Exercising every day - the Shred etc.

(7 Posts)
Plathism Mon 22-Apr-13 16:58:28

Do people think it's a good idea to do hard exercise every day, or is it better to have a rest day and do it every other day? I am not trying to lose weight, no particular fitness goal (apart from getting fitter!) I'm just wondering if it's better for joints and muscle recovery to have that rest day, or if I'm just being lazy grin

I think it's good to rest teh various joints and muscles, so I'd avoid doing the SAME THING every day. But you can certainly have a leg day, followed by a cardio day, followed by an arms day, etc

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 16:03:34

Ah! Thanks Melanie that makes sense - rest the sore bits and exercise the other bits instead. I'm pretty new to this getting fit stuff but am feeling so much more energetic now I'm getting into it smile

snoworneahva Tue 23-Apr-13 17:09:39

Also if you're pretty new to exercise then you need to have more rest days than so done who has been exercising regularly. Rest doesn't mean sitting on our butt all day, keep moving - walking or swimming are usually pretty good "rest day" activities. Also if you have a niggle, be very careful it doesn't turn into an injury, rest and see if it goes quickly.

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 17:25:31

Thanks snow, yes I do plenty of walking everyday. I'm guessing when I get more used to hard exercise I won't get the delayed onset aching muscles so badly and will be able to do it more often.

snoworneahva Tue 23-Apr-13 17:31:00

When running you increase your time or distance by 10% a week at most - build up gradually. Your body will get used to doing one particular exercise but shake it up a bit, you should still ache occasionally, it suggests you are still working hard!

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 17:39:08

Cool, will do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now