ok, enough is enough, starting the diet tomorrow- does anyone else want to join me for a weekly monday weigh in?!

(79 Posts)
loho Sun 24-Mar-13 21:55:17

i have been saying for ages that im going on a diet, well actually i kind of just plan on eating less/healthier choices and exercising more. i have no clothes that look nice on me anymore and i detest seeing myself in photos.
the time is now! i am now at my biggest i have ever been and im hoping that if i feel i have to check in every week it may give me more motivation,
i know roughly what i weigh but will weigh my self tomorrow morning, i would like to lose around 4 stone (if i achieved this i would still be overweight but it is what i weighed when i met dp)

so... what is your story? how much weight would you like to lose? why?

Ruprekt Tue 26-Mar-13 21:00:02

I had 2 poached eggs for breakfast.

That kept me full til 12 and then I had moussaka that dh had made. Really delicious.

Packet of pork scratchings for snack and cauliflower cheese made with dbl cream and cheddar.

Having a peppermint tea now.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 26-Mar-13 21:33:31

Convert That's typical isn't it grin Why don't you hang out on the chat thread I linked to - then you'll know when the next one is starting. Also, we're all still doing it, it's just the gaps between the Bootcamps gives BIWI a bit of time to remember she has a life outside of MN grin, but if you have any questions, they will get answered by someone.

It is much harder to low-carb as a vegetarian <no eggs>, especially one who follows Briffa (who doesn't approve of soy/quorn products - for good reasons - so although I don't avoid them totally, I try not to eat too much of them). I'm not sure if dairy is slowing down my progress or not (it does for some but not for others), but I'm losing weight and if I had to give up dairy (again/during this) as well I'd probably stop low carbing & would stop losing weight - therefore, dairy is helping me lose weight grin

Breakfast - whole avocado, 25g of cheese & 25g of roasted seeds (I don't weigh it out anymore, I know what it 'looks' like)

Lunch - tomato, mozarella, basil, rocket, radish, pepper with olive oil & black pepper.

Dinner - Bubble & Squeak - the low carb way grin Intentional Left Overs - cauli, leeks, brocolli, bok choy, brocolli stems (the hard stem part sliced and fried - YUM) & mushrooms (fried then added). YUM. As good, if not better than 'normal' B&S.

Certainly not feeling hungry or deprived and still losing weight - what's not to love!

loho Tue 26-Mar-13 21:40:42

Words cannot describe how much I LOVE pork scratchings! Not had them in ages!

I've managed not to have anything since my massive lunch so I don't feel so bad for over indulging.

I'm about to watch river cottage- probably not a great idea to be watching the food channel

Ruprekt Tue 26-Mar-13 22:08:51

We are watching Paul Hollywood's Bread programme.

So not good when you are lowcarbing!!gringringrin

Not hungry though.

Hi, can I join? I'm on day 11 of the Easyloss Virtual Gastric Band iphone app. I lost 8lb in the first week, have loads to lose as currently 17 stone and also just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so the time is now really. I'm doing low-GI and much smaller portions. Felt great yesterday when I could wear my jeans again but today I just feel pissed off and cross. Especially wanting to scoff a big easter egg but really won't as my dad died from diabetes complications at 59 and didn't get to meet his grandchildren. I can't allow that to happen to me but feel a bit down as this will have to be a change in my eating habits for the rest of my life. sad. Sorry, having a shit day, hopefully checking in here will give me the encouragement I need.

loho Tue 26-Mar-13 22:57:58

Welcome hanging belly (haha love the name!)

Its really hard isn't it, I'm also realising that I don't just need to just change my eating to lose weight- I will need to change to keep it off!

Just taking one day at a time and hopefully we can motivate each other

Sorry about your dad, you sound really determined to make the change.

Convert Wed 27-Mar-13 11:38:12

Morning all. I have been very very bad. <hangs head in shame> DH has been working loads lately so took me and the DCs out for tea last night to an oriental buffet type place. I caved. The little tiny creme brûlées were to hard to resist and the chocolate fountain Then we went downstairs to do the quiz and I had lots a bit to drink. I woke up this morning with such a bad headache which I think was partly down to the sugar I had.

However normally I would think, well fuck it, I might as well have a bacon sandwich but I haven't and am back low carbing. I think I need to realise I can have a slip up but as long as I don't then give up its not the end of the world.

Chipping will nip over to the thread and wait for the next bootcamp, am off to work now so when I've got a bit more time.

Hello Hanging you do sound very determind. I really hope we can all do this and help each other! It is hard though.

Loho I have a secret love for pork scratchings too!

Right, off for my ten hour shift, have a good day everyone!

Convert, I think a buffet type place must be the ultimate challenge. sad I think you've done great by not giving up, it's got to happen sometimes. We're off on holiday to Devon next week and I think it wil be tough to avoid treats all week.

WhyIRayLiotta Wed 27-Mar-13 13:25:17

Hello smile

I was good this morning - made a breakfast fritatta type thing It was OK (I don't really like eggs!) DP loved it! But I am hungry again and didnt bring anything to work with me - Is there anything I can buy handily for lunch In Boots / tesco / M&S?

Convert Wed 27-Mar-13 14:15:40

Try cold meat and cheese or prawn mayo sandwich filler stuff.

WhyIRayLiotta Wed 27-Mar-13 17:05:55

Thankyou - I had some chicken pieces and some bagged salad from M&S. Cannot afford to do that every day though so will have to get more organised.

I also politely declined some birthday cake in the office this afternoon hardest thing I've done all day

loho Wed 27-Mar-13 21:41:53

Well done for saying no to cake!

I've had an ok day, had porridge for breakfast, a cheese and onion toastie for lunch and I've just had chicken stuffed with haggis wrapped in bacon and loads of veg, actually looking at it I guess my day hasn't really been healthy but I have cut down- honest!

I've had a really busy night, problems with the car and getting DSS organised for a weekend away so not had time to think about food too much!

How is everyone feeling about the weekend?

I find it easier during the week to be "good" because there aren't as many opportunities to eat crap!

I'm kind of looking forward to weighing myself on monday

BerylStreep Wed 27-Mar-13 22:31:27

Hi, can I join too?

I lost about 9 kilos last year with BIWI's low carb bootcamp, then fell off the wagon, and have put it all back on. I am currently 96kg - I have no idea what that is in stones.

I was doing a media course today, and did a fantastic TV interview, but when it was played back, all I could see was my massive round face sad.

So anyway, I have been feeling quite low recently about having put on so much weight - I have had my thyroid tested, and it is fine apparently, so I can't keep hanging around hoping for some miracle diagnosis - I just need to lose the weight. I don't know if anyone else has the constant critical voice every time you pass a mirror, but if someone else spoke to me the way my inner voice does, I would cut them out of my life in an instant. I think seeing myself on TV today has spurred me into action to shift the weight, again.

So now that I have bared my heart, my plan is to go back on the Harcombe diet, which is basically lowish carb with lots of veggies. I think I need to stick rigidly to no wheat / alcohol / caffeine / sugar. I already cycle (sort of) once a week and do pilates - but I think I need to add an extra 2 sessions of exercise - maybe a walk and an hour of DanceStars?

I will feel very virtuous eschewing Easter Eggs this weekend.

Convert Thu 28-Mar-13 10:11:48

No to cake? Well done grin Lunch sounded good too.

Loho, you sounds really positive, have you got the car sorted? I do find weekends harder, mainly because DH is at work for most of it so in the evenings I usually have an drink or two and something nice to eat.

I'm feeling good today, had a sneaky weigh in to see how bad things were after my slip up and I'm down another 2 lbs. Just going to go to tesco and then get the house sorted ready for easter!

Thanks Hanging it's just so easy to think, well I've ruined it now. I would be quite easy on yourself next week, holidays are special! What kinds of restrictions does your dibetes put on you? Can you control it with diet or do you need medication for it?

Hi Beryl love your name! I have a secret hope that my thyroid is underactive grin my Mom's is so I live in hope. I do have that constant voice. When I get undressed at night I can see in the full length mirror and I just think I look so fucking disgusting. I think photos of yourself, or like you being on film make you realise how you really look.
I haven't heard of the Harcombe diet, what kinds of food do you eat?

BerylStreep Thu 28-Mar-13 19:48:12

The Harcombe diet

You really need to read the book to fully get the theory, but to summarise, she reckons that a lot of people suffer from a combination of hypoglycaemia, candida overgrowth, and food intolerances. These result in feeling rotten, and having massive food cravings.

She has 3 basic rules, although there are also other nuances:
1. Don't mix carbs and fats (which includes protein). In practice I don't do any carbs such as porridge or brown rice, but she allows it.
2. Don't eat processed foods
3. Don't eat the foods that feed the conditions (which in my case is wheat, and most probably diary).

In effect, this means that I do a healthy low carb diet, with no wheat, alcohol, sugar and caffeine. She suggests no mushrooms too.

Tonight I had a pork chop served on a bed of raw fennel with a cream sauce. Breakfast was spinach and egg, and ham salad for lunch.

loho Thu 28-Mar-13 20:52:33

No the car isnt sorted yet but its still drivable, going to get my dad to sort it tomorrow night! Its getting quite old and I'm seeing an increase in the number of things going wrong with it! Its never let me down yet though! (Well apart from the million times I've forgot to turn the lights off and the battery goes flat or when I run out of petrol- actually its a wonder it still runs!)

Oopsy I had a chinese takeaway for my tea! It was DP's idea, its just the two of us tonight, which NEVER happens so thought we would treat ourselves. I don't even feel bad about it- it was really good!!! I will regret having it tomorrow

Will have to try and burn off some calories!

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 29-Mar-13 12:12:58

Mmmm chinese grin stop tempting me!

I weighed myself today... I've been very strict no carbing for 3 days - and wanted to see if it made a dent... It did - I weighed 13st 7lbs. That's down from 14st 1lb on Sunday night! 8lbs?! shock

It has definitely given me hopefully the boost I needed to get thought the long weekend Easter egg and alcohol free.

I'm having stuffed mushrooms for my lunch.

Well done Liotta - that is fantastic smile I've been doing low GI - low fat and have lost another 6lb since Sunday which I'm also chuffed with. Let's keep at it girls!

Convert Fri 29-Mar-13 21:04:45

Don't think I could cope with the no alcohol in the Harcombe diet!

Loho, hope you did some excercise after your naughty chinese grin better to have a little slip up if it means you can continue the diet long term though.
Liotta and Hanging, wow, well done! fab results.

PIL have the kids tonight and tomorrow so have made a deal with myself, if I have a few drinks tonight then I will have no easter eggs. Bloody lovely PIL bought me a massive galaxy one. I've been really good with food and I'm finding I'm just not that hungry most of the time. Alcohol is my only problem.
We were with friends last night and they and DH were all drinking lots, I did have a couple of vodkas but really resented not joining in properly with them. Maybe I should move out of the pub grin

Right off to enjoy myself now and will be especially good over the weekend to make up for it!

WhyIRayLiotta Sat 30-Mar-13 15:08:32

Alcohol is my vice too. I think I can happily forgoe the Easter eggs but I would love to drink!

My drink of choice is vodka and diet coke... which I know is low carb... But I am worried the drink will wash away what little will power I have.

Convert Sat 30-Mar-13 19:06:32

Hi all, how's the weekend going for everyone?

Are you worried about the post drink kebab Liotta? grin

I've handed my easter egg over to DH and been very good today. Think I might treat myself with a few pistachio nuts tonight!

WhyIRayLiotta Sat 30-Mar-13 21:22:02

LOL - yep it's cracking open DDs Easter egg is more of a worry!

But I've failed decided to have a drink tonight. I have been saintly all day and I've prepped a low carb brekkie and lunch for tomorrow so I shall allow myself my drink and maybe a malteaser bunny

Happy Easter y'all grin

BerylStreep Sun 31-Mar-13 11:42:28

Happy choc free Easter, all!

Alcohol is my vice, and I think it is one of the main reasons why I struggle with my weight, so it helps me to cut it out. Having said that, we had friends round for dinner last night, and I had some cava, but I am back on the straight and narrow today.

Convert Mon 01-Apr-13 09:52:42

How did everyone do over the weekend? Are we all ready for weigh on day? I'm 10st10lbs. So another 3lbs off this week even though I've been cheating. I'm going to have a full week with no being bad and see how much I can lose if I really try!!

Convert Mon 01-Apr-13 09:54:19

Think I'm going to get my lazy arse on the cross trainer before breakfast grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now