5:2 starting today

(112 Posts)
linkainka Sat 23-Mar-13 16:04:05

Hi
I've just finished reading the book. What a revelation!
Fasting today. Looking forward to eating tomorrow.
Would love to hear about your experiences. Xxxx

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Mar-13 07:02:08

Well have to get some and try that.

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 09:21:32

Hi ladies. My second fast day today. Was hoping to go to work and be busy but had to come back as school is closed. confused
Will have to get through the day with eating little and not being too busy which is going to be hard.
Anyone fasting today?

You're right about the exercise. Even if u burn 1000 kcal u can still eat only 500 hmm xxx

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 14:23:25

God it's tough. I have had a porridge with blueberries. Then an apple. Not due to eat now till tea time.
Feeling hunger. Trying to subside it with sparking water and herbal teas.
Only thing that keeps me going is eating normally tomorrow xx

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Mar-13 15:47:18

I haven't fasted today, decided two days in a row was a bad idea.

I've had weetabix for breakfast, soup for lunch and a chocolate bar...ooops.

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 16:45:36

Hi Viva
That's really good for a non fast day!
I'm fasting today because didn't yesterday. Last week was my first week so I only fasted on Saturday.
This week I will do Monday and Thursday or might swap Thursday for Friday it being Good Friday too.
Just making my early tea as starving.
Keeping the innocent pot for tomorrow as over 300 kcal and would go over.
How many weeks have u been doing 5:2? What are your results? Xx

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Mar-13 16:47:06

I'm just cooking an Aubergine and spinach curry for tea, not sure it looks very nice.

ErikNorseman Mon 25-Mar-13 16:52:14

Hi guys, even if you don't want to jump in to the long threads (and you are welcome) there are loads of tips and information in the OP of each one, you might find it useful. My tips are never to try two consecutive days, and hold off eating as long as possible. Breakfast is not necessary and tends to open up my appetite and once you have skipped breakfast skipping lunch is easy.

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 16:57:42

Hi Erik
How long have u been IF and what are the results?
Viva, the curry sounds yum. What's the recipe? Xx

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Mar-13 18:47:32

This is the curry recipe, I found it on another thread on here. To be honest I didn't like it much but people on the other thread liked it, could be my crap cooking.

Aubergine Chickpea and Spinach curry

serves 4 huge portions at about 200 cals each

1 x 400g tin chickpeas
2 medium aubergines, cut into cubes
2 onions chopped
A couple of sprays of olive oil
2.5cm knob of fresh root ginger, grated
4 cloves of garlic,
1 hot chilli pepper, seeded and chopped (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp Turmeric
3 cardamom split
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
225g spinach, chopped roughly
Bunch of fresh coriander chopped
Vegetable stock cube made up to about 400ml

Stir fry the onion in a couple of sprays of oil to brown, adding a little stock if it seems to burn
Add the aubergine cubes and just enough stock to keep them moist,. Add the ginger, garlic chilli, coriander and cumin and stir fry a little taking care not to burn the spices. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the turmeric the cardamom the rinsed chickpeas and the rest of the stock or water Bring to a fast simmer the turn down heat and cook for 25 minutes, or until the aubergine feels soft but is still in cubes. Add the spinach and cook for a further minute or two till the spinach is wilted . Add the chopped coriander ,

Season with salt and pepper, and serve. This is even better made the day before you want to eat it . and good with a dollop of 0% fat yoghurt and some more fresh chopped coriander

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 19:40:23

Thanks for the recipe. Xx

BsshBossh Mon 25-Mar-13 20:04:55

Hello, just jumping in here from the main mega thread! Don't blame you for starting this smaller one - you're less likely to get lost here though if you need help from more experienced fasters then you should definitely try and post questions there.

I've just completed my 17th fast. I'm finding it easiest to try and push eating back as late as possible. I find that once I eat even something small it sets my appetite off and I struggle. If I don't eat until 2pm or better 5pm or, even better, evening meal time then I struggle less. Perhaps that's something you cam aim for?

BsshBossh Mon 25-Mar-13 20:05:35

*can not cam

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Mar-13 21:05:13

Yes when I fasted yesterday I had my weetabix as lunch at midday. I found it surprisingly easy to go till then without food.

Then today when I had breakfast I was starving an hour later.

So ill be fasting tomorrow.

Planning on a plain omelette at lunch time. Then for dinner ill be having a broccoli salad.

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 21:19:19

I like the idea of eating late. I might try that on Thursday for my 3rd fast xx

HousewifeFromArimathea Mon 25-Mar-13 21:25:53

I started this today. I have had about 5 cups coffee/tea with 1% fat milk.

A handful of grapes

River cobbler fillet and salad

i don't feel too bad actually, not as hungry as I thought I would. You probably shouldn't have milk upon tea but there is NO WAY I'm giving it up. It's practically skimmed anyway!

I am 5'4 and weigh at a guess nearly 11 stone. I'm a size 14 anyway. I'm not weighing myself, I'm hoping to go on clothes comfiness instead grin

linkainka Mon 25-Mar-13 21:48:58

Welcome to our little thread. When ate you fasting again? I fasted today too. It wasn't too bad. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow tho

HousewifeFromArimathea Mon 25-Mar-13 21:56:37

Thanks for the welcome smile

I reckon Thursday for the next fast. I will see how I get on with it. I've never had to 'diet' before so it is a new experience for me!

I stopped smoking and drinking a couple of years ago and since then have discovered a penchant for chocolate digestives sad

Still I too am looking forward to brekkie tomorrow, bring on the cinnamon bagels I bought today!

linkainka Tue 26-Mar-13 06:57:40

Morning everyone. My first weigh in today since Saturday. After fasting yesterday I decided I'll check the progress. I've lost
2 kilos. That's about 4 pounds, right? gringringrin

VivaLeBeaver Tue 26-Mar-13 07:17:40

Well done on the weight loss. I haven't dared stand on the scales for about a year.

My fast day today hasn't started well. Felt so hungry when I woke up that I felt sick and have therefore had a banana.

HousewifeFromArimathea Tue 26-Mar-13 07:19:05

Wow that's great Lin!

I feel a bit thinner myself wink

MidnightMasquerader Tue 26-Mar-13 07:58:07

That's great Lin - well done. smile

I found my fasting day yesterday was OK, mainly because I knew it wasn't an overall pattern of deprivation and that I'd be able to eat again the next day.

I'm doing my second day tomorrow. For me, eating later in the day is key - I've never been a big one for breakfast so this is working in my favour now.

LittleFriendSusan Tue 26-Mar-13 08:58:18

Hi smile

I'm in my 4th week of fasting (fasted yesterday). Think I am seeing results in that I feel a lot less bloated. Not weighing myself yet: weighed the day before I started and took measurements etc, but want to give it at least a month before doing it again.

I too find it easiest to hold off as long as I can before eating, so generally have black coffee first thing and just liquids (black coffee, water, herbal tea) until around 2. Lunch generally either soup, boiled egg and salad or ryvita & Philadelphia. Then a 'normal' dinner. Veg chilli / tuna or salmon & stir fry veg / veg curry etc. We had the chicken Jalfrezi from the Hairy Dieters cook book last Friday with a chapatti which was nice.

I input my usual recipes into My Fitness Pal and have been pleasantly surprised at the calorie count. I think so long as calories earlier in the day are relatively low, you can have a decent meal in the evening. For me, it's been a case of cutting out / down on carbs - so large bowl of chilli & no rice / small wrap / sweet potato etc. I like the zero noodles to bulk out my stir fries.

I have been quite headachey over the last week, but I think I definitely need to up my fluids. 1st week or so, I was very good and drank lots, but have been a bit slack recently... I often get headaches mid-cycle anyway, so that could be playing a part too.

Not seeing the burst of energy people mention though! I find my fast day routine is dinner, soak in bath to warm me up (!),start to nod off so go to bed. DP and I were both in bed at 9.15 last night which is unheard of! I am looking a lot fresher recently too, but put this down to the extra sleep (I am generally a night owl and function on not very much sleep!!).

monster54 Tue 26-Mar-13 12:06:53

Hi Ladies,

Can I join you please? Also get lost in the big thread too....I enjoy reading but posting is a little pointless...

I'm going into my 5th week of this WOL and I'm 4.5lbs down so far. I wish it would move faster but I have been enjoying a couple of weekends too. So at least I haven't put on weight!!

I also find the longer I can go in the day without eating is better. I do allow myself tea and milk though.

Is anyone fasting today?

HousewifeFromArimathea Tue 26-Mar-13 13:25:42

Hello everyone, it's nice to hear of losses as it makes us newbies feel good smile

I'm not on a fast today, although I find myself not eating as much as I would of. Bonus.

I had sushi for lunch, some grapes and a peach. For dinner I am having a Moroccan chicken tagine curtesy of a waitrose mess up. Another bonus grin

HousewifeFromArimathea Tue 26-Mar-13 13:26:35

Courtesy? Curtesy? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now