Burning 300kcal 3 x per week... Will I even make a dent?

(16 Posts)

Have joined a gym and that ^ is about what I'm achieving in my attempt to lose a recently-acquired jelly belly.

I'm hoping to add a weekly yoga/pilates session on top of that, and also kick it off each time with ab exercises.

I do this by going 100kcal on each of the rowing machine, cross trainer and exercise bike. I've found I work better powering towards a calorie goal rather than a time goal as I can see them racking up!

To be fair I don't feel like I'm dying by the end of it so could probably do more but it's a time thing.

I've only just started but wondering if I need to plan to increase if I want to see results?

Fanks chiefs wink grin

Lizzylou Wed 01-May-13 20:28:04

Are you watching your diet as well?
900 calories burned a week can only be a good thing, along with the toning from abs and pilates then yes, I would say that you would start noticing a difference.
As long as you don't eat the 900 cals (and more!) back grin

MorrisZapp Wed 01-May-13 20:33:23

It's a great start but you could work up to burning more, ideally double that per visit for weight loss.

Pigsinblankets Wed 01-May-13 20:35:48

Does the gym have any staff that could advise you? Most will give you a plan to work towards, you could do a bit of strength work too then. They should also review you regularly to check progress.

Y'know, it's weird about diet - I was much thinner this time last year, and my diet hasn't really changed significantly. I guess I am now cooking more "proper meals" since moving in with DP as I have someone to appreciate it, but I'm not sure my low-effort "meals for one" were especially healthy!

I suspect my DEPO injection might have contributed to the weight loss.

I've also taken to drinking wine in the evenings more than usual. Trying to kick that one! <sips gin & slim>

Don't make me give up the Boursin

CooEeeEldridge Fri 03-May-13 15:57:49

Ugh mermaid, when I moved in with my boyf I put in a load of weight, those meals for one probably were better in some ways! Anyhoo, to the point- Does your gym do classes? I find these by far the best way to push myself harder, you can also double up on them without it seeming too much effort if that makes sense?

I'd aim to be burning at least 500-600 calories per in the gym session personally. A one off session with a PT is also a good investment to mix things up a bit. Do you do any weights? Weight training makes your body continue burning calories throughout the day.

mirai Sun 05-May-13 14:34:42

Make sure your portion sizes aren't the same as DP's!

CoteDAzur Sun 05-May-13 17:17:08

A few comments:

- It is not just the calories you spend in the gym. Cardio exercise speeds up your metabolism so that you burn more calories in your daily life.

- Work towards a calorie goal if that feels easier, but you should still be doing a minimum of 45 minutes of cardio exercise in total. How long does it take you to do these three exercises?

- If you are not very tired by the end of the cardio session, you probably aren't pushing yourself enough.

I haven't worked out in a gym for a long time (prefer running outside these days) but looking back at my gym sessions on RunKeeper, a typical session was: 35 mins on treadmill (4.7 km = 354 kCal) + 15 mins on rowing machine (2.54 km = 144 kCal). So that was 45 mins and 500 kCal. I was also pretty wasted by the end of it.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 05-May-13 17:22:11

An extra 900 calories a week burnt will be a pound a month, unless you also reduce your calorie intake.

CursiveLetters Sun 05-May-13 17:38:30

The more muscle you add the higher your metab - definitely add in yoga or pilates to build some muscle as well. And remember that anything is better than nothing - even if you aren't burning loads it will help you maintain rather than continuing to gain.

LollyLaDrumstick Sun 05-May-13 17:44:09

If you're not coming out red and sweaty and dying- you're not doing anything.

MorrisZapp Thu 09-May-13 09:30:15

I tend to agree with lolly, harsh but sadly true. Having said that, I walk a lot and I do think its beneficial, although I don't usually sweat.

I've also started hula hooping at home, it's a relaxed workout that only just raises my heart rate. I still think its a bonus.

I do body attack at the gym and literally scream for mercy so I know the difference smile

Op, maybe try a class, to feel what a hard workout is like?

It’s a good start, but as PP’s have said, the harsh truth is that you need to be doing a minimum of 45 minutes cardio per session, and you need to be out of breath and sweating… not strolling on the treadmill chatting to your mate who is on the machine next to you, going “woohoo look I’ve burned 100 calories” grin

If time constraints are the problem then maybe a class would be better, the cardio classes in my gym (spinning or body combat for example) reckon they burn about 700 calories in 45 mins to an hour. After a good spinning class, they literally send the cleaner in afterwards to mop the sweat up.

And definitely yes to a session with a Personal Trainer – they’ll push you hard and you’ll be surprised at what you can actually do, compared to what, at the moment, you only think you can do.

I think there’s also a psychological aspect to this. I know if I’ve been to the gym I “allow” myself an extra glass of wine treat but it’s all too easy to allow yourself another cream cake, and another packet of crisps, and another plate of cheese to go with the glass of wine and before you know it you’ve undone all of your hard work.

EuroShaggleton Thu 09-May-13 10:23:26

900 cals burned a week is better than nothing, but as 3500 cals is generally considered to equal a pound in weight, it will take you almost a month to lose a pound unless you are creating a calorie deficit through diet on top.

It sounds like you need to push yourself harder, tbh. Crank up the resistence and the time on the machines, and add in some weights (use a personal trainer or class to help you get going if this is not something you have done before).

carabos Thu 09-May-13 18:55:57

Be aware that the amount of cals you burn through exercise varies dramatically depending on your weight. Gyms have a vested interest in promoting the calorie burning benefits of their classes but what they don't tell you is that the numbers they quote are based on the weight of an average man i.e. approx 12 stone.

Our spinning trainer always says at the beginning of a class that we can expect to burn up to 600 cals in the 45 min session. This is double what I, at 54kg will actually burn in that time.

It's very easy to kid yourself about a) the amount of the calories you are eating and b) the amount you are burning through exercise. The former number will be much higher than you think and the second much lower.

As a rough guide, there are 3500 calories to a pound of fat - so to lose 1lb you'd need to reduce your intake/up your exercise from the amount that will sustain your current weight by that amount of calories for every pound you want to lose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now