Anyone ever tried Alli?

(9 Posts)
Seb101 Sun 26-May-13 14:58:27

Oh god yes and it was horrible! It upset my tummy and made me so gassy! If I'd had even the smallest amount of fat I'd leak out foul smelling fat/poo stuff if I dared pass wind!!! Yuck. Running to loo constantly; gross! I'll never be desperate enough to use it again! My body just couldn't tolerate it! Sorry that's way tmi, but the truth. Lol

I used it very successfully.

You have to follow the diet instructions that come with it - there's a maximum and a minimum amount of fat you have to stick to.
The liquid fat poo issue happens only if you've had too much fat in your food- it really focuses you on sticking to it, as you can see in the loo if you've not been! (toilet cleaning frequency increased smile)Also, I became wary of trying to sneak a fart out, because of possible squishy issues.
Once was enough to make me stick religiously to my diet. TMI, but important to know what you're getting into.
Those are the potential pitfalls, the upside is I consistently lost 2-3 lbs per week, for months. Which was more than I could without it.

In a nutshell, it incentivises self discipline, and reduces that gets absorbed, which made it very effective for me.

QueenOfHalloween Fri 17-May-13 22:28:49

I had the leakage so stopped using it. But if you do decide to give it a try and end up a bit windy, what ever you do do not fart unless seated on the loo grin

EleanorFarjeon Fri 17-May-13 22:22:20

When it first came out, I bought some while I was in US.

(I am not even remotely overweight, so God knows why I did)

If I ate anything fatty, like crisps I would have the shits that would leave an orange film of fatty globules in the loo.

Not good.

Foosyerdoos Fri 17-May-13 22:17:51

I have and it was ok, you really need to keep the fat intake down. I didn't have any 'unfortunate' incidents. Alli is a lower concentration than if you got it fom the doctor.
I think it would be worth giving it a try for a week or so to see how you got on.
No orange fat leaked from my arse thankfully grin

FrickingFedUp Fri 17-May-13 14:06:24

This is why I posted - yes perhaps on reflection I am not that desperate!

I wasn't sure if it was only really fatty meals that caused the unpleasant effects - but by the sounds of it they are inevitable so perhaps I won't bother! grin

It makes orange liquid fat ooze from your arse.

How desperate are you?

Chocotrekkie Fri 17-May-13 13:08:38

I did it and slimming world together for a couple of weeks but didn't get on with it. My tummy really hurt and the side effects were really bad for me.

I couldn't leave the house by the end as I needed to be close to a loo and loo cleaning stuff (sorry probably tmi) but I did lose 7 pounds in 3 weeks.

FrickingFedUp Fri 17-May-13 13:02:20

I wouldn't normally go for these "quick fixes" but I am going to India in 12 weeks - I am plodding along and doing ok on slimming world but would like a boost before I go away and they have an offer on groupon for Alli.

Has anyone tried it? I work in healthcare so I'm aware how orlistat, the active ingredient works, but I am also aware that Alli is weaker than the stuff you get on prescription.

How "low fat" does your diet have to be so you don't get the unpleasant effects, I.e. would a small portion of cheddar that I am allowed on slimming world set me off? Does it actually work in boosting weight loss? Also what kind of BMI are/were you at - mine is probably around 27ish...

Just as a disclaimer I am we'll aware that a more long term approach is best long term - but just curious to see if it has worked for anyone to make an informed judgement...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now