Sugar Addict Needs Help

(169 Posts)
TeaCupCrazy Mon 18-Mar-13 18:03:44

I am addicted to sugar...chocolate, biscuits, sweets anythings thats got sugar in it. I have always had a sweet tooth but since starting calorie counting i am seriously binging on the stuff. It got much worse when i quit smoking a month and half ago - i was substituting cigarettes with chocolate, cake etc but i managed to cut down again then bam!! i start a diet now and here i am stuffing my face with cake sad.

Any hints/tips on how to beat this would be much appreciated.

FrillyMilly Tue 26-Mar-13 18:08:55

I've got 1-2 stone to lose. Today I had omelette for breakfast, egg salad for lunch and dinner was chicken and quinoa casserole. Snacks were apple, almonds, yoghurt with blueberry and some veg sticks. All going so well until dd came home with an Easter egg so had a few pieces of that. I just cannot have chocolate in the house. I think I need to get some of that dark chocolate.

Exercise wise I try to do a 15-20 mile bike ride once a week but that's weather dependant. I also play netball once a week and am attempting the shred again.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 26-Mar-13 18:30:08

Frilly, the really dark stuff can be quite bitter if you are not used to it, your sweet tooth needs to adjust, I started with 70% and worked my way up to 85% as my tastes changed, so don't lose heart if you find it too strong to start with- try a slightly lower %.

I can take 90% but tbh it's not as satisfying as the 85 which has a good balance of flavours.

Waferthinmint Tue 26-Mar-13 18:36:47

I haven't read all replies but can 100% recommend the Harcombe diet. Google her website. It ended my sugar cravings and has been easy to follow.

FrillyMilly Tue 26-Mar-13 18:42:43

Raw I like dark chocolate. I was always the one who ate bournvilles in the Christmas tins as a child. Although not sure how dark that is so ill start with the 70%

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 26-Mar-13 20:58:28

Ha, bournvile is strictly amateur! grin I think its only about 40%!

But I loved that when I was a kid too, tasted really strong to my taste buds then.

TeaCupCrazy Tue 26-Mar-13 21:54:05

After a lot of consideration no biscuits involved I have made the decision I have to change my tactics. Cold turkey isn't working. I really want to be able to eat chocolate and cakes in the future - I know that may sound pathetic but I really enjoy baking and its hard enough creating recipes around allergies without adding even more food stuffs to avoid.
My problem is self control. If I could control my want/need for more of the stuff I would be ok.
So I have decided to try distraction. I now realise my problem time is at night after work. So when I want to reach for a biscuit I am going to do 1 min of crunches or planks or something like that. I obviously spend too much time watching Jillian Michaels grin. I think taking myself away from the situation and focusing on something else will help. Lol it may not but Im going to try.
Can I stay in the group please? blush.

ZolaBuddleia Wed 27-Mar-13 09:01:40

Ha ha! Of course! grin

I think we are all united in trying to attack our sugar addiction, we're just opting for different tactics. We all seem to be doing a lot better than we were, which is the important thing IMO.

Raw, apart from your breakfast your daily diet looks delicious! I love meat, not keen on starchy veg and rice anyway, and love things like chicken breast and salad!

Hello all <waves>. May I join you? Pre-dc I was much more into savoury things, but am now a bit of a sugar fiend. I've also recently started to suffer from PMT, which I never used to get.
I've been reading about the evils of sugar on an interesting website by Dr Kathleen DesMaisons and am wondering if sugar highs and lows have been making me moody!
Anyway, have been off the sugar for a couple of days and already feel calmer! Will go and read rest of the thread now...

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 27-Mar-13 15:36:13

Zola, and what's wrong with my breakfasts? grin!!

If I had more time in the morning I'd cook wheat free sausage mushroom and tomato but I have a toddler and 3 teens to sort out so rarely have time.

Most paleo recipe books encourage cooking larger roast/chickens to provide leftovers for breakfasts in a rush and it doesn't seem odd to me anymore to do that... Breakfast can be anything it doesn't have to be breakfast food!

This morning the teens had a big spoonful of paleo beef chilli each topped with a fried egg! That was leftovers from last night. Set them up for the day!

ZolaBuddleia Wed 27-Mar-13 18:04:08

Yes, I need to leave behind my love of cereal. Really not keen on warm food at breakfast time, but will work at it!

Bonners Wed 27-Mar-13 18:40:58

wow, lots of stuff to catch up on! Welcome newcomers.

Saga of poorly ds ongoing. Doc diagnosed viral gastroenteritisconfused.
No sugar todaygrin grin mostly due to having a large toddler on top of me for most of it. Contemplating large glass of wine though. Will post more later but thinking of thread and it's support is very helpful!

FrillyMilly Wed 27-Mar-13 20:40:18

Today I had porridge with almond milk. It was delicious! Normally I can't stand porridge without tons of sugar or syrup. I soaked the oats in the milk overnight.

Have you tried porridge with agave nectar instead of syrup/sugar? I just bought some and it's brilliant! Tastes lovely and it's low GI.

TeaCupCrazy Wed 27-Mar-13 23:25:26

Zola thanks

Hope you had a glass of wine Bonners you deserve one. You have done so well to stay away from sugar. Any idea how long the viral gastroenteritis should last? Hope your ds gets better soon.

Well I braved the shred at last tonight and jumped back in at level 3. It made me feel great. Much better than eating chocolate cake. I just have to focus on the exercise and the way it makes me feel and stay away from the chocolate! Ah, if only it was that simple grin.

Whats everyones plans for Easter? I will be baking with the Dc. I'm going to see if I can cut out some sugar from my chocolate cake and my biscuit recipes. No idea how i can do that - they already have no milk and no eggs so I may be pushing it a bit.

FrillyMilly Thu 28-Mar-13 07:05:12

I didn't shred last night but I went to the supermarket and bought the kids eggs (they are only little so have little novelty things rather than big eggs) and I managed to buy anything for myself. I didn't even venture near the cake aisle! The in store bakery is usually my downfall.

Over Easter I am going to try and stick with my healthy meals and just have some treats on Sunday. We will be baking a cake but I'm going to offer it to lots of people.

I can't imagine a life without cake and chocolate. I need to not have treats every day and work on portion control.

TeaCupCrazy Thu 28-Mar-13 21:33:05

Hi Frilly, well done staying away from the bakery and cake aisle. My big downfall is grabbing a chocolate bar at the supermarket. I end up eating it in the car in 5 seconds. I don't even taste it sometimes blush. I cant imagine life without cake or chocolate either grin. I think my life just needs to have less of them in it.

I've not been too good today but I have done the shred again, and I think I am starting to understand my eating habits more. I am always conscious now of what I am eating.

TeaCupCrazy Thu 28-Mar-13 21:39:23

Hi Holmes, I had a look at Agave nectar today. It looks like a good option. Im not sure if it was on this thread or another somewhere that someone mentioned a downside to it. Will have a look and see what i can find.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 28-Mar-13 22:14:02

Teacup, the downside is... It's fructose, and is concentrated so not great fro the pov that it bypasses the insulin response and is processed and stored in the liver- potentially leading to non alcoholic liver disease.
Replacing a lot of glucose in your diet with fructose would not be "healthier".
As an occasional treat, probably fine but not for frequent use. It has the same effect on the body as high fructose corn syrup.

Sadly we need to eat a lot less sugar - not change from one sugar to another!

Ooh - really, Raw? That's not so good. I thought I was onto a good thing! I really noticed the lack of a sugar hit after having agave nectar rather than honey on my porridge. I think that on days when I overeat, it is often as a result of having something sugary or white carby, which then makes me want to eat everything in sight, and the agave doesn't seem to have that trigger effect.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 28-Mar-13 23:28:31

That's because fructose doesn't spike blood sugar in the same way that glucose does, less spike means less crash later, as less insulin is produced, but that doesn't mean healthier, just different! The fructose is processed and stored in the liver... Over consumption causes liver damage... This is pretty difficult to do by eating real whole fruit(fructose), much easier to do if you have a lot of processed fruit juice, fructose syrups, fructose sugar produces (agave nectar for example).

snoworneahva Fri 29-Mar-13 06:55:31

I'm trying out a rule, it's remarkably simple but surprisingly hard to do.......I am only allowing myself to eat at the table, with no tv, radio, computer, reading material. Just you and the food and no other restriction, so if you want the sugar hit you can have it but you need follow the table rule with no distractions. I'm applying it to savoury too and I'm surprised by how much picking and eating I do while cooking - not tasting, tasting is fine, you can do that.

Just this one thing is such a hard habit to get used to but I think it's working, I try to say my affirmations every morning too.

I want to continue to eat sweet stuff I just want to eat less and I think this is working for me - slowly.

ZolaBuddleia Fri 29-Mar-13 07:54:23

Eating slowly is key when it comes to sweet things, definitely. I can wolf a bag of minstrels without really noticing but couldn't do the same with crisps.

snoworneahva Fri 29-Mar-13 08:39:47

Agree - last time I ate a bag of minstrels slowly I realised how little flavour they had apart from tasting sweet and stopped eating them. It was a revelation!

Hmm. Ok - what counts as a lot though, I wonder, Raw? I don't drink fruit juice and am using 2tsp agave nectar per day max.

ThatsNotAKnifeThatsASpoon Fri 29-Mar-13 09:08:53

Hi I am new to this thread but am watching with interest as I am a sugar fiend. Having read the thread though, can I ask a question?

What's actually wrong with diet fizzy drinks? As long as you don't let them prompt you to snack on sugary foods after drinking (by exercising some will power), what's the problem?

I find them great for satisfying a sugar craving but have read here and elsewhere that they're a big no-no?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now