Atkins bars as very short-term solution

(15 Posts)
MariefromStMoritz Sat 06-Apr-13 16:00:33

Hi, I need to lose weight. My main problem is that I get free lunch at work as well as all-day snacks (biscuits, crisps, etc.). I have only worked there a few weeks, but I have already put on loads of weight. I need to break the cycle so I have just bought 10 Atkins bars. My plan is to have one for breakfast, one for lunch and a healthy meal in the evening. I only plan to do it for a week, then move to a 3 meal a day weight-loss plan.

Has anybody done this and lost weight? Thanks.

They are horribly processed, full of artificial crap and have quite a nasty aftertaste too. They won't help you change your eating behaviours I think. You would be better off having a really decent breakfast of non-processed nourishing food (e.g. a big cheese and spinach omelette) that will help you avoid tempting snacks

If you're considering Atkins bars are you thinking of low carbing to lose weight?

Belugagrad Sat 06-Apr-13 19:37:14

My work is similar. I take the same approach as an alcoholic with alcohol and never eat at work, I only eat the sandwich I made. If
I engage with the donuts it escalates. I can't snack in moderation at work, too tempting! As for yor diet, I think it's unnecessary. Just stop snacking. Easier said! Good
Luck smile

MariefromStMoritz Sun 07-Apr-13 06:45:59

That's a good approach, Belugagrad. And yeah, I am aware that the Atkins bars are full of crap, but it is only for a week...

teaandthorazine Sun 07-Apr-13 08:21:35

But... why not just start a sensible weightloss plan right away? Why spend a week eating shite (I'm a low-carber and I wouldn't touch Atkins bars)? Plus, you'll be really really hungry just eating those which is bound to scupper your plans and have you reaching for the crappy (crappier) snacks anyway.

Sorry to be so negative but I can't see how your plan would be of benefit. If you're interested in low-carb then there are tons of great threads here but IMO quick fixes/crash diets with artificial foods just make things worse in the long run.

MariefromStMoritz Sun 07-Apr-13 11:33:14

It's just quick and easy. No calorie counting, etc. It's only for a week. I don't think it will have a bad impact on my health just for that short space of time.

BambieO Sun 07-Apr-13 11:46:54

The only thing I will say marie is that any weight you lose doing this will come back on as soon as you start eating, even healthily. You would be better off low carving and maybe doing the 30 day shred? I dropped almost 11 pounds in as many days and have kept it off and am now up to a 21lb loss since the start of march

BambieO Sun 07-Apr-13 11:47:08

*carbing

BIWI Sun 07-Apr-13 11:49:36

If you only want to do it for a week then presumably you haven't got much weight to lose.

Why not just eat sensibly? Just because lunch is free doesn't mean you have to gorge yourself.

What have you been eating that means you have piled the weight on? And what options are available to you at work? Perhaps we can help you plan more sensible meals?

MariefromStMoritz Sun 07-Apr-13 13:57:33

I just want to do the Atkins bars for a week. Then I will start with 3 healthy meals a day. I just want to break the habit of eating at work. It is basically a way of kick-starting my diet.

BIWI Sun 07-Apr-13 15:04:38

But you have to eat! Why 'break the habit'? Why not just make better choices?

I can't believe there aren't any healthy options at work.

teaandthorazine Sun 07-Apr-13 16:39:15

Honestly, a week of Atkins bars will do bugger all for you. You'll be starving, grumpy and fed up and the only thing it's likely to kickstart is a massive chocolate binge.

You could join one of the LC threads and start low-carb properly, if that's what you're interested in. But I have a feeling you've already made up your mind anyway...!

beanandspud Sun 07-Apr-13 22:44:28

IIRC an Atkins bar is about 150 calories. There are a lot of other things that you could eat for 150 calories that would be far better for you and have more nutritional value (carbs or no carbs).

The Atkins bars, as I understand them, are manufactured as a 'snack' option for those following a low-carb diet. They are not a meal replacement.

MariefromStMoritz Mon 08-Apr-13 03:30:20

No, they are 220 calories. Sure, there are lots of other things I could eat, but this is quick and easy and lets me focus on the evening meal and not worry about the rest of the day.

TheRealFellatio Mon 08-Apr-13 03:43:17

I use Atkins bars but only as part of a low-carb diet, for those days when I really cannot resist a sweet/chocolate fix and I know I'll cave in and eat something full of actual sugar if I don't have one of those. In reality I eat less than one a week, when I'm low-carbing. They are not designed as a meal replacement at all. They are not low in calories - merely low in the carbs, so unless you are following a low-carb diet they won't be much use to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now