Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

Pleast take a look at my Workout Programme

(18 Posts)
MariefromStMoritz Sun 21-Apr-13 07:35:28

Hi, this is my first time on this Topic. I have 10kg to lose and have just joined the gym. The trainer wrote a Programme for me, but - I dunno - I just feel that something is missing? Can somone please take a look and let me know what you think:

Pulldown machine
Rowing machine
Shoulder press machine
Leg press machine
Leg extension machine
Treadmill
Wave machine.

He also didn't give me the settings, which I think is a bit slack.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 21-Apr-13 07:53:12

It looks like you haven't got much working your core muscles, so squats , lunges and plank type exercises.

I've just started back at the gym, after a looong break, but you've for a good range of tools to try.

The weights are completely different for everyone. The rule is 3 sets of ten , so set a lowish weight and do ten pulls if your starting to feel your muscles working on the first set at the eighth pull, really working hard on your last set but most importantly can finish all 3 sets of ten pulls then your weight is perfect.

Congratulations on the new program!

Timeforabiscuit Sun 21-Apr-13 07:58:06

I'm not qualified, but feel free to get second opinion with a different trainer. Mines a power lifter as I really wanted to work my pelvic floor and core muscles, once I'm happy I want to improve my stamina.

What I actually want is to lose the belly grin

MariefromStMoritz Sun 21-Apr-13 08:06:35

Thanks Timeforabiscuit. Yes, that's what I thought, no abs or anything. He didn't even show me how to use the machines. We spent my Induction doing Fitness Tests. I asked him a couple of times if these were the exercises I would be doing on my Workout Programme and he said "yes", then gave me something completely different confused

Fanjounchained Sun 21-Apr-13 08:44:09

You could incorporate your own ab exercises by doing something like the plank at the end of your workout ? There are lots of variations on it and you don't need any equipment. Have a wee look on youtube for a demo. Though to be honest. if you're paying for this service then he should be advising you about these things.

MariefromStMoritz Sun 21-Apr-13 09:07:34

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, tbh. Should he have told me what number the machines should be on? I think he should have.

complain then - just say i think there has been some kind of mistake as this bears no relation to the induction and what i was told i would be doing and the instructor hasn't even shown me how to use these machines - maybe he has given you the wrong one in a mix up?

if you've paid for the induction then it should have been worth doing and set you up to be able to start using the gym independently. bit stunned he didn't show you how to use the machines as that would be the basic health and safety bit of the induction that covers their backs surely?

Fanjounchained Sun 21-Apr-13 09:24:29

I've never actually had a useful induction in a gym. Luckily OH is very knowledgeable as he's been training for years so on the rare occasion I'm feeling like doing exercise and have questions he has the answer !

MariefromStMoritz Sun 21-Apr-13 09:24:45

Yes, I am really suprised actually. I just got an email from the Manager saying "I gather you weren't very happy this morning". I told her why. She suggested I start with some classes, but the trainer yesterday told me I am not fit enough for classes sad

ValentineWiggins Sun 21-Apr-13 09:35:57

What is missing is any knowledge that you were there...this is the big standard I suction program that they could (and do) hand out in their sleep!

Definitely start with classes (Zumba is brill)...try a few until you find an instructor who notices you existence and makes sure you are working properly. You might not be fit enough for high level spinning or body pump but there are a lot of classes which you can make harder/easier by jumping/stepping as appropriate. I do a lot of different Zumba classes and I've never been to one that couldn't be attempted by a complete beginner.

And get an induction with a different trainer. For weightloss you need decent cardio, plus working/building the big muscles (legs) plus core for stability. Biceps are pretty once your weight (bingo wings) has gone but a thousand bicep curls is not going to make a lot of difference to either.

Alternatively spend the next few weeks just doing cardio ( you should be working at a level where you can talk but not sing).(heart rate around 140 usually) and start watching the trainers. See which ones seem good and chat to them - then get your induction redone by one of them!

MariefromStMoritz Sun 21-Apr-13 09:41:40

Thanks, that's good advice. I was very upset this morning. After I read my 'Programme' I went to get changed and couldn't work the locker, then I scolded myself on the shower... they really should show you how to use all these things.

Then I just sat on a bench and cried my eyes out. Stupid, I know.

MariefromStMoritz Sun 21-Apr-13 10:28:16

OK, they've found me a new trainer, a lady. She is also in charge of the classes, so will be able to advise better on what I can and cannot do.

Thanks for your help and support.

good marie. it is a paying service (the gym) so don't feel bad about saying if you're not happy or you feel you've received a poor service.

PiHigh Sun 21-Apr-13 14:15:50

I'll post my training plan in case it helps. Days are just a suggestion and I don't follow those because of childcare issues.

Session 1 (Monday)
Training Card

Session 2 (Weds)
45-60 mins aerobic exercise (a class of cardio stuff in the gym) - do as much as you can to start with and build it up to 45-60 mins if needed

Session 3 (Fri)
Training card

Optional additional class - any body balance or yoga class

Training Card (I've included my settings for you):

Warm up - 5 mins treadmill (incline 2.0, speed 4.5km/h)
Core Stability:
Leg Press 3 sets of 15 @ 20kg
Chest Press 3 sets of 15 @ 10kg
Back Row 3 sets of 15 @ 10kg
Shoulder Press 3 sets of 15 @ 2.5kg (I can't manage the 5kg they reccommended)
Lateral Pull Down 3 sets of 15 @ 15kg (I usually do one set at 20kg then 2 at 15kg)
Abs - lie on floor and lift opposite arm to leg (i.e. left arm to right leg) without putting leg or arm back onto floor 10 times each side.
Plank for as long as you can hold it
Any piece of cardio for 10-20 mins (session 1 or 3 only, you can skip it for the other one)
Rowing Machine - level 8, 30/30 intervals (30 secs hard rowing, 30 secs rest) 10-20 mins but tbh I only do it for 5 mins and then I'm knackered!
Cool Down 6-10 mins they recommend the bike but I usually end up on the treadmill again - gradually reduce resistance/spped.
Stretches

MariefromStMoritz Mon 22-Apr-13 03:19:06

Wow, thanks PiHigh, that's really helpful.

Timeforabiscuit Wed 24-Apr-13 20:48:24

Hi marie how did it go with the new trainer?

I can't nearly up to the level of PiHigh yet - I will - but it's going to take some time grin

I like the elliptical trainer, I could manage 7 minutes on my first week and i'm up to 12 minutes on my third week. It doesn't sound alot - in fact its embarrassing - but I feel so much better and my body is recovering quicker three weeks in so not quite so achy.

MariefromStMoritz Thu 25-Apr-13 07:43:38

Hi, not to great. In fact, I have started a thread in AIBU grin

MariefromStMoritz Thu 25-Apr-13 07:44:18

too, too, too

I can't believe I did that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now