Cutting down on Crisps and Chocolate

(54 Posts)
Octopus37 Sun 21-Apr-13 17:10:04

Well I have decided that for this week (day 1 being today) that I am not going to eat any crisps and that I am only allowed one serving of cake or chocolate a day. By serving I mean a small cake or normal size chocolate bar. I am very aware that to most people this probably sounds like overeating rather than dieting, but for me this is as good as it is going to get. I'm not overweight, but I want to drop a few pounds to look my best. I am one of those people who is small boned and not that tall (5ft5) so cannot get away with very much. Hoping that by posting on this thread, I will make myself stick to it, although to most people isn't hard, but I am a glutton and eat loads.
Today I have eaten:
1 pack of belivita biscuits
1 greek yoghurt
2 pieces of cheese on tast (not much cheese)
Some tinned pineapple
A twirl bar
Am planning to eat a tuna and sweetcorn quaesdilla for tea and that will be it. Drinks wise I have just had (as is usually the case) black tea and water). Who's with me as could do with a buddy.

teaandthorazine Sun 05-May-13 09:13:52

Octopus, I think we've all just tried to offer advice. If it's sometimes come across a bit harshly then maybe that's because posters have been genuinely quite shocked by what you've posted. People don't tend to mince their words on anonymous Internet forums....

I completely understand that you don't want to get obsessive and go into 'diet mode'. That's totally fair enough. Things is, you're already very very slim and actually teetering on the brink of underweight, so probably 'dieting' shouldn't be on your radar at all. Your focus should, imo, be on eating better food. If you did this, not only would those last few pounds fall off naturally, but you would also Feel Better, which I'm tempted to suggest is at the root of this thread anyway.

You've said in many of your posts that you are exhausted, stressed, wound up etc. I promise you that a change in eating habits, a focus on fresh, real food instead of crappy processed snacks, would do a lot to help that. You say you eat loads and are always tempted to binge. That's partly because you eat foods that send your blood sugar crazy, which makes you crave crap and feel crap. It's a vicious circle.

You're absolutely right, we are none of us perfect. I'm sorry if you've been upset by this thread but I hope you will be able to take something useful from it.

Trenchcoat Sun 05-May-13 10:20:43

Op people here aren't having a go at you. Even though it probably doesn't feel like it people are actually trying help. I do think your tiredness Is down to your diet.

My food intake used to be very similar to yours. I put on extra weight over Christmas and was constantly feeling tired with no energy whatsoever. I used to go back to bed most days as I just couldn't function properly.
Also I was bloated a lot of the time and had problems with my stomach.

I knew I had to tackle my eating habits and try to get rid of the extra weight. Like you I am small in height and build and any extra shows straight away. Crisps and bread were my biggest downfall.

I didn't class it as a diet as I've never been able to stick to a diet ever, so I concentrated changing the way I eat. I loosely followed low carb.
I cut out bread, pasta, potatoes and rice completely. Cut down dramatically on high sugar foods like chocolate, cake, sweets, bisuits etc.
Also meant crisps were out as were anything like pasties and sausage rolls.
I eat lots of chicken, fish, salad, eggs, soup and veg. If I had a sweet craving I would have fruit or a yoghurt in the beginning. But now I don't really have sweet cravings at all. I haven't had crisps for a couple of months and I really don't miss them.
I lost the extra 7 lbs in no time at all.
I am no longer bloated or tired the amount of energy I have is fantastic (haven't felt this good in years!!) , Also my stomach problems have subsided.

The couple of times I did give in and had a takeaway or unhealthy meal out that included lots of carbs I found that I would be hungry a couple of hours later even though I couldn't possibly need any more food. Also I did indeed feel like crap the next day with a horrible pains in my stomach. Also anything high in salt really affects me as well.
I know now that when I am hungry I am genuinely hungry and its no longer a carb craving

I don't think I will ever go back to eating bread and rice (these affect me more)and If I do go back to Pasta and potatoes it will be very limited as they do make me want to eat more. I still have chocolate or cake every now and again

If you try and take on some of the advice that has already been given, you will honestly feel better.
It sounds like you know what you have to do but as i know making those changes isn't always easy. You have to get yourself in the right mind set and if you haven't got that you wont be successful.
You have already started off with small changes to your diet, keep that up and do one thing at a time, rather than cut everything out all at once. A healthier diet honestly will give you more energy.

But Good Luck with however you choose to do it.

DeckSwabber Mon 06-May-13 08:45:33

Octopus I am sorry you feel that people haven't been supportive.

It takes guts and determination to tackle lifestyle changes and I think people have been trying to help with a mixture of what works for them - a bit of encouragement, a bit of chivvying, and some advice. Most of us are on this Topic if we didn't want some support ourselves.

Good luck.

CoteDAzur Mon 06-May-13 09:28:42

OP - Your diet sounds like it is composed almost entirely of processed foods and biscuits/treats. Have you tried cooking your own meals at all? It doesn't have to take long and is guaranteed to pull you out of this vicious circle of sugar binging/hunger/sugar binging/hunger...

Could someone tell me what 'small boned' means?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now