Week 1 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp starts here!

(798 Posts)
BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 10:34:01

Morning all! There are over 150 of us signed up for Bootcamp, so it’s going to be busy I think. If you haven’t already put your name on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness, here is the link so that you can add yourself:

Just add yourself to the bottom of the list and the lovely WillieWaggleDagger, our SpreadsheetMeister, will ensure that it is re-sorted to remain alphabetised. Don’t touch any of the blue columns!
We work in pounds, but if you are a metric person, there’s a tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet that says ‘conversion’ which will recalculate from metric to imperial.

It’s up to you whether you choose to enter your actual weight or to index it, i.e. you start today at 100, and for every pound you lose you drop by 1.

You will also see on the tabs on the spreadsheet the rules for Bootcamp, as well as rules for those of you who are vegetarian, and rules for Bootcamp Light, which you can move on to after two weeks of Bootcamp.

There are only 10 rules, and the thinking behind Bootcamp is that it should be as straightforward as possible to follow. If you follow the rules (yes, all of them – and especially no 7!), you will lose weight.

The idea behind Bootcamp is that we have a strict fortnight of low carbing, to break the addiction that we have to carbs and sweet things. You are making sure that you are switching your body from burning carbs to burning fat, and you will go into what is called ketosis in these first two weeks.

All that this means is that you are fat-burning.

In the first few days of low carbing, especially if you haven’t done it before, you may feel a bit rubbish – you may have headaches or just feel generally tired and achey. This is known as ‘carb flu’ – and it means that you are withdrawing from carbohydrates. Sugar (which is essentially how the body views and uses carbs) is highly addictive, and your body will be craving it. Don’t give in! After a couple of days you will feel much better.

If you are feeling odd or ill, make sure that you are getting plenty of sodium, potassium and magnesium. Add salt to your food and cook with salt. Try making a drink from Marmite/Bovril. Good foods to include in your diet are spinach, salmon and avocado. Drink plenty of water and make sure that you really are keeping your fat levels up. Take some paracetamol if you have a headache (not aspirin or ibuprofen as these drugs can impede weight loss).

Badvoc Tue 07-May-13 16:15:15

Thank you

CrystalTits Tue 07-May-13 16:14:25

Badvoc, Willie has posted the link slightly up thread...

Badvoc Tue 07-May-13 15:09:11

Sorry, I can't see a link...

Bessie123 Tue 07-May-13 15:04:03

We are all on the week 2 thread (link below). Come and join us...

Badvoc Tue 07-May-13 12:21:30

Think I need to sign up again smile
Lost a stone last summer and would like to lose another this summer.
I find low carb eating hard I have to be honest, but it's worth it.
And I feel so much better too.
My dh lost nearly 2 stone last summer and has kept it off too!

SummerBook Tue 07-May-13 12:18:30

Signed up to Mumsnet today just to join Bootcamp. Feel more shy online than in real life! Weird. A week late but I hope to get with it.

Have hardly been able to walk for last year so got to watch what I eat as I get mobile again. Stone to lose.

Amazing resources BIWI, and a feeling of having found good company as I try and get my act together.

rubyrubyruby Tue 07-May-13 10:24:50

I've added myself to spreadsheet and put my start date as today - is that ok?

Hadn't weighed myself for months and was pleasantly surprised tbh grin I will move onto the other thread although this is my week 1 of course.

I need to shop ..........

BIWI Tue 07-May-13 08:16:35

Of course you can, Blogging! But click on the link that Willie posted to join the latest chat thread.

Attackofthefiftyfootwoman Tue 07-May-13 08:14:36

H all 5lbs for me on wk 1 happy with that !

Think I am getting the hang of it all now too which is good.

Can I still join?

BIWI Tue 07-May-13 08:08:15

Dear - doesn't look like you're eating much there.

A couple of points:

- how much fat are you eating?
- try and avoid having bacon and ham in the same day - both are processed meats
- not much water!

But move over to the week 2 chat thread!

tiggyhop Tue 07-May-13 01:54:26

The spreadsheet is very clever! I love the bootcamp rules too. I'm in! Hi everyone

Deearnamaternitynurse Tue 07-May-13 01:16:11

Awww thanks to all for replying- could someone take a look at this i am on the right track? am i eating enoigh?

B 3 bacon 1 tomato

l chicken,boiled egg,lettuce ,cucumber,tomato,onion and may

d. Ham tommato,cress and mayo

4 cups of tea and 3 glasses of water

sweet tooth kicking in still

NoCarbsBeforeBarbs Mon 06-May-13 18:56:02

2lb for me, which I am ok with as we had a pre-arranged weekend involving some off plan food (plus my monthly!), so this week started at 9am today and WILL have a big loss next Mon I am sure!

BlackAffronted Mon 06-May-13 18:25:57

Most of us have moved over to the week 2 thread smile

RaspberrySchnapps Mon 06-May-13 18:20:21

wow this thread moves fast. only been away a few days. 5lbs off after 1st week, I was quite nervous getting on the scales, very surprised and pleased. Looking forward to this week, all positive after today's result.

Doshusallie Mon 06-May-13 17:41:07

In fact all weight loss on this first week has been very impressive. I am maintaining at 9 2 but hoping to drop a couple of pounds this week but strictly boot camping as need to wear a VERY unforgiving dress next Saturday night....

Doshusallie Mon 06-May-13 17:39:56

Chocolate well done that is very good.

Doshusallie Mon 06-May-13 17:39:41

2 boiled eggs with salt for brekkie
2 burgers and a sausage wrapped in lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms and mayo from the BBQ on the beach for lunch
Another sausage wrapped in lettuce for snack
Roast chicken with salad for tea.

Decaf coffee black, decaf tea, water water water.

ChocolatePiglet Mon 06-May-13 16:54:31

I'm so chuffed I've list 7lbs.....7lbs!!! I've never lost that much before on a diet!! What's more it's been really enjoyable and, dare I say it, easy!! Thank you so, so much, looking forward to the next 7 days. grin

twinklestar2 Mon 06-May-13 11:49:44

4lbs down so 10st 10 smile

CrystalTits Mon 06-May-13 11:32:01

3lbs down this week, to add to the 2lbs lost the week before Bootcamp started, so I'm pretty pleased and ready for week 2. Still waiting for the eagle to land though (to use a euphemism from a previous Bootcamp thread!), which hopefully will kickstart next week's loss!

Thanks so much everyone for the support in this thread and keep up all the great work, you guys are inspiring me. thanks

herecomesthsun Mon 06-May-13 11:15:42

I am in a vaguely similar position to PennyHofstadter - down from 81kg to 77kg today. However, I had been running at around 78kg since the end of the last Bootcamp and had allowed myself to be rather indulgent the week or 2 before starting this one - especially with my birthday being the day before we started! (we went to a lovely Italian restaurant and shared huge yummy puddings for my birthday tea, amongst other things.) I am still very pleased! I make it that I have lost 26.4 lb since my initial efforts at low carbing 6 months ago, this is largely without added exercise, except running around after 2 children under 5.

I do think I should be drinking more water. There is a slight issue in that any vessels containing large amounts of water in our house are liable to get knocked over. I knock back fizzy water at work, but when I come home I usually end up straightaway with the kids being crawled over. DH is a SAHD and at some stage I do get handed a plate of food, usually in the living room with a small, happy child asleep on my lap. I am very grateful for getting supper, but getting all the litres of fluid I am supposed to have is a further logistical challenge that doesn't always quite happen...

WhyIRayLiotta Mon 06-May-13 11:13:51

I've lost 3lbs. and I was pretty good this weekend - no booze! some Ben & Jerry's Ice cream though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now