Get Ready for Summer - Next Low Carb Bootcamp (10 weeks) starts 29 April

(392 Posts)
BIWI Thu 11-Apr-13 14:53:24

Just to give you a couple of weeks advanced warning, so you can think about it, plan for it, etc.

I feel your pain. Had a wobble when I was doing the food shop earlier over tesco's own cupcakes. They're like a pure shot of sugar & carbs! I didn't though, as I knew the second the high wore off I'd be so pissed off with myself & be right back to square one with the cravings.

Bought some chicken breast & veg to do a nice baked dish instead.

I can do it... <tries to convince herself before monday> grin

AuntieMaggie Thu 25-Apr-13 18:22:46

I had a wobble this morning when my tiffin tasted like gravel instead of the low carb choc treat sad

Chilli and rice for dinner... low carb rice from holland and barratt grin it was like those shiritaki noodles cut up. Not much taste but did the job!

Started qi gong today which was great!

cider I know what you mean... I could really have done with a few pints last night to forget about my day but I had a bath and watched a funny film instead (doesn't help that I really like the taste of cider!)

Attackofthefiftyfootwoman Thu 25-Apr-13 18:28:17

I would love to be in.... but I can't eat any dairy - is this an issue or can I tweak this?? Thanks

Twit Thu 25-Apr-13 19:07:06

I'm back again <sigh>. I stress eat and eat when I'm tired, which is all the time because littleTwit still doesn't sleep through (at 22 months) and still bf's like he did when he was 6 months. I've been pretty low carb since last summer's bootcamp, so hopefully I won't feel as shite as I did then.
I need the structure of the bootcamp to give me a kick up the arse and keep me going.
I don't have any scales, maybe I could measure around my tummy, which is bloated ATM. Everywhere else is actually ok, but my poor ole tum sad or maybe I could buy some at the weekend, 'tis payday isn't it?
Oh decisions decisions...

Hey twit

Just wanted to add my DS is 2 and still not sleeping through (though it's because he wears a brace for his clubfoot which causes a few problems). I crave sugar really badly when I'm tired which is why I still have a proper tummy going on.

Am hoping the structure helps me stick to it smile

am now turning off my laptop so I don't 'accidentally' order pizza grin

Attack tbh that's probably an advantage as it's quite easy to go overboard with dairy as some people are sensitive to it and it can stall weight loss for them. You just need to make sure you keep your fat levels high (as applies to everyone) with oils, fatty cuts of meat etc

MaryBeardfanclub Thu 25-Apr-13 21:05:39

I have just rediscovered boursin - mmm. Whacked a huge chunk into steamed cauliflower and broccoli tonight and warmed through, added more cheese and served with bolognaise sauce. It was sort of like a deconstructed lasagne, delish.

Twit & Orchard I feel for you; my 20 month ds2 has just started sleeping through thank god - I did CC - it took 9 nights (on the fifth time of trying CC). He is a lot more obedient than his brother though (who was 3 yrs when he slept through after 2 nights of CC, why did I wait 3 years to do CC with him??? ). Sleep is so crucial to keeping on the straight and narrow, I used to live on biscuits and sugary tea and Pepsi Max.

Twit Thu 25-Apr-13 21:19:19

Aw poor ds orchard no wonder he doesn't sleep well. If I had been able to keep littleTwit in a cot longer than 14 months I would have sorted it by now. As it is he comes into me whenever he feels like it. This too will end.

marybeard that sounds like my kind of food, quickish, easy and cheap grin
My favourite go to ATM is pork belly fried in butter with Chinese five spice, microwaved spring greens or spinach ( with butter on it too ) because it is quick Nd easy. I eat a lot of spinach, broccoli, cauli and greens.
Sometimes I add a bit of yoghurt on top as well, or soft cheese.

It does end! He shared a bed with me til he was about 1 as he was having plaster treatment & fairly unsettled but now he's in a brace it's much better (still wakes at least once every night but I used my own version of CC to get him to settle himself so I just have to wander in bleary eyed & reposition the blankets). Luckily he's a really chilled out toddler or I'd be way more tired and probably much fatter from all that stress eating of cakes & dominoes grin

It's just quite bad lately as he had a cold so routine went out the window! Almost got it back in time for monday though. Almost...

Scuse the rambling...It's that time of the evening when my mind turns to mush & I should seriously just go to bed grin

Francois Thu 25-Apr-13 21:38:30

Can I please join? (And if so where and how?)

Lost 2 stone years ago doing Atkins. Two babies later I am at my lowest weight for years and years but still need to lose another stone or so to get rid of the dreaded wobble and mum tum.

Have been doing low carb this week and lost 4.5 lbs since Monday but I think that is mostly water and cake after a particularly boozy and unhealthy week

Coristarz Thu 25-Apr-13 21:44:54

Can I join please? smile
Need to lose loads of baby weight... I'm out of control right now, so I think a low carb bootcamp is what I need. I'm bored of wearing maternity clothes, nothing else fits!

HappyHippyChick Thu 25-Apr-13 22:07:20

Can I join too, I need to shift loads of weight, low carbed a few years ago (followed Neris and India). The only problem is my brothers wedding on 4th may, we're heading to Cornwall for the long weekend. Can I start when I get back?

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 26-Apr-13 09:38:17

I think I'll give it a couple more weeks but it's been nearly a fortnight and still no weight loss. Bit depressing when others are mentioning pounds in days sad

No dairy at all now, and may cut down on protein a little in case its that.

My carbs are really really low (always under 20) so unless I have a ridiculously tiny carb threshold?

Very depressing indeed. I thought maybe the extra sodium was causing water retention but I drink tons, and don't really look like retaining water? I just look fat sad

Twit Fri 26-Apr-13 10:57:21

wand I lost very little, especially compared with a lot of the others on the thread, so just keep drinking lots of water etc etc. Do you feel any better? Do you look better in your clothes? That's how I started to judge what bootcamp was doing for me, and I stopped weighing myself.
Within the 2weeks my stomach felt happier and I felt more refreshed, by the end of the month I could see I was slimming a bit. Eventually I did weigh myself and had lost a stone, over the course of the 10 weeks or so.

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 26-Apr-13 11:23:43

twit I'm not as bloated but I still look awful - dressed and undressed. Not feeling better as such, nice not to be physically hungry but the weakness is still there and the cravings are making me wobbly emotionally. Clothes still tight, I refuse to buy bigger sizes so I'm forever a sausage stuffed into fabric lol.

My shape is a bizarre one, rib area is fine, lower arms and lower legs fine, bit thighs love handles tummy and upper arms are HUGE. I can get most my legs still into my size 6-8s - with room to spare - but can't get them past the fat tops of my thighs or huge arse. I can fasten trousers round my lower hip area fine in an 8-10, but I need a 14 to accommodate my love handles or put up with huge muffin top and baggy tops. Its just huge lumps of localised fat in random places.

A stone would do just nicely - if it was even one pound I'd be happy and more motivated - but its nothing.

Im going to start upping my activity levels but im worried to do that while I'm still so shakey x

Twit Fri 26-Apr-13 14:34:31

I was really shaky for ages as well, I feel for you. In the end BIWI prescribed me a tiny bit of porridge wink to shut me up
I only wanted to lose about a stone as well and I think because we're not out to lose a lot really, it is slower. Take the little things that have improved and focus on feeling better, maybe stop weighing for a bit?
Hopefully an expert will be along later to help you more constructively grin

It sounds really demoralising wand.

How about posting your food diary on here each day for the next week or so to see if anyone can see anything that might be scuppering your loss.

Also - if haven't much to lose maybe you don't need to go hard core. A few years ago I lost weight quite easily by just cutting out what I call crap carbs. Basically wheat, sugar and white rice etc. I would have porridge with blueberries in the morning. If hungry I might have an apple and a yoghurt or something mid morning. Lunch would be soup or salad and some protein. Or tuna or egg mayo or something on that German style rye bread. No carbs with dinner. I did have lots of pulses etc. It was basically low G.I. It worked well and is what I'm aiming to do again after bootcamp.

Ruprekt Fri 26-Apr-13 16:31:27

B salad with moussaka

L full fat cream cheese with celery
Pork scratchings

D chicken with celeriac mash and chard smilesmile

Water
Tea

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 26-Apr-13 17:47:50

Umm well yesterday was,

Two eggs, peppers (50g)

Tuna Mayo in lettuce wraps

Roast cauli and broccoli with leftover tuna.

Day before was ;

Leftover steak with egg and veg scrambled up - big meal as was late breakfast/early lunch

Snacked on a pepperami

Got in at 10 (I do shift work) and had omelette and veg.

Today was

Mushrooms and leftover veg with an egg on top.

Cucumber and salami

Not had tea yet, will have it when I get in.

That sound OK?

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 26-Apr-13 17:51:03

I only drink water, tons of the stuff. Dont snack at all unless I know I'll be having tea or whatever late so I have a little something (usually like pepperami or a boiled egg or whatever) to tide me over.

No dairy as of two days ago (I think?)

Wand, how much fat are you adding (butter, oil etc)

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 26-Apr-13 20:47:38

ERM a reasonable amount? Salad will have full fat Mayo and usually something like jarred artichokes which adds about 1tbsp olive oil to the mix. Or I thin the Mayo into a dressing with oil. Meat or eggs or veg whatever is cooked is cooked with oil on then usually serve with butter. I.e roast veg in oil then melt some garlic butter on top. Butter stirred into scrambled eggs etc. I dont use so much as everything's swimming in the stuff but there's usually more than I can finish lol.

AuntieMaggie Sat 27-Apr-13 12:44:31

Well, I went out last night for drinks and a curry and drinking vodka and soda knocked me for six - I was pissed after a couple! I didn't like the taste of the first one but you soon get used to it wink

Had a lush chicken tikka spicy curry and a couple of poppadoms and that was me done - a great improvement on having naan, rice etc with it even though it isn't strictly this woe and it filled me up!

Well done AuntieMaggie - sounds good.

Wand - no suggestions I'm afraid. Not sure why you are not losing. Maybe keep at it for another week and see what happens? I have to say I do think that not every diet works for every body as we are all so different. Have you ever looked at Eat Right for your Blood Type? That might give you some insight.

I am now on day 4 and doing well. Very well in fact. Last summer I got to my lowest for ages which was 14st 10.5. Since then I have been gaining and losing the same half stone or so and havent managed to get close to 14 10.5. Today dear readers I am 14 10.9. Almost almost back to where I was in June. Am pretty pleased. It's almost 3.5 pounds off since Wednesday.

I even resisted wine last night. Was very tempted and DH reckoned I wouldn't do too much damage with a weak white wine and soda but I resisted. Stuck to water. We had a really nice curry out of the Charles Clarke book. I'll try and remember to post it on the recipe thread.

And I bought a top from Monsoon yesterday. They didn't have a 20 which I wanted. Tried the 18. And it fitted! Not sure I'll keep it as it was a bit expensive but I need something for this lunch I am going to on Thursday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now