Week 1 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp starts here!

(798 Posts)
BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 10:34:01

Morning all! There are over 150 of us signed up for Bootcamp, so it’s going to be busy I think. If you haven’t already put your name on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness, here is the link so that you can add yourself:

Just add yourself to the bottom of the list and the lovely WillieWaggleDagger, our SpreadsheetMeister, will ensure that it is re-sorted to remain alphabetised. Don’t touch any of the blue columns!
We work in pounds, but if you are a metric person, there’s a tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet that says ‘conversion’ which will recalculate from metric to imperial.

It’s up to you whether you choose to enter your actual weight or to index it, i.e. you start today at 100, and for every pound you lose you drop by 1.

You will also see on the tabs on the spreadsheet the rules for Bootcamp, as well as rules for those of you who are vegetarian, and rules for Bootcamp Light, which you can move on to after two weeks of Bootcamp.

There are only 10 rules, and the thinking behind Bootcamp is that it should be as straightforward as possible to follow. If you follow the rules (yes, all of them – and especially no 7!), you will lose weight.

The idea behind Bootcamp is that we have a strict fortnight of low carbing, to break the addiction that we have to carbs and sweet things. You are making sure that you are switching your body from burning carbs to burning fat, and you will go into what is called ketosis in these first two weeks.

All that this means is that you are fat-burning.

In the first few days of low carbing, especially if you haven’t done it before, you may feel a bit rubbish – you may have headaches or just feel generally tired and achey. This is known as ‘carb flu’ – and it means that you are withdrawing from carbohydrates. Sugar (which is essentially how the body views and uses carbs) is highly addictive, and your body will be craving it. Don’t give in! After a couple of days you will feel much better.

If you are feeling odd or ill, make sure that you are getting plenty of sodium, potassium and magnesium. Add salt to your food and cook with salt. Try making a drink from Marmite/Bovril. Good foods to include in your diet are spinach, salmon and avocado. Drink plenty of water and make sure that you really are keeping your fat levels up. Take some paracetamol if you have a headache (not aspirin or ibuprofen as these drugs can impede weight loss).

Shh for Gods sake you'll have the klaxons going Doshie!!

For those newbies who are wondering whether LC is the way for them I can honestly say it is the best thing that ever happened to me.
I lost 2 stone last year on first Bootcamp and have maintained since then mainly through alcohol!!
However my mental health as well as rosacea has improved dramatically and I'm back to being me again.

Keep posting daily and we WILL get you through

Ps has anyone linked to the wonderful recipe section on MN yet?

ecuse Mon 29-Apr-13 15:59:39

prettybird I am really into eating chilli on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce. It's really fresh and crunchy and satisfying. Especially with lots of grated cheese on top smile

ecuse Mon 29-Apr-13 16:02:07

Oh yes:
B: greek yog, vanilla extract and a handful of blueberries
L: Pret chicken salad (8.1g carbs - a good choice if you're too disorganised to make lunch at home and bring it to work!)
D: moroccan spiced pork mince stuffed in courgette 'boats'

BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 16:14:26

Afternoon all.

Here is the wonderful recipe thread

There are loads of recipes here that will hopefully inspire you. Please feel free to add to it, if there's something you love to cook or something that you discover that is low carb.

twinklestar2 even without the potatoes, I think the tomatoes in that recipe would make it too high in carbs

I'm going to set up a separate thread for questions, as there are so many to deal with. Hang on ...

BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 16:19:06
BerylStreep Mon 29-Apr-13 16:53:55

I have ketones! I have been bootcamp / bootcamp light for the last 5 weeks. Looking forward to Bootcamp proper. smile

Laubea Mon 29-Apr-13 17:03:28

I am all signed up and looking forward to it! Been losing and regaining the same 10 1b for the last 3 years. The only fly in the ointment is that in 3 weeks I go on holiday and it's going to be a bit of a challenge to say the least.....

AuntieMaggie Mon 29-Apr-13 17:06:32

Hello ladies smile

Still in a shitty mood and today its led to me getting cross about how easy it is to eat of you don't have to watch your weight and eat carbs and how much easier it would be for me when I work away if I could just eat fast food like other colleagues do.

However picked up mussels from the supermarket for dinner - yummy!

Yogurt and berries for breakfast, cheese, pate and salad for lunch. So far so good smile

Good luck ladies smile

AuntieMaggie Mon 29-Apr-13 17:10:27

Argh can't enter my weight on the spreadsheet for some reason - can someone please enter 100 for me? TIA

Hi everyone - on a train at the moment and the spreadsheet is a PiTA on an iPhone (sorry about that) so I am just marking my place for any spreadsheet queries up thread for when I get home

cnicholls Mon 29-Apr-13 17:19:53

Good luck everyone. I started my day with a hard boiled egg and mayo. I must drink more though.

I have unsweetened soya milk in me tea, I take it this is ok as it's not very carby.

twinklestar2 Mon 29-Apr-13 17:26:50

Thanks for the answers to my questions :D

Perhaps I could have that Jamie dinner with other veg rather than the tomatoes.

twinklestar2 Mon 29-Apr-13 17:28:39

mmmm this would be nice and ok if you didnt have the spuds? www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pork_chops_with_creamy_89768

BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 17:33:22

Incidentally, if you don't know much about low carbing it is really worth getting your head around the thinking behind it.

As a starter, have a read of some of the stuff I wrote here

BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 17:34:44

twinklestar2, that recipe is perfect. Why not try using celeriac instead of potato? I think that would work really well.

sybilfaulty Mon 29-Apr-13 17:48:22

Adding myself to the thread. Will add weight to spreadsheet once on pc later on. Half a atone on. Yuck! That'll teach me!

EwanHoozami Mon 29-Apr-13 18:09:53

And twinkle if you like the cream and cabbage combo you'd love the much-trumpeted braised cabbage recipe. It's in the Resources tab on the spreadsheet. Oh, it is heaven

PS upthread I said that I was cutting down on cheese confused Clearly that is crazytalk, I meant to say tomatoes. Cheese is my friend.

Phew EwanHoozami - was worried there for a minute!
Although tbh I could do with cutting down a bit.

B- Greek yoghurt
L lettuce cucumber and peppers with cheese and chive dip plus chicken tikka.
D- out for our anniversary but will have mushrooms to start and a yummy steak with green beans

There may be wine but then that's me

Laurelandhearty Mon 29-Apr-13 18:14:54

Please could someone add my starting weight, 134lbs, my technical skills have failed me. Thank you.

I have a headache from hell already, my body is aching for carbs sad

rubybricks Mon 29-Apr-13 18:31:50

justasmallgless thank you, that's just so inspiring! well done, it just makes me more determined to really try this and stick to it - thanks again, and of course to BIWI for doing this and all the other long-term LCers for being so positive - it just seems so...<whispers> wrong to be frying stuff when you want to lose weight...

off to the questions thread now with my many questions...

rubybricks Mon 29-Apr-13 18:33:09

(your post at 15:59 i mean) justasmallgless

sammisatt Mon 29-Apr-13 18:36:16

Checking in.

B: 2 black farmer sausages 1 egg fried in coconut oil
L: half an avocado, 2 hard boiled eggs, slice of ham, watercress, mayo
Snack: pâté and olives
D: 2 chicken thighs, braised cabbage

Over and out.

Ruby bricks, I'm rushing tonight but will post properly tomorrow but I meant to say I have another stone to lose but have maintained rather than lost due to continuing to drink alcohol!

Laurelandhearty, take some paracetamol and drink water

PiHigh Mon 29-Apr-13 18:47:13

Argh, I am so fecking stupid. Firstly I forgot to take stuff out of the freezer so had to change meals around (I meal planned for the shopping). Then I realised I'd forgotten to order the frozen cauli for the curried cauli soup for tomorrow and Weds lunches. So instead I've made a batch of veg soup but chucked in some frozen veg I had too and then realised it was higher in carbs than I thought. sadangry

And it's all just making me crave a huge stick of crusty bread with tons of butter blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now