Sugar Addict Needs Help

(169 Posts)
TeaCupCrazy Mon 18-Mar-13 18:03:44

I am addicted to sugar...chocolate, biscuits, sweets anythings thats got sugar in it. I have always had a sweet tooth but since starting calorie counting i am seriously binging on the stuff. It got much worse when i quit smoking a month and half ago - i was substituting cigarettes with chocolate, cake etc but i managed to cut down again then bam!! i start a diet now and here i am stuffing my face with cake sad.

Any hints/tips on how to beat this would be much appreciated.

Bonners Thu 21-Mar-13 13:17:57

Argh. Had a Morrisons cold ham and salad plate for lunch and it just did not do the tricksad . Feel irritable, like my inner child is throwing a massive tantrum! She wants a pain au chocolat but is NOT being indulged.
Will try a few oatcakes and lactose free cheese.
Well done Xenia! This is bearable if it's only 2 weeks.
Teacup, protein and a bit of carb at lunch will help with cravings mud afternoon. I should have taken my own advice today.

Bonners Thu 21-Mar-13 13:18:24

mid afternoon is what I meant...

TeaCupCrazy Thu 21-Mar-13 14:16:20

Oatcakes sound like a good idea Bonners - not nearly the same as a pain au chocolat though i totally understand. Is the lactose free cheese nice?
I didn't bring my lunch to work today so i bought a tuna mayo and salad roll. I know i will slump later now and i have nothing here to eat. Only the cafe with its rows of cakes and bars of chocolate and the dreaded vending machine.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 21-Mar-13 14:39:12

I've just had eggs, bacon and chips! But no diet coke or chocolate afterwards, which I would do normally. So, a small victory.

I can't do low calorie and try to stop refined sugar at the same time, it would be setting myself up for failure.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 21-Mar-13 16:35:02

How's the afternoon slump? Anyone wolfing down the mars bars?

TeaCupCrazy Thu 21-Mar-13 17:38:11

I made it through the afternoon ok. But, I got home and realised that dd had made truffles at school. I had forgotten and she was so happy with herself! Well, i explained to her that i had stopped eating sugar and she just looked at me with a horrified expression. So....i ate 1 blush. They were tiny honest. But now i feel terrible with myself. In all honesty though that would normally have been the start for me. I would have eaten another 4 of them then had a couple of biscuits on top. And i really want more but I wont eat another 1. At least I ate just the 1 and she was happy. Sorry sad

Bonners Thu 21-Mar-13 17:38:58

Made it through but now really hungry and dinner not for another hour or 2.
Chocolate buttons on table for ds are driving ne insane. Have nearly scoffed a few unconsciously like I normally would but have managed to resist. Feel very grumpy and slightly depressed too. Surely it's all in my head and not from less than 24 hrs without sugar?!
How did everyone's day go?

Bonners Thu 21-Mar-13 19:49:43

Teacup, DD takes priority obviously so good on you for just having the one.
Still waiting on dinner here. Have snapped at dh and now he's in a cream puffblush . Sigh. But no choccy yet. Did have some ketchup on a chip with ds though. Does that count?

TeaCupCrazy Thu 21-Mar-13 20:12:01

Well done staying away from the chocolate buttons Bonners. I was eyeing up the biscuits when ds asked for one for supper but managed to stay away.
Ketchup doesn't count. Does it hmm?
Im finding the cravings are making me really irritable...but i feel they are passing if i can just work through them. Im ok at the moment but in 10 mins i will be desperate for a toffee crisp.
I think i will feel worse tomorrow especially as its Friday and i have no idea how i will cope over the weekend.

ProfessorDent Thu 21-Mar-13 20:13:28

Oh, maybe drink a pint of water before you succumb to a sugar craving. I understand the instinct for sugar is the same as being dehydrated; the two get confused. Esp in this cold weather, with central heating switched up.

Avoid salt, which is in a lot of things. I think Pret may have dialled up the salt in their food. It's boom and bust. You have salt, you need sugar to balance it out again. Yikes!

A banana has good sugar in it, tastes sweet, is better than choccie bars which are refined devilry.

Bonners Thu 21-Mar-13 22:41:24

Oh no! Just made a coffee date for tomorrow at a really nice cafe. Stoopid, now I have to resist really nice cakes. What's the point of tea without a nice bit of cake or a biscuit?
Perhaps they have bacon and eggs.
Anyway, that's one day under the belt. Yay. Zzzzzzzz.

EMUZ Thu 21-Mar-13 23:05:48

I quit cold turkey. Day 2/3 was the worst, banging head and grouchy. I find it pretty easy now although I have one "cheat meal" a week which weirdly is not usually sugar based!

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 22-Mar-13 07:36:02

Emuz, the banging headache and feeling awful seems to be really common when going cold turkey with carbs, I felt very flu-ish for about 5 days! It's just your body adjusting to the new reality smile.

Remember "sugar" doesn't just mean the obvious sources like sugar, honey, fructose etc, ANY carbohydrate food is sugar and even if you don't want to "lowcarb" (I do), you need to pay attention to the amount of high gi carbs you are eating because you will get the same blood sugar spike/blood sugar crash, hunger cycle from processed carbs as from table sugar (a baked potato gi is almost the same as the gi of sugar!) shock

ZolaBuddleia Fri 22-Mar-13 08:39:33

Morning smile!

Yep, get what you're saying about the obviously carbs, but I'm having to start somewhere. If I can stay away from artificial sweeteners, biscuits etc but still have a small amount of pasta, bread and potatoes then I think I stand more chance of succeeding. I'm sure that I'm addicted to effect that sugar has on my body, but I crave the obviously sweet things because I like the way they taste, and if I can beat that I would be reducing my daily calories by about 750 I reckon.

TeaCupCrazy Fri 22-Mar-13 09:48:10

Im the same as you Zola i need to focus on my craving and addiction for the obvious sugars to me - biscuits, chocolate bars etc.

What may seem like a small change will make a huge difference to me.
At the moment i crave the taste (and the resulting sugar rush) of chocolate and as soon as i have one bit i will eat more - every single time. That could start with one kit kat - before i know it I've had 4.

Good luck at the coffee shop Bonners. Hope they have bacon and eggs smile.

Professor I did notice yesterday I upped my water intake at night and it seemed to help. Your right about bananas they are sweet which would help with a craving.
Apparently banana and egg pancakes are good. May be good for a treat at the weekend.

ZolaBuddleia Fri 22-Mar-13 11:57:23

Banana and egg?

Bonners Fri 22-Mar-13 13:27:49

Well.... I didn't do so well but not disastrous. One scone with a bit of jam. Kids were too rambunctious to have anything more as we had to leave pretty quickly after ds banged his ear on a table and had a meltdown in the only slightly kid friendly cafe.
I hear what you're (sorry, on my phone with this and once in post mode I can't look back on the thread so can't remember who said what) saying about sugar not just being the obvious but as with teacup and Zola, this is a start. Next step is to really concentrate on refined carbs like white flour and pasta and limit them. Although I do recognize that overloading on those while stopping sugar is counterproductive.
Friday night is on it's way though! Have planned for a curry with rice and naan and have bought one of those ittybitty bottles of wine so I have no choice but to only have one. And no biscuits for after!
What's on the menu for everyone else?
Bxx
ps. is that pancakes made with eggs inside and then bananas on top or pancakes with cooked egg and banana? Former, yum. Latter, maybe not so much?

ZolaBuddleia Fri 22-Mar-13 14:03:09

Had an omelette and salad, with a piece of bread and butter. Didn't, however, have pop and a chocolate muffin for afterwards, which is what every fibre of my soul was craving.

Dinner is pork chops, potatoes and peas. We have guests so there will be pudding, but I will do my best for the sake of all MNers on this thread to minimise portion size.

Have a belting headache from lack of caffeine, and have a permanently metallic taste in my mouth that just water isn't shifting. Boo.

EMUZ Fri 22-Mar-13 14:10:00

RCM - yup, I battled through with litres of water, now nearly 3 months on and 9kg down grin

TeaCupCrazy Fri 22-Mar-13 14:12:52

1 banana and 2 eggs I think. Mash the banana, add eggs, whisk up really well and then cook. But just to add I have never tried to make them grin. I'm going to make them tomorrow in the hope my ds may eat them. I will want syrup on them though thats the problem.

The weekend is near and the dc will be expecting their weekly pancakes. I usually make pancakes with flour, water or soya milk and 1 tsp caster sugar. I might replace some of the flour with oats and see what they turn out like.

Bonners a scone is ok I would say. If it was only one and not 4 all topped with huge amounts of jam and butter then followed by a huge piece of chocolate cake that would previously have been my kind of scone

Bonners Fri 22-Mar-13 14:32:42

No flour? Let me know what they're like!
Stranded in car with sleeping child and have no food or water with me. It sounds dire but I'm just down the street from my house. I can't leave him though because it's a busy street on a steep hill. Too paranoid about the handbrake failing or someone nicking him to leave him even for a bit if the car isn't right outside the house.
So, on the upside I can't be cheating with sweets because there are none but the downside is that all I've eaten since 7am is a sconesad and my blood sugar is LOW (said with a Barry White voice). I'd give my left (numb) butt cheek for a cup if rooibos tea and a ham sandwich.
Porkchops sound nice!

Bonners Fri 22-Mar-13 14:36:13

Well done Zola! I can't believe you're kicking caffeine too but good on you!
Awesome effort EMUZ! Will never leave home without a water bottle ever again.

EMUZ Fri 22-Mar-13 14:38:25

Banana and egg pancakes are nice smile took a little trial and effort, I used the hand blender for the mix

ZolaBuddleia Fri 22-Mar-13 14:39:04

I only have to kick it because I drink a can of Diet Coke every day and it's Against Our Rules.

You're a very good mummy sitting in the car in the freezing cold with no sweets. I'd throw my DD to the sharks for a packet of Revels this afternoon.

TeaCupCrazy Fri 22-Mar-13 14:54:42

Zola, sorry i didn't see your earlier post. I had omelette last night and found it was really filling so I'm definitely eating them more often.
I bet i get addicted to eggs next with all the egg pancakes and omelettes i will be eating!

EMUZ, your doing great. I will make the pancakes tomorrow using a hand blender.

Bonners are you still in the car?

Do we have rules? We should. What are they? Im worried now!!! Im no good with rules confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now