I am disgusted with myself. 14 stone 6lb. Need to get healthy

(33 Posts)
doublecakeplease Sun 21-Apr-13 20:28:45

Got weighed at the doctors. I have high bp and newly diagnosed lymphodoema which i know will both improve if i lose weight.

I have a disgusting belly even though DS is 15 months old. I WILL shift it. I don't want to be stick thin - but i would like to be back to size 12.

Thought if i wrote it down and popped back with updates for myself it might help...

BikeRunSki Tue 07-May-13 12:32:50

Double, I weighed 15 stone a year ago, DD was 6 months old. I worked through the Couch to 5 k and lost half a stone. On September many things happened that made me realise that this was better, but not good enough and I joined Slimming World. Got to target 11st 12 in January and been there ever since. I found it very straightforward, mostly about portion size, low fat everything, v limited sugary stuff and bulking up meals with fruit a d veg.

arabesque Tue 07-May-13 12:23:09

I agree with Chandon. Eating tiny meals and half starving yourself is not sustainable and even if you lose weight it will go straight back on again as soon as you go back to eating normally.
You'd be better off to just try eating more healthily:

Have a proper breakfast that will keep you going to lunchtime and help you avoid the temptation to scoff a danish or a scone at 11am.

Avoid shop bought sandwiches and baguettes as they are full of calories and salt

Use lower calorie or healthier substitutes for food you like eg turkey mince in bolognaise; low fat creme fraiche in creamy sauces; wholegrain bread and pasta

Have a bag of maltesers after your dinner if you're craving something sweet. They are much much lower in calories than a slice of cake or a few biscuits.

Keep rice cakes and crackers handy and have a couple if you get hungry between meals.

I know none of the above is new or ground breaking advice but seriously, you are much more likely to still be eating healthily in a few weeks by making those kind of adjustments than by setting yourself a really strict regime that will drive you up the walls and have you running to the chippers by Friday.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 25-Apr-13 15:05:25

Good for you for getting started! I went from 12 1/2 stone to 9 1/2 stone a few years ago, and have kept most of it off - 10lbs has crept on over the winter and I'm on My Fitness Pal trying to lose it.

I agree with much of what is said upthread, but want to add my 2p worth:

When something is called "low fat" it means "chemical shit storm". Ditch the low fat nonsense and have less of the natural, unprocessed stuff - whether that's a bit of mayo, or a yoghurt (calorie difference is tiny and the full fat ones fill you up for longer), just be sensible with the portions.

Make sure you have some protein at each meal - it's the most sating of the macronutrients so will help you feel full for longer.

It looks like you've panicked a bit and gone on a "diet" rather than thinking about how much, and what, you're eating. I'd wager that you're not eating enough at the moment and you're setting yourself up to fail. Try working out your body's BMR (google it) and aiming to have that many calories daily.

Weigh everything so you know what a portion is - it's amazing how small they look when you start dieting and how horrified you are at restaurant portions once you've lost a bit of weight. This was the big way we lost weight.

BBC Good Food has some great healthy recipes which come in as low calorie or low fat and are quick and cheap to make. DH and I live off them. Have a play on the website and set yourself up with a few easy, healthy meals that you like so you don't have to think too much about suppers. There's some stuff that feels really stodgy and comforting but is actually low calorie. I love that site!

Good luck, and if you join MFP you can "friend" me on there for some support if you like - I'm HannahT78

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 14:20:35

"Nothing wrong with eating ham. Nothing wrong with mayo"

Quite a bit wrong, when you are dieting. They are both high-fat and not that beneficial for the body.

When you are on a calorie restriction diet, you want to make sure your body gets what it needs within the calories you give it. That means greasy crap like mayonnaise that is 90 kCal for a levelled tablespoon is out, and good stuff like olive oil is in.

As you say elsewhere, it is about changing eating habits rather than crash dieting for a short period of time. My advice to OP is to change the habit of expecting/needing/wanting mayonnaise on her salads in favor of small amounts of olive oil. I say that as someone who lost heaps of weight 3 years ago and kept it off.

Fluer Wed 24-Apr-13 18:37:24

That Chandon is the best advice ever and I totally agree with you. People who are slim naturally do not diet. In fact when someone who is naturally slim goes on a diet that's usually when the problems start as they lose touch with their naturally hunger signals.

Chandon Wed 24-Apr-13 07:39:25

Agree fluer, but people like a quick fix solution.

Slim people would eat pasta bolognaise, just not stuff themselves with it, and have salad wth it rather than garlic bread.

Sorry but eating just salad for lunch and a banana for breakfast is not going to be sustainable long term, so how are you planning to eat when you "go back to normal"?

Not being negative, you CAN lose weight if you like, but be wary of a diet that you cannot stick to, I have seen that too many times.

Maybe asking weight loss advice from other dieters is not such a good idea after all, maybe ask people who are a healthy weight how they eat?

Fluer Tue 23-Apr-13 23:41:47

Nothing wrong with eating ham. Nothing wrong with mayo....in fact the light one is just full of rubbish so your better off eating a little bit of real mayonnaise. I eat lasagne and bolognaise for meals with a salad and real mayo. Diet foods are not good for you as they contain additives and sweetners (which are really bad for the body) . I don't diet, diets do not work. Might work for a short while but not many people stick to them for ever. Eating consciously and eating whatever you want, eating only when your truly hungry but stopping when your full is the key to being slim. In fact, its the way slim people eat. Its dieters that have problems and issues with yo yoing.

CoteDAzur Tue 23-Apr-13 14:57:46

Good for you smile

If you don't mind a few comments:
- Forget ham. Eat fish, meat, and chicken
- Forget mayonnaise, even low fat ones. Put a little bit of olive oil on your salad (~ 1 spoon)
- Careful with how much pasta and potatoes you eat. You really shouldn't be eating pasta bolognaise as your main dish.
- Don't forget your fruits (different ones)

doublecakeplease Tue 23-Apr-13 12:13:12

I'm back - thanks so much for all the fab advice smile

Yesterday was a bit of a silly start as I was unprepared and disorganised but I'm really determined and didn't want to not start when I'm in the mood and put off (yet again) for another week.

I had an orange and then a small pasta bolognaise for tea. I also had lots more water and tbh felt better for not drinking gallons of coffee like I usually do!

Tuesday:
Breakfast = banana and a low fat yoghurt
Lunch is a massive salad with lettuce, beetroot, sweetcorn etc plus a boiled egg and some ham. I've also got a tiny bit of low fat mayo so it's not all dry. MUCH better and more satisfying than yeterday!
Dinner will be chicken breast with some small boiled potatoes and lots of veg

My water bottle is also topped up (which is a pain in the arse as I have a funeral to go to this afternoon - my smart trousers are a little bit tight (size 16) so I'm wearing my holdy in fat suit. Mot ideal when running to the loo more often ;)

Thanks again everyone - I WILL get back into the lovely size 12 jeans I've rescued from the charity bag x

Chandon Tue 23-Apr-13 08:27:12

Well, eating obly onebreakfast biscuit, and undressed salad...basically you will be starving yourself, and you won't be able to sustain that. I have a friend who starts a diet every single day, vowing to
Ve of thin air and lettuce. And every day at 6 pm she eats a whole packet of biscuits. It aways starts with one biscuit as she is keeling over... This is normal to her now, but every day she starts again to atone for the biscuits. Your diet plan reminds me a bit of that.

If you starve yourself you will lose weight, but you will also feel crappy and shaky and likely won't last. The advice of eating some protein and carbs and then forget about food ( you really do not have to eat every 2 hours) sounded good.

CoteDAzur Tue 23-Apr-13 08:14:25

"you retain water if you don't drink enough thus making you appear heavier"

That is not quite what happens.

If you drink very little water, the body will of course retain some of its water (rather than pee it away) so that it will not be dehydrated. The amount of water in the body will not increase and you will not be/appear heavier. It's just that your pee will be darker for a while.

In the reverse case, you believe that you need to drink many more bottles of water to lose weight, for example. You drink lots of water, and your body pees lots of it away. The amount of water left in the water still does not increase or decrease and you do not appear heavier or lighter.

If you drink lots of water you might feel fuller, I suppose, and eat less but that's the only benefit I can think of.

Otherwise, drink water when you are thirsty. Your body has this great mechanism that tells you when it needs water.

Fluer Tue 23-Apr-13 00:20:18

I am doing the Paul McKenna I can make you thin. Its about "not" dieting as diets do not work long term. 1300 calories is not much food in a day to keep your body going is it. I eat whatever I want but I only eat when I am truly hungry and stop as soon as I feel satisfied which sometimes is only a few mouthfuls. I listen to a hypnosis tape every night to which reprograms your mind to eat normally like a slim person does. Nigella has had hypnosis and its how she lost all her weight recently. I eat loads of good stuff because my body naturally wants for it but if I want a cake or a biscuit or choc or whatever.....I have it but use the conscious eating method.

juneybean Tue 23-Apr-13 00:06:08

The only claim I know about water is that you retain water if you don't drink enough thus making you appear heavier? confused

doublecakeplease Mon 22-Apr-13 23:57:05

Thanks everyone - just popping on before bed but will read and reply properly tomorrow.
I know that breakfast biscuits aren't ideal but i decided on a whim this morning that today was the day and didn't want to put off till next Monday. I need to get organised, join myfitnesspal and plan my meals - i will do it!!

MrsBertMacklin Mon 22-Apr-13 22:48:48

OP, 14 stone 6 was my starting point at the beginning of March, I want to lose 36 pounds in total & have managed to lose 17 pounds so far on 1350 calories a day.

I really recommend My Fitness Pal as a food diary and a meal planner. Fill it in honestly, plan meals as far ahead as possible (I try and leave 20% of my calorie allocation 'spare' for snacks/flexibility) add some friends (you can go on to the Community boards and ask for UK people to add you, everyone is really supportive) and away you go!

Please make sure you're eating more than you've put in your first day's diary above, it sounds very unsustainable. By midday, I've normally eaten about 700 calories including protein & carbs. You can reduce calories without starving & making yourself miserable.

I'm on Fitness Pal under this user name if you want to add me for some support.

BeckiiL1991 Mon 22-Apr-13 22:38:34

Hi fellow SW just joined from home as can't go to the meetings I need some advice for extra easy!
Are muller corners free incl their new Greek ones and arborio risotto rice?
B- 2 wheatabix, 175ml whole milk and banana
L- jacket potato butter cottage cheese and cucumber
D- jambalaya
S- sunbite crisps

Altogether 29 syns oops!

CoteDAzur Mon 22-Apr-13 16:52:49

Of course, you need water. Everybody needs water.

The bit we are questioning is your claim that dehydrated people can't lose weight.

PearlyWhites Mon 22-Apr-13 16:48:51

Is there a losing wright support thread? Am 13 stone 5 just started my diet this week. Am still using the just had two babies in two years excuse grin

HeySoulSister Mon 22-Apr-13 16:38:28

Nah you need water.... Every single diet sw,ww, even crappy lighter life.... They ALL say it... Hydrate your body

StealthOfficialCrispTester Mon 22-Apr-13 14:54:29

that's what I thought Cote. Can't find any reputable sites about it. I always think the "starvation mode" thing is a bit of a myth too.

CoteDAzur Mon 22-Apr-13 14:52:19

What does "your body simply won't let go of any fat if you are dehydrated" even mean? If you eat much less calories than you spend, you will lose weight. Or where do you think the extra calories are coming from? [puzzled]

Does anyone remember pictures from places in Africa that have had terrible draught, like Sudan? Those people's bodies seem to have "let go of" significant amounts of fat despite quite incredible levels of dehydration.

AMR73 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:50:15

I agree with HeySoulSister- scrambled eggs on ryebread or a bowl of porridge with cinnamon and blueberries keeps me going through to lunch. Green tea is also good for firing up the metabolism. Make sure you getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals (and sleep) as lack of can cause cravings.

CoteDAzur Mon 22-Apr-13 14:46:30

You need proper meals.

You don't need to eat every hour or even every two hours.

If you eat just lettuce & carrots for a meal, you will be ravenous before the next meal and raid the kids' cookie cabinet. Your lunch plate should be something like:
1/4 of the plate = Protein (1 egg or a chicken breast or fish, etc)
1/4 of the plate = Carbohydrate (several spoons of rice or some potatoes or a slice of wholewheat bread etc)
1/2 of the plate = Vegetables and/or salad

Take care to use only a tiny bit of olive oil on your salad or to cook your vegetables.

Eat 1-2 fruits per day. They go well as afternoon snacks.

Good luck smile

HeySoulSister Mon 22-Apr-13 14:45:19

God it's well known, google it.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Mon 22-Apr-13 14:43:00

"your body simply won't let go of any fat if you are dehydrated"
Is that true?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now