Nutrition advice to lose fat, not weight.

(14 Posts)
hotfudge Wed 15-May-13 14:18:38

In the past year I've lost a good bit of weight through sensible eating and regular exercise. My weight is now at a healthly level and I'm not looking to lose any more. And thanks to body pump classes I've got muscles I've never had before! Only problem is, they're covered by a good layer of chub! Any tips to shift the remaining layer of fat? I need to do a bit more cardio I think, so will pick up running again, but diet wise I could do with a structure to follow if anyone has a recommendation?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 23:49:08

My DH is a personal trainer...I'll happily ask him his thoughts in the morning. What's your BMI if you don't mind a personal question.

hotfudge Thu 16-May-13 22:38:16

Thanx Neo. BMI is 22.4. Any advice much appreciated!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 16-May-13 23:11:08

Are you certain that you've a layer of fat? With that BMI it's surely not a layer...I'll ask DH what he reckons...maybe you just need to tone up a bit? He'll probably suggest running...generally that's a great way to sort this last hurdle out and it's cheap! grin

What are you eating at the moment...a typical day... so I can mention it to him...he's on the phone right now.

hotfudge Fri 17-May-13 13:42:45

Thanks Neo! I'm a bit of a carb fiend ... usually healthyish cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, and often pasta for dinner! I have a sweet tooth and find it hard to resist a few biscuits or sweets at night, and I also like my vino ... I'm guessing I will need to reduce the carbs and up the protein.

I know my BMI is fine - like I say, not looking to lose any more weight - but believe me, my hard gotten body pump muscles are hard to see due to a covering layer of soft flab! Defo need to tone up!

Keep up with the body pump but add cardio a few times a week. It needn't be long runs/sessions on cross trainer, just 15-20 mins of intervals will burn loads of calories and are better for fat burning than steady state cardio. It can be anything, eg

-run up a hill and walk/gentle jog down. Repeat as many times as you are physically able
- skip for one minute, rest for one minute. Repeat 8-12 times
- do 10 burpees then 10 push ups. Rest 30 secs, repeat x3

Get the idea? The other thing that you may enjoy is training with free weights now that you have had your introduction with pump. You could alternate sets of weights exercises with things like skipping, burpees, rowing to get your heart rate up, a great way to train.

Oh and if you really love your carbs but want to lose a few more lbs, try just getting rid of them after 4pm, that will slash your calories straight away and isn't such a hardship. Have pasta as a treat dinner once a week. Replace with roast or grilled lean meat and lots of veggies, roasted, steamed or stir fried. Another improvement would be eggs or porridge with fruit for breakfast instead of cereal.

Lean meat or fish smile

hotfudge Mon 20-May-13 19:51:32

That's really helpful, Sleepwhenidie, thanx so much for taking the time to advise!

something2say Mon 20-May-13 22:30:35

.....what is a burpee?

Burpee- get in push up position, jump your feet up to between your hands and push off hands and feet to jump straight up, then drop hands straight back down to flow and jump feet back out to original position-repeat, it should be one sort of full motion, rather than in steps IYSWIM.

If you really want to work hard add a push up in before you jump your feet forwards. Killer.

YouTube will have lots of vids to illustrate better than my burblings, will find a link grin.

down to floor - not flow smile

No problem fudge - good luck.

RhondaJean Sat 25-May-13 15:28:09

Try to cut the sugar out of your diet. No biscuits etc, and careful on the wine.

Replace any white pasta bread rice etc witqh wholemeal options.

Eat lots of chicken breast and turkey mince. Drink lots of water to flush out toxins and fluids. Broccoli, red peppers, ginger, garlic, blueberries are all good to have as much of as possible in your diet.

Porridge for breakfast. Snack on fruit, cheeses, veg sticks and oatcakes. Eat more protein and you should find the carb cravings reduced anyway as it makes you fuller.

Push your weights at body pump - keeping increasing them every few weeks.

There's not really a magic solution unfortunately, wish their was, I'm with you in having great muscle tone but it's under fat, more fat than yours as well.

hotfudge Sun 26-May-13 09:21:58

Thanx RJ! A few simple dietary changes would make a big difference! There's little point in all my body pumping if I'm still scoffing too much of the wrong foods! Ho hum ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now