Why am I so bloated?

(6 Posts)
mummatotwo Thu 09-May-13 10:43:44

Im cutting down and sort of following the SW diet ony on it since tues but I feel sooo bloated and my stomach looks huge.

Im eating well and following the diet.

Any ideas???

Teresatableux Thu 09-May-13 12:17:13

Im not dietician, but Im going to take a stab at the fact that your stomach already looked huge and that blaming it on the diet is a delicious irony. Not as delicious as cake though

mummatotwo I'm not a dietician either. I have IBS and it causes bloating. Get it checked out at the doctor, please. There are other really horrible causes of bloating and it may well not be anything to do with them but best to check it out.

Bloating is not the same of fat.

bloatedbellyhelp.com/fatorbloated.html

I should emphasis that this looks like an advert page and not the NHS! So you could look on the NHS site too. Also the list of conditions that can cause bloating does not include ovarian cancer which is one cause. BUT I am not suggesting this is the case of course! Just that I don't think bloating should be ignored as it can be a sign of something else.

Good luck with the weight loss. Whenever I eat a more healthy diet I also bloat!! For me I think it might be certain food like onions, garlic and apples! But check it all out for yourself. Good luck.

Sorry - that should say ....Also the list of conditions that can cause bloating on that website does not include ovarian cancer which is one cause.

www.nhs.uk/ovarian-cancer/Pages/bloating.aspx

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/digestive-health/Pages/beat-the-bloat.aspx

mummatotwo Sat 11-May-13 08:41:13

oh cripes I do have an ovarian cyst which Ive been having checked for the last couple of years, i also have endometriosis.

I recently had blood tests at the Drs as Ive had 2 periods in a month which is way out of normal for me she tested to see if it was early menopause, thyriod iron etc... but all came back clear

Please do not worry, it may well be nothing at all but it is just best not to assume it is fat when it is bloating.

The NHS website says .... "If you've felt bloated most days, for three weeks or more, you should tell your doctor.

Having symptoms doesn't necessarily mean it's cancer. But you won't be wasting anyone's time by getting it checked out and if it's not serious, your mind will be put at rest."

I am a firm believer in finding out the reason for problems! I really hope it is nothing serious and please come and tell us. Once you have elimintaed anything seriouos the doc might be able to say what it is. My doc could not even diagnose that it was bloating, so you may need to make sure you go on a day when you are bloated! All my doc did was feel my stomach. All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now