Low carb and low cost- possible?!

(12 Posts)
teaandthorazine Wed 10-Apr-13 19:50:00

Plus, don't forget that you actually tend to eat less on a low-carb diet. Fat and protein are more filling; you need less. You don't snack, and you're saving money on not buying biscuits etc. It does tend to even out in the end.

BlackAffronted Wed 10-Apr-13 18:54:07

Pork belly joints, beef brisket, oxtail, lamb breast etc are all very cheap cuts in Morrisons, and I tend to use these a lot.

i wouldn't want to guarantee a steady 3lb loss per week - the usual pattern is a larger loss in the first couple of weeks, then it drops to 1-2 lb per week with the occasional stay the same. so the average spread across six weeks could very likely be 3lb per week, but as with all these things weight loss is not linear

a good idea would be to keep track of your measurements, especially if you're exercising, because you could easily lose a decent number of inches even if the scales don't happen to move as quickly as you hope!

FattyMcChubster Tue 09-Apr-13 21:44:41

For all you low carb experts - how possible would it be to lose 3lb a week for 6 weeks? Low carb and exercise 3-4 x week?

thebestpossibletaste Tue 09-Apr-13 20:02:31

Following with interest

HelenDaniels Tue 09-Apr-13 19:00:40

I lived on eggs florentine for a bit. Just cooked spinach out in a dish and then eggs broken into it and baked. Really filling and used to make hollandaise when I could be bothered.

FattyMcChubster Tue 09-Apr-13 18:54:00

Yes- these are the kind of tips I need! Thank you!

HelenDaniels Tue 09-Apr-13 18:30:53

Try the smoked salmon scraps for salads, they are about 90p a packet in the major supermarkets, usually in the basics range.

Lidl is very good. They have low carb sausages, Nuremberg I think they are called.

Cauliflower cheese made with Philadelphia and a small but of grated cheddar is good.

EwanHoozami Tue 09-Apr-13 18:23:27

I've been LC'ing on a budget for about eight months now and have a few tricks up my sleeve. Firstly, the reduced section on the supermarket is my friend. So is Lidl. I try and buy good meat and fish on offer and freeze them.

chicken thigh is perfect for LC as it's fattier than breast. The fatty cuts of lamb and beef are usually cheaper too. Have you got a slow cooker?

Failing that, things like sardine fishcakes (made with swede), tuna kedgeree (made with cauli rice) and corned beef hash (with celeriac) are all bargaintastic. So are chicken livers. Rose Elliot's Low Carb Vegetarian has loads of great veggie recipes that are cheap.

Although without wanting to sound like a bore, I try and see buying decent meat and fish as an investment in my health so I make savings elsewhere to buy meat from good butchers as often as I can.

FattyMcChubster Tue 09-Apr-13 18:11:44

Smiled salmon?! Wtf?
Even my fingers are too fat sad

FattyMcChubster Tue 09-Apr-13 18:11:14

I'd love to scoff chicken breast and smiled salmon but they're just too expensive to include at the minut so any cheap alternatives very appreciated!
It's very easy to be fat when chocolate is so cheap shock

FattyMcChubster Tue 09-Apr-13 18:10:04

I've had success with low carb before and have just 6 weeks until a big event so thought I'd give it a go again. Only trouble is, I'm skint! So, any suggestions? I've got eggs, tuna, salad and cheese but then I'm stuck.
Help!! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now