Week 1 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp starts here!

(798 Posts)
BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 10:34:01

Morning all! There are over 150 of us signed up for Bootcamp, so it’s going to be busy I think. If you haven’t already put your name on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness, here is the link so that you can add yourself:

Just add yourself to the bottom of the list and the lovely WillieWaggleDagger, our SpreadsheetMeister, will ensure that it is re-sorted to remain alphabetised. Don’t touch any of the blue columns!
We work in pounds, but if you are a metric person, there’s a tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet that says ‘conversion’ which will recalculate from metric to imperial.

It’s up to you whether you choose to enter your actual weight or to index it, i.e. you start today at 100, and for every pound you lose you drop by 1.

You will also see on the tabs on the spreadsheet the rules for Bootcamp, as well as rules for those of you who are vegetarian, and rules for Bootcamp Light, which you can move on to after two weeks of Bootcamp.

There are only 10 rules, and the thinking behind Bootcamp is that it should be as straightforward as possible to follow. If you follow the rules (yes, all of them – and especially no 7!), you will lose weight.

The idea behind Bootcamp is that we have a strict fortnight of low carbing, to break the addiction that we have to carbs and sweet things. You are making sure that you are switching your body from burning carbs to burning fat, and you will go into what is called ketosis in these first two weeks.

All that this means is that you are fat-burning.

In the first few days of low carbing, especially if you haven’t done it before, you may feel a bit rubbish – you may have headaches or just feel generally tired and achey. This is known as ‘carb flu’ – and it means that you are withdrawing from carbohydrates. Sugar (which is essentially how the body views and uses carbs) is highly addictive, and your body will be craving it. Don’t give in! After a couple of days you will feel much better.

If you are feeling odd or ill, make sure that you are getting plenty of sodium, potassium and magnesium. Add salt to your food and cook with salt. Try making a drink from Marmite/Bovril. Good foods to include in your diet are spinach, salmon and avocado. Drink plenty of water and make sure that you really are keeping your fat levels up. Take some paracetamol if you have a headache (not aspirin or ibuprofen as these drugs can impede weight loss).

BobblyGussets Mon 29-Apr-13 12:05:15

Hi, I haven't signed in yet, or dared weigh myself, but I have been having a look at the spreadsheet and can't see the "Allowed foods list". I can see everything else. Any ideas please confused

BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 12:12:48

NO NUTS OR BERRIES ON BOOTCAMP!

cathyandclaire those mini frittata's sound amazing...is there a recipe?

barleywood Mon 29-Apr-13 12:18:11

Uh oh.....BIWI's using uppercase grin

LavenderBriggs Mon 29-Apr-13 12:27:21

I'm here for maintenance - I lost 10lbs in last bootcamp and want to drop another couple.

I had a major binge over the weekend (mango!, pomegranate in my celeriac cous cous!) and now I'm ready to jump back into line.

Good luck to all of the new starters thanks

Morning all. Have added myself with today's weight which is 4lbs less than I was on Wednesday!

I can't get the list of allowed foods either - it's there but no info on it.

And can I ask what ubercamp is?

Breakfast was some ham (I checked and it hasn't got sugar), some smoked salmon and cream cheese and a dollop of egg mayonnaise. Lunch will be a pile of rocket, Parma ham and mozarrella and avocado and some dressing. Is balsamic a real no-no? I love it. And am sure I used it when doing Atkins before.

Dinner will be BBQ - steak and salad.

I have noticed my appetite has decreased. Had to leave lots of last nights dinner.

I'm eating quite a lot of cheese but do I remember seeing somewhere that I shouldn't eat too much of it?

ChocolatePiglet Mon 29-Apr-13 12:31:01

I've been so excited and apprehensive about starting Bootcamp.
I've got to make this work, so fed up of diets falling by the wayside after a couple of weeks (due to my own lack of willpower, obviously!) Really looking forward to having some support from all the fellow Bootcampers!

Peppermint tea and 1.5l water drunk so far.
B Omelette with mushrooms
L Tuna mayo salad
D Think it'll be Chicken wrapped in parma ham with green veg with butter
Actually sounds quite yummy.....Can't believe this will help me lose weight!

Hello all! So pleased to be on this bootcamp as I really enjoyed the last one. Have been busy busy this morning until now so have just sat down to check in and have a coffee!

Havent been able to enter my weight yet as still need a set of scales, should hopefully have some later so will weigh tomorrow...

Having a good day so far - shred dvd, lots of walking, eggs for breakfast and prawn salad for lunch. Fish and veg for tea tonight.

Yay bootcamp! grin

middleagedspread Mon 29-Apr-13 12:46:50

Eeek, I've had my first telling off.
Berries AND nuts.
Sorry Miss, I didn't do my homework blush

DramaAndCrisis Mon 29-Apr-13 12:53:55

Afternoon all. Started this morning with yoghurt for breakfast and gallons of water. Also cutting back on the caffeine (hello headache) and looking forward to chilli in lettuce wraps for lunch. Scales already moving in the right direction after pulling bread / grains out of my diet from Saturday and moving away from the 'fuelled by caffeine and sugar' paradigm.

This time it will work! [but I miss cake. Sob].

warzonemummy Mon 29-Apr-13 12:55:14

I started low carbing two days ago so I am on day 3 (first two days had a little lapse each day - cereal he first day and tiny bits of potato in my curry the second). I see today as my real start day. I had:

B: 2 boiled eggs with salad - I know no fat sad
L: Tuna mayo with feta cheese and salad
D: is going to be grilled chicken with carrots and asparagus

I have had almost 2 liters of water and a cup of plain green tea so far. Oh and a Babybell cheese.

I am feeling quite light headed and weak. I think I am already missing carbs - visit to the supermarket did not help at all.

BTW, I want to get into a gorgeous dress for my BIL's wedding which is on the 27th June.

Tigglette Mon 29-Apr-13 12:55:47

I've entered my weight - I mean added my 100, I'm not quite ready to own up to my actual weight. So, meals for today:-
B: Greek yoghurt and a small piece of cheese
L: ham and eggs (I will avoid processed stuff but this was the best thing on the pub menu)
D: chicken in a creamy tarragon sauce with green veggies

So far been drinking endless water and ginger tea. Good luck everyone!

Spamspamspam Mon 29-Apr-13 12:56:38

I am in, lost 7 lbs on my own a few weeks ago but managed to put most of that back on after 2 weeks in America and not following anything since I got back.

Not a great breakfast as had too much processed meat but starting from now properly.

Francois Mon 29-Apr-13 13:00:25

I can't work out how to add my weight to sheet (on tablet not laptop not sure if that's why)
At 149 today, have put 9lbs on since February. =(

B - some pieces of chicken
L - mushroom and cheese omelette
D - roast chicken with spinach, cabbage and mushrooms

PiHigh Mon 29-Apr-13 13:08:18

I've added my weight to the spreadsheet. Dh is doing Bootcamp with me and bringing his sceptical grumpiness along for the ride

Breakfast was sliced courgettes fried in butter with scrambled egg on top. Lunch was skin-on chicken with salad and I had a bit of coleslaw too (I think it was ok to have that) <fears BIWI's Caps Lock> grin

I then realised I'd messed our evening meal up because I forgot to take stuff out of the freezer last night, so I've had to do a last minute switch round of meals. We're either having chicken with creamed leeks and veg or bolognese served on fried mushrooms.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 29-Apr-13 13:09:47

Failed at the first hurdle blush

Graze box came today and I'm feeling rubbish and spotty and itchy and and and...

No excuse really blushblush

Graze ceremoniously cancelled for the time being.

CrystalTits Mon 29-Apr-13 13:10:12

Meals for today:
B - ham rolled with full fat Philadelphia (3 slices)
L - homemade vegetable soup, feta and olives
D - roast chicken with buttered veg

Green tea, black coffee and 1/2 litre water so far...

CarolBornAMan Mon 29-Apr-13 13:10:34

So first 5 hours gone OK even if not lost weight yet! I am trying to think over some options for breakfast that are not all egg based and I do like greek yoghurt but usually with nuts, berries and a bit of oats! Anyone any ideas what we can put on it during bootcamp - not sure chopped aubergine going to be quite right!

BIWI - I am not quite clear on dairy - do we just avoid it for the first 2 weeks or can we have something like cottage cheese now? Am guessing hard cheese is out? THANK YOU!!

lapetitedame Mon 29-Apr-13 13:30:10

Signing in....moved position of the scales on the floor before I weighed in this am - and it weighed me 4lbs heavier than any day last week - couldn't believe it!! sad So ham and eggs for breakfast + 2 coffees & cream. Lunch was tuna mayo in lettuce leaves with slice of cheddar. 1.5 litres of water so far. Have an event in a few weeks and would like my dress not to be 'snug' BUT also have a meal in v.posh restaurant at weekend - will have to Bootcamp light for the night and get back to it next morning. Good luck everyone!

caramelwaffle Mon 29-Apr-13 13:31:47

Signing in - Good afternoon all and good luck.

MaryBeardfanclub Mon 29-Apr-13 13:35:38

whoops, haven't weighed myself for a month or so - am 2.25 lbs heavier than I thought I was. Thank goodness bootcamp starts today...counting down to bikinigate, 51 days to go [gulp]

Cut out sweetener in my tea over the weekend - drank a lot less tea. It was bearable if not enjoyable. My main aim over this bootcamp is to cut out sweetener in my tea for good. And lose a few pounds. DP has joined me hooray! but doesnt want to go on the spreadsheet.

B: 2 HB eggs mashed with butter
L: roast chicken, cauliflower cheese, buttered broccoli, roast celeriac
D: bolognaise sauce on buttered cabbage with sour cream

halfthesize Mon 29-Apr-13 13:36:42

Morning all, carol you do not need to avoid dairy as long as it is low carb. Though sometimes too much can hinder weight loss just depends on your body.
cathyandclaire those frittata's are a fab idea off to make some now smile

So I have weighed in and need to loose 9lb on bootcamp followed by a further 4 and have aprox 4 weeks to achieve. Am doing daily exercise running/ squats and other things so fingers crossed it all works.

B- scrambled eggs
L- home made burger and green leaf salad
4 pints of water down so far....

PiHigh always check carb content on brought coleslaw. It can be quite high in carbs, home made is better. smile

Tortington Mon 29-Apr-13 13:39:32

bikini gate is here this week for me <huge gulp>

muchly regretting the THREE pastries and takeaway curry with rice, naan and popudoms on Friday

Gym this am
will be going Gym again this PM

6 mini tomatos, lettuce and oodles of mayo for the fat for my dinner

<prays> please god let me lose three lbs tomorrow

Tortington Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:57

B coffee
L toms, leaves and mayo
D will be chicken with something yet undecided

carbalanche Mon 29-Apr-13 13:45:15

Right here I go again. Starting off at 180 pounds/12st 12. Would like to lose a stone and a half which is going some. I usually am strict in the first week and don't allow myself any dairy apart from butter but I can't this time - I just can't!!

B: scrambled egg, 2 mini-babybels
L: 2 slices of ham, 2 boiled eggs and Delouis mayo
D: Pork belly slices, mushroom, fennel in creme fraiche sauce

I didn't pay much heed to the amounts of water I drank last time so might try and be more vigilant this time. I'm not looking forward to drinking 3 litres of water a day. I've already had a litre of herbal tea - does that not count? (she asks hopefully!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now