Running....well jogging. How to progress?

(10 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Tue 23-Apr-13 14:32:17

I agree with pp that 4x a week may be too much. Maybe 3x or 7x a fortnight might be better. Over training is the easy way to injury!

YY to hills/speed one day, and one scheduled longer run. Also, at least once a fortnight, just run for the love of running. Lear your watch at home, don't worry about time or distance, just enjoy it!

You may rendition on doing something completely different too - swimming, weights, Pilates? Different types of training can be very beneficial.

Running is all about cumulative development. They only way to run faster, is to run faster, and the only way to run further, is to run further!

Congrats on the great start and continue to enjoy it!

MamaBear17 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:21:13

Thank you for all of the advice, I am so motivated now, I have even treated myself to a pair of running shoes!

Pinkglow Mon 22-Apr-13 16:31:00

I'm in a similar position, I've signed up for a hilly 10k in June and my goal is to run this one without stopping like I normally do.

I run three times a week and do a threshold run, started at just 1k and building up to 4k - Ive now changed this run to a hill run at around 4k

Second run was a 'see how I feel run' building up to 5k before changing it to a fartlek run so I change my speed throughout.

Third run is my long run which I did yesterday and was 7k. This is meant to be done at an easy pace but my easy pace is getting quicker and I feel quite strong on these runs.

I also do a spinning class and a Jillian Michaels DVD for core work. I actually feel for the first time ever like I could one day do a half marathon. Good luck!

SingingSands Mon 22-Apr-13 16:10:08

I think most 10k training regimes recommend 2 short runs during the week with a longer one at the weekend. Four times a week sounds like a lot, it would be a shame to burn out quickly. However, if you are enjoying yourself and it doesn't feel like a chore then keep it up!

I'm running a 10k in August (just the normal sort, no obstacles!) and it's good to have a goal to work towards, I find having a date to count down to is a great motivator.

Belugagrad Mon 22-Apr-13 15:54:15

Food wise work out what works for you so you know for race day. My magic running food is alpen. I love it and I eat it before most runs.

Belugagrad Mon 22-Apr-13 15:52:29

Well done! For signing up to a race and getting out there!

I would have one day where you do speed work (sprint to lampost) jog slowly and repeat.

Switch up your route to include hills and also this
Ensures you don't get bored.

Have 'rest jogs' where you're just chilling and enjoying it but on other days ask yourself 'is this the best I can do?' and push it. Just like you did adding on to your route with your 2nd run.

Good luck!

MamaBear17 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:38:10

Thank you! Really appreciate the support and advice x

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 22-Apr-13 08:56:57

Wow MamaBear, I'm impressed, I think Visualise's advice is great, but you are doing pretty well for a start off!

My OH times himself - his goal is to get his run (not sure how long it is) down to 14 minutes. Once he can do it in 14 minutes, he'll add another .5 of a mile to it.

If I were you and had limited time to run - rather than run round a block, I would run for 15 minutes, then turn back on myself and run 15 minutes back...does that make sense? That way, you should be able to see how far you are running in 15 minutes.

MamaBear17 Mon 22-Apr-13 07:48:40

I have signed myself up for a 10k obstacle course type thing at the end of June. (I had a 'OMG, im 30 this year, I should do something momentous' moment.) I haven't done any proper exercise (other than pushing a pram) since I got pregnant about three years ago. I used to go to the gym pre-baby but after having my daughter 20 months ago I just haven't found the time (or the inclination) to go. I've never been particularly athletic or sporty so when I told my hubby/friends/family about the 10k challenge EVERYONE laughed. So, I really am determined to do it, and do it well.

I went for my first jog/run on Saturday. I ran for about 15 minutes and honestly thought my lungs were going to explode. I plotted a circuit around my area and did not stop, even though I felt like I was going to die. I was pleased that I managed to keep going and not stop, even though it dawned on me just how unfit I am. My legs and tummy muscles ached all day yesterday. However, this morning I went for my second run and it was so much easier. I ran for 26 minutes without stopping, adding an extra loop on to my circuit because I felt like I could. I even sprinted for the last street before I got home. I know seasoned runners and fit people will probably think 26 minutes is laughable, and I admit I didn't go particularly fast (but it was faster than walking!) but, I am pleasantly surprised that I as not as useless as I feared I would be (and as everyone expects me to be) In fact, I am really proud of myself and feel so motivated to keep it up and push myself.

Does anyone have any tips for improving my runs going forward? I will be running 4 times a week, and, due to work/DD I have to go first thing in the morning in order to fit it in. On two days I will have up to an hour to be able to run, but on the other days I will have a maximum of 40 minutes to get out and back in order to get ready for work. I would also appreciate advice on nutrition (I am already a healthy weight so looking at health rather than weight loss) or other exercises that will complement the running.

Thanks in advance x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now