Week 1 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp starts here!

(798 Posts)
BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 10:34:01

Morning all! There are over 150 of us signed up for Bootcamp, so it’s going to be busy I think. If you haven’t already put your name on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness, here is the link so that you can add yourself:

Just add yourself to the bottom of the list and the lovely WillieWaggleDagger, our SpreadsheetMeister, will ensure that it is re-sorted to remain alphabetised. Don’t touch any of the blue columns!
We work in pounds, but if you are a metric person, there’s a tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet that says ‘conversion’ which will recalculate from metric to imperial.

It’s up to you whether you choose to enter your actual weight or to index it, i.e. you start today at 100, and for every pound you lose you drop by 1.

You will also see on the tabs on the spreadsheet the rules for Bootcamp, as well as rules for those of you who are vegetarian, and rules for Bootcamp Light, which you can move on to after two weeks of Bootcamp.

There are only 10 rules, and the thinking behind Bootcamp is that it should be as straightforward as possible to follow. If you follow the rules (yes, all of them – and especially no 7!), you will lose weight.

The idea behind Bootcamp is that we have a strict fortnight of low carbing, to break the addiction that we have to carbs and sweet things. You are making sure that you are switching your body from burning carbs to burning fat, and you will go into what is called ketosis in these first two weeks.

All that this means is that you are fat-burning.

In the first few days of low carbing, especially if you haven’t done it before, you may feel a bit rubbish – you may have headaches or just feel generally tired and achey. This is known as ‘carb flu’ – and it means that you are withdrawing from carbohydrates. Sugar (which is essentially how the body views and uses carbs) is highly addictive, and your body will be craving it. Don’t give in! After a couple of days you will feel much better.

If you are feeling odd or ill, make sure that you are getting plenty of sodium, potassium and magnesium. Add salt to your food and cook with salt. Try making a drink from Marmite/Bovril. Good foods to include in your diet are spinach, salmon and avocado. Drink plenty of water and make sure that you really are keeping your fat levels up. Take some paracetamol if you have a headache (not aspirin or ibuprofen as these drugs can impede weight loss).

geologygirl Tue 30-Apr-13 20:15:31

Hi all! Nice to see everyone doing so well

I felt a bit headachey earlier so had an extra coffee. Feeling good and no cravings so far ..today I had --

B - scrambled egg and spinach
L- Avocado salad
D- beef casserole and veg. All homemade and no flour to thicken etc
S - some bits of chicken breast

2 coffees and loads of water

halfthesize Tue 30-Apr-13 20:19:00

Hope you feel better soon wand

I have just had lovely dinner of chicken and mushrooms cooked in chilli garlic and cayenne and finished off with double cream, served with green beans it was yummysmile

timidviper Tue 30-Apr-13 20:27:02

I've had such a busy day at work. I wish people would stop being ill quite so often and give me and the NHS a break! I haven't managed my full amount of water as I've barely had time to breathe but that is because I am larger and should drink more than most, I've had a couple of litres.

So I had an omelette with the last of the pulled pork for breakfast, homemade courgette soup with avocado and prawns in mayo for lunch then a chicken and vegetable curry with cauliflower rice for tea.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Apr-13 20:29:10

Christ at the lime and lemon carb count, I use an awful lot of it and just assumed it was negligible.

Hi everyone.

L - prawn and avocado salad
D - - home made cheeseburgers with salad
Greek yog and vanilla powder.

WandOfElderNeverProsper Tue 30-Apr-13 20:36:06

Thank you halfthesize

getorf I know, right? And I think I read somewhere garlic is 1g carb per clove, I can easily do a whole bulb in a sitting! Sneaky carb buggers!

AngieAir Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:31

Today's food

B: egg & bacon fried in lard, coffee & cream
L: mozzarella with salad leaves & 1 teensy tiny tomato, posh olive oil & red wine vinegar
D: duck breast with skin on, cauliflower cheese
Random snack: some mince

Lots of water.

But my friends keep texting me about cake!

CrystalTits Tue 30-Apr-13 20:44:57

Busy day at work here too today but I've managed to stuff down:

B: small cube feta, 5 feta stuffed olives, spoonful FF Total greek yog
L: poached salmon and avocado with salad leaves and mayo
D: bolognese mince in lettuce boats with grated cheese

3 coffees (1 with cream), 2 litres water

Been LCing since Thurs and today my skin looks less dry, puffy and pale or it may just be extra makeup

Wand- oh no hope you feel better soon.
I might steer clear of dairy if its a d and v bug. Maybe just something you can keep down. Once you have been low carbing a while it doesn't take as long to get back in ketosis

newlark Tue 30-Apr-13 21:03:49

Waitrose have some useful low carb snacks - not exactly cheap but I found mini pots of olives with manchego and they also had pots of mini chorizo (didn't look at the carb count as I'm veggie). M&S do a seed & nut mix flavoured with Soy sauce 6.1g carbs per 100g - not too bad in moderation if you are veggie. I've also been taking mini baby bel out as snacks.

Pork scratchings are good low carb quick snack

Doshusallie Tue 30-Apr-13 21:33:47

I have a pkt of pork scratchings every day I love 'em. Sainsbos do the hog roast pork cracklings ones they are lush.

decaffwithcream Tue 30-Apr-13 21:34:22

I know it's a bit processed but for an instant snack I put one babybel in the microwave to make a large cheese crisp.

(didn't work with the purple ones, only the red).

I started low-carbing a week ago and was v surprised to realise i had had no PMT this week. Does avoiding the sugar swings with this WOE help with PMT?

Hope you feel better soon wand

ewan do you take a particular supplement? Intrigued by chromium as my sugar addiction is still not banished... And I like the idea of a salad ideas swap, i am struggling for lunches as colleagues v grumpy about my near daily choice of smelly egg mayo grin

Made a fab supper tonight... An omelette with spinach, leek, shallot, feta and finished off with a good topping of cheddar... Sort of spanikoppita with no pastry! Enough left for lunch tomorrow... Double yum!

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Apr-13 21:50:39

I managed to find some low carb snacks at Paddington station (always a weak point) - M&S do these little snack packs of prawns with dip and chicken with some dip. I bought those and 3 snack sizes of cheese. Cost a bloody FORTUNE but staved off the hunger.

That's all I have eaten all bloody day, just got in and can't be arsed to cook chops.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Apr-13 21:51:35

Macadamia nuts are the best snack ever, but they cost a lot of money for what you get. Sainsburys used to sell snack packs for a quid but now just sell larger packs.

BIWI Tue 30-Apr-13 22:02:24

decaff - lots of people do report that low carbing helps with PMT! Just one of the other benefits ... smile

angieair best random snack ever!

decafwithcream YES to this woe banishing my PMT - it is fab!

thekitchenfairy salad ideas: egg mayo, tuna mayo, some salami torn up, cheeses, olives, any leftover meat (with mayo if dry), salmon, smoked salmon trimmings (cheaper and already torn up!), prawn and avocado, grilled goats cheese with roasted pine nuts (my favourite). I always have lettuce (but different types), cucumber as my base. I make a little dressing with olive oil and cider vinegar.

Ruprekt Tue 30-Apr-13 22:06:37

Good day today. smilesmile

B 2 eggs, bacon and mushrooms

L celeriac soup

D pan fried pork fillet with sauteed spinach

S babybel

Water, coffee, tea, peppermint tea

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Apr-13 22:07:16

Espresso con panna in Caffe Nero is a great treat - you get half a tonne of whipped cream. It's great.

That spanikoppita sounds wonderful.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Apr-13 22:08:03

I have forgotten about the guilty joy of goat cheese minibaby bels and marmite cheeses. Need to get some tomorrow.

For salads I can't recommend this enough. You can get them from lots of places, in different colours or clear. It has a ice bl

Block that goes in the top, knife and fork and a little
Pot for your dressing!

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Apr-13 22:10:31

What a brilliant idea hercule.

sammisatt Tue 30-Apr-13 23:12:34

Day 2 check in:

B: mushrooms, bacon, 2 eggs
L: roast lamb, left over braised cabbage
S: pâté and olives
D: invited to a birthday party so ate pork scratchings and ham beforehand then picked on olives, chorizo, a small piece of cheese and then... One and a half glasses of red wine. Not ideal and will probably delay ketosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now