass of wine sometimes so I have a wine glass full of slimline tonic (minus the gin!!hmm) with ice lemon and lime in the evenings.

ohforaman - I miss the booze, but the longer Ive managed without it the easier I found it and I really think it was just a habit of mine. It really has helped to drop the lbs. My weekly weigh-in is tomorrow morning first thing so fingers crossed. grin

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Sep-09 10:45:11

I feel like a broken record recommending Davina all the time on here, which I do, a lot, all the time, at least once a week.

Her DVDs are very good, even my personal trainer dh approves. Interval training based, very, very good. Fat loss and toning.

She's got the formula right. Exercise and eat healthily.

TettyLouBar Mon 21-Sep-09 13:06:10

ShowOfHands - couldnt agree more. Superbody has to be my favourite. but theyre all good!! I was a little nervous about using the weights and doing so many arms exercises because I didnt want to end up with massively toned arms, but I found that the pump routines have really changed the shape of my upper body and helped me regain some of my tone after breast feeding too.
(They're not really heavy weights either <scuttles off to check the label on them> they're 1.35kg cheapeys from Aldis I think?!?

I cant definately do more cardio stuff now too and feel so much better in myself just for doing the workouts every other day. It really sets me up for the day and makes me feel good about myself.

(sorry if I'm bleeting on about this but I just want other people who are struggling with weight loss and are in the same boat I was to try this!)gringringrin

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Sep-09 14:13:51

You won't build muscle with weights that small, you'll only tone. grin In fact I work with 6k weights now and I'm not building up too much, just improving mass very slightly.

I found that after doing Davina (and Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy if you fancy a change, very different though) for about 6 months I needed a bit more of a cardio workout and took up running. I can now do a 10k at a pretty good pace and it's all thanks to Davina really.

I think that what Davina rightly acknowledges is the lifestyle change needed to achieve and maintain weightloss. And it's fun and rewarding and God, do you feel better for it.

She's got a new one coming out I think. Probably in time for Christmas.

I like the Superbody one too but like different things about all of them.

TettyLouBar Mon 21-Sep-09 17:58:16

Wow showofhands! 6kg! thats brilliant! I've never really done weights before but my career started in the military so I did lots of cardio and physical training <shifts uncomfortably> (when forced to) hmm but I was never good at going to the gym in my own time. blush
It wasnt until I finished my service and left that I started to take an interest in personal health and fitness after having my DD. I think it was the knowledge that I had access to all of the gyms and running and instructors I wanted that put me off really. Now that I have to pay for all that stuff in civilian life I would love to access it!?! how daft! angry

I'm thinking of increasing my weights soon, but not sure how much to go up by, any ideas?

p.s. Davinas new DVD: v.v.v.excited!

ShowOfHands Tue 22-Sep-09 09:38:07

The best thing to do is get dumbell bars with plates so that you can change the weight (not expensive either). That way there's scope to change and I also find that different muscles need different weights. Minimum 3k really for an effective workout.

The military. What branch? I was in the TA for several years so as a regular feel free to scream "hobby army" at me and point and laugh. I actually only did it because I was at university and the officer training corps promised travel and sport and somebody (insert a pointed look at my dh here) said I couldn't do it. I'm a ridiculously liberal, pacifistic leftie in rl so I think it shocked everybody that I spent weekends cammed up and waving an sa80 with menace.

My dh ran a gym and was a personal trainer many moons ago and having access to it meant that I wasn't interested either. Now I have a dd too and dh is a police officer and I'd love to use a gym (money and childcare making it impossible obviously). I find I enjoy it more now, possibly something to do with the sense of achievement from having to work so damn hard to get back in shape after having dd. I was not a pretty sight pregnant. Picture an overweight whale flopping about on the beach. That was pretty much me. grin

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Sep-09 13:31:58

Thanks for the recommendation for the weights. Never though of getting adjustable ones! I think I'll move up to the next weight pretty soon as I'm finding the pump sessions pretty easy and its starting to get a bit boring.

I was in the RAF for nearly 7 years. (Princess Marys RAF Nursing Service) I trained in the Military for my nursing degree down in Pompey so being on a training establishment for 3 years after basic meant enforced pt sessions and regular fitness testing. (I hated it that part), but didnt do too badly at it.
I had every intention of serving atleast my 9 years minimum, but DD came along, and due to DH also being in, we felt that one of us would be better leaving and bringing up DD. (Not that I have anything against people who both stay in and bring kids up) it just wasn't for us. smile

I miss certain aspects of the lifestyle, but wouldnt swap DD for the world. I can still dip in and out of it with DH still serving. We live in quarters off camp and I do have access to their camp gym, but I must admit I enjoy the workouts more than actually using weights and machines in the gym.

Personally, I always hated the thought of camming up and rolling around in the grass in CS95's, but after we had done a few days of it I always ended up lovin it! grin

I do enjoy the sense of achievement most too. I definately won't go back to my old lifestyle, and if I have another LO, I'll be nipping straight out to the shops for Davinas pre/post pregnancy dvd too! wink

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Tue 22-Sep-09 13:44:31

I'd like to know at what time of the day you fit this in.

I'm guessing you get up extra early, which is where I fall down - I plan to do it later but other things always seem to crop up.

Plus I go to bed late (get inordinate pleasure from vegging slug-like on the sofa when the DCs gave gone to bed.)

I do agree Davina's DVDs are excellent, though, if the latest one is typical.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Sep-09 14:02:20

OurLady,

I used to do a 40 min workout when DD was having her morning nap, but recently shes dropped a nap and has one after lunch so I've been doing a workout then. mon, wed and fri normally.

She has started creche on mon and wed mornings 9-12 so I aim to do workouts then instead from now on. I must admit, the temptation to do well overdue housework, or veg out on the sofa and read or watch tv (or go back to bed!!!) is very strong, but the results I have had from working out regularly have spurred me on. Now its just a habit more than anything.

I'm hoping to go back to nursing soon part time but until then I'll fit it in as much as possible around when DD's either asleep or in creche! grin

yes, i davina religiously - feel rotten if I don't do something - I average about six times a week - 2x pump and boxercise from 30m workout and at the weekends indulge in superfit and sculpt. I eat pretty healthily, but do have a glass or two of wine everyday , which is preventing me from a good weight loss - I can really feel the difference though!

I work full time, single mum to three. I davina at 6.15 in the morning. set's me up for the day. will be GORGEOUS by xmas! ;)

Smalline Tue 22-Sep-09 14:35:02

Another Davina fan here, well not Davina herself but her workoutssmile. Like persephonesnape I eat pretty healthily, but have a glass or two of wine 4-5 times a week, which is also preventing me from losing weight as quickly as I would like.

I have 3 of her dvds, not the latest 1 though, but I alternate these with Billy Blank's Tae-Bo dvds, and very occasionally Nell McAndrews. I'm trying to exercise 5 times a week now, usually at 6.30 in the morning, I feel great after working outgrin.

me too (about the feeling great, although the sweat literally drips off of my behind in the longer work outs..) I cannot ABIDE Davina - all those little comments and face pulling and argh! <slap!>

but it does the job.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Sep-09 18:00:44

What does Nell's workout have in it then ladies? any good?

Smalline Tue 22-Sep-09 21:37:31

I have 2 of Nell's workouts, 'Ultimate Challenge' (which I like the sound of)! this routine has 2 sections of cardio which include squats and 20 minutes targeting shoulders and arms, abs, press-ups, sit-ups and bums, there are 'bail out' options at various intervals, so you can stop if you find the going too tough. I also have her 'Cardio, Core & Stretch' I've only done it once so far, both of her workouts are okay, the cardio sections are pretty repetive, I just think that Davina has the right format with her workouts.

TettyLouBar Wed 23-Sep-09 12:53:26

Thanks Smalline, I think I'll stick with her then. smile

Ohforaman, how you getting on? any changes yet? have you managed to stay booze free? grin

mrshouse Wed 23-Sep-09 21:20:08

Ooh I have had Davina DVD's gathering dust and had just tonight resolved that tomorrow I WILL start. I have 2 in a box set - not sure where to start. Any suggestions. I am a former fit gym bunny but since having DD and DS have slipped into complete lethargy. Have 1.5 stone to lose and would like to do it NOW.

Would any of you lovely folk like to be my mentor ?

Smalline Thu 24-Sep-09 09:40:59

Oh me please mrshouse. what are the 2 dvds that you have? what are your eating habits like, any trigger foods, booze, chocolate, biscuits? mine is wine, I'm alright if I don't touch it, but if I do, I can't stop until the bottle is finished, and if DH has only one glass guess who has the rest...blush

mrshouse Thu 24-Sep-09 10:51:41

Thank you Smallline! I am feeling really motivated today.

Ok so I have Power of 3 and the 30 minute work outs. I have just done cardiobox as I love bouncing around but am really poor at floor excercises. I never know if I'm doing them right and don't have much core strength at all following pregnancies.

Food is my downfall. I always struggled with my weight. I am naturally very petite and managed to keep weight well in hand prekids but eating huge amounts while pregnant and now being surrounded by biscuits and fairy cakes is my downfall. Eg I don't keep biscuits in the house but if I buy a packet for a playdate I invariably finish them or eat them before the girls even get to them. When DD is given sweets she never eats them but I do. DH is working away during the week so I am often just preparing meals for me, DD and a one year old at the moment and also DH tends to want lots of indulgence at the weekend and then I scoff the leftovers on Monday...aaarrgh!

My other problem is I can easily motivate myself for a few weeks for an ocassion and lose ten pounds or so but as soon as the occasion passes I slip back so I need to change my lifestyle without a specific point in mind. Ie if I focus on Christmas parties then I will completely lapse in January.

I know excercise is the key as if I excercise in the morning I want to eat healthily for the rest of the day.

I really want to get my old myself back, am sick of wearing clothes I don't even like because I think they are 'flattering' (camoflage).

Wow that was a bit of an essay! Any ideas for a Davina excercise regime ?

TettyLouBar Thu 24-Sep-09 13:37:09

Mrshouse,
I started with the power of three and 30 minute workouts too! I think inititally I use to either do one workout session from each dvd a week so I was doing 2 sessions a week, in addition to that I also went running once a week too.

As I got a bit more into the routines and new what each one contained I sometimes did two in a row (i.e. legs&bums, followed by abdominals from the power of 3 dvd)

I then got a bit more into the workouts at when I initially started my "new me" regime I bought her other two dvd's I could "superbody workout" and "high energy five" and started to workout every morning at DD's naptime 5 times a week. (I wanted to get my fitness up to a certain level, and like you found that the days that I exercised in the mornings, I ate well all day too)
I use to mix dvd's each day and gradually increased my fitness until I found that eventually I could concentrate more on actually doing each exercise correctly, and more vigorously, rather that just trying to get through the workout in one piece!! blush

Now I workout atleast mon, wed and fri (but normally do more) 3x weekly is my bench mark as any less than that and I start to feel sluggish, lazy and unmotivated.
"Superbody workout" is my favourite dvd as both of the routines on that disc make me feel like I've really worked every part of my body afterwards and I feel great. (Theyre called Superfit and Supersculpt. (There's also 4 extra tag-on 10minute extras that you can pick from to add onto the workouts which concentrate on key areas (abs, sixpack, legs and pump) I didnt use the extras to begin with until I felt that I was able to work through the initial routine at a consistent pace and really give it welly! smile

Hope this helps! wink let us know how you get on!

Smalline Thu 24-Sep-09 14:08:11

Thanks TettyLouBar, I couldn't have put that better myselfsmile.

TettyLouBar Thu 24-Sep-09 19:36:08

Sorry Smalline, didnt mean to speak for you! smile

Smalline Thu 24-Sep-09 20:28:47

You didn't TettyLouBar! you did I better job than I could have donesmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now