Sugar Addict Needs Help

(169 Posts)
TeaCupCrazy Mon 18-Mar-13 18:03:44

I am addicted to sugar...chocolate, biscuits, sweets anythings thats got sugar in it. I have always had a sweet tooth but since starting calorie counting i am seriously binging on the stuff. It got much worse when i quit smoking a month and half ago - i was substituting cigarettes with chocolate, cake etc but i managed to cut down again then bam!! i start a diet now and here i am stuffing my face with cake sad.

Any hints/tips on how to beat this would be much appreciated.

ZolaBuddleia Wed 20-Mar-13 10:47:13

I'm with you TeaCup, really struggling. I did follow the low GI principles for a while, using the Montignac book. I really did feel better for it, and lost weight, but struggled to keep going.

A lot of what other posters have said here makes sense (particularly the big English breakfast bit), and I liked that idea of if you've made it to 4pm with no sugar hit then the home straight is in sight.

Shall we go for it together TeaCup?

Bonners Wed 20-Mar-13 13:14:33

Can I join you Zola and Teacup? On my first no choccy day and finding it hard.
I did a very strict candida diet for 10 years in my early twenties and was slender, healthy and full of energy. Fast forward to my late thirties and a dh and ds later and I'm up to my highest weight ever, chronic thrush, feeling low and no energy.
This is it. Gotta start now!

ZolaBuddleia Wed 20-Mar-13 14:48:31

You're certainly welcome to join me! (Come on TeaCup!)

I can't start til tomorrow though, as I've already munched a Crunchie and two coconut macaroons today...

I like a lot of healthy food, and I'm convinced if I could kick the refined sugar I'd feel much better and lose weight. Do you smoke/drink as well? Bad food is my only vice, but the addiction is really strong!

Bonners Wed 20-Mar-13 15:33:09

I'm partial to a glass of wine on the wknd but don't drink excessively although I REALLY look forward to Friday and my glass of wine. The hangovers have gotten worse over the years and it's just not worth it to get trollied. I quit smoking about 8 yrs ago after many tries. This feels the same. My stop smoking technique was to tell myself "I'm ok now, I'll have one later" which seemed to trick my brain into getting over that craving.

There is a box of dark chocolate gingers in my office that is whispering my name. I'm going to tell it "later" too and see if it works.confused

Anyone else get the 3pm slump? I'm powering through but just want to crawl under desk and have a nap (or just keep MNingblush ).

Great that you already have a good diet Zola, that will help with kicking sugar surely. My diet used to be crazy healthy (sprouts, gluten-free whole grains, no flour products, veg coming out the wazoo and filtered water by the gallon. I was very crunchy) but I've reverted to alot of ready meals, pasta, sauces, meat/potatoes and tonnes of carbs since falling pregnant in 2010. I blame motherhood!wink

TeaCupCrazy Wed 20-Mar-13 18:38:12

Zola Im in grin tomorrow. I was back at work today after 6 days at home with DS (chicken pox) and i was in a meeting all day so i gave in and had 2 biscuits. Thats all so far. Oh no, i had some Haribo sweets when i got home too blush. I love healthy food too and i actually would have a good diet if i could only stop consuming so much sugar. I don't smoke anymore and i drink only occasionally now.
Bonners i have been thinking of getting away from my desk when i have a sugar craving. Just going for a 5 minute walk or wander about. Will try that tomorrow.

So is that us all set and ready for tomorrow?

Bonners Wed 20-Mar-13 19:23:44

WOOHOO! Let's go!
It's the start of Spring so very fitting that we're starting this now.
I'm done work for the week so it will be easier to avoid sugar consumption due to boredom but will defo try the 5 min walk next week when the 3pm slump hits.

ZolaBuddleia Wed 20-Mar-13 19:43:50

In!

Bless you for thinking my diet might be all beans and pulses. grin What I meant is that I like healthy food, so I won't be at sea if I can't have a KFC, but the healthy things I'm eating are more than wiped out by the sweet shite.

BsshBossh Wed 20-Mar-13 21:25:26

TeaCupCrazy can you increase your carbs a little bit as that may be the reason why you're binging on the sugar? So bring back into your diet a bit of bread, potato, pasta etc... Your body might be feeling too deprived. You can still log it for calories.

I can inhale chocolate etc too but what I've found is helping is to tell myself, whenever I get the urge to munch, to reach for healthy things first. I don't keep chocolate etc (except for 70-80% black chocolate) in the house anymore but am well stocked on red peppers and carrots that I dip into hummous or tzatiki. It really helps reduce the sugar binging. Also loads of blueberries and raspberries.

BsshBossh Wed 20-Mar-13 21:30:41

Found a great link to Kathleen DesMaison's steps to overcoming sugar addiction:
www.radiantrecovery.com/7steps.htm

Thanks Xenia for the heads up.

Bonners Wed 20-Mar-13 21:53:07

Thanks for the link Bssh.

That all looks fine but the thought of eating a potato at night makes me want to hurl. The shake in the morning sounds nice. Might give that a try.

BsshBossh Wed 20-Mar-13 21:58:46

Yeah, the potato idea makes me <boak> but the protein and complex carb advice looks good.

BsshBossh Wed 20-Mar-13 22:00:55

By the way, I don't eat breakfast (and don't plan on doing it) plus I do 5:2 fasting, but I want to reduce my sugar intake on non-fasting days. So will pick and choose from DesMaison's ideas to suit me.

chartreuse Wed 20-Mar-13 22:06:39

I had a chocolate addiction which was getting out of hand, so I followed the Low Carb Bootcamp thread. No sugar, no carbs for 2 weeks and that was enough to get it out of my system.

I still eat low carb and have no interest in sweet things now. I was out with dd at the weekend and had a slice of cake, but I couldn't finish it as it tasted disgustingly sweet! It really doesn't take long to re-tune your pallate.

TeaCupCrazy Wed 20-Mar-13 22:31:40

Bssh thanks for the link. Im going to take my time and have a good read through it.

Im going to tackle this like i did with cigarette cravings. Tell myself its only a craving and it will pass. And that without sugar i will be healthy (and thinner!!!). That at least should give me a bit of time so the craving will pass. Until the next one of course.

Chartreuse leaving a bit of cake is something that i can never imagine myself doing. But if i can get the sugar out my system maybe i could. I just don't think i can cope with no carbs at all.

chartreuse Wed 20-Mar-13 22:45:03

Try the bootcamp thread, it was brilliant for me. The first few days are hard though, so you need to be determined. Don't try it if life's a bit stressful, or the week before your period.

I was also in the habit of 'treating' myself with food. I stopped that, instead of chocolate I'd buy a magazine, or have a bath or something.

If I can do it, you can!

ZolaBuddleia Thu 21-Mar-13 08:21:15

Morning all. Reporting for duty! Breakfast has been the usual, Weetabix with semi skimmed, I don't put sugar on that anyway so no challenges so far.

I don't drink tea, coffee or herbal teas, so tend to have diet coke and squash. Obviously they need to stop, any ideas for replacements?

Bonners Thu 21-Mar-13 09:07:39

Morning all!
Breaky was porridge with almond milk (I'm lactose intolerant) apple, almonds and pumpkin seeds. Planning on making pear and banana muffins with Stevia if children can be entertained by themselves long enough.
Have 2 toddlers in the house today so avoiding sugar will be easier than normal. I'll be too busy to eat!
The best thing to replace diet drinks and squashes is water but that might be hard. what about a wee bit of fresh fruit juice diluted in it, or just fizzy water?

TeaCupCrazy Thu 21-Mar-13 09:10:28

Morning Zola. I drink lots of water during the day if I'm at work and at home i tend to drink lots of tea and coffee. What about trying a herbal tea? I always fancy buying some but theres too many in the supermarket so i end up spending half an hour looking at them then i cant make up my mind.

i had porridge this morning made with soya milk (no sugar) instead of my usual toast and banana. Im hoping it will keep me going until lunch.

Im feeling positive but its only past 9am grin.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 21-Mar-13 09:17:43

Why did you not have toast and banana? <panics that I've misunderstood what this is about and I can't eat bananas>

TeaCupCrazy Thu 21-Mar-13 09:33:27

grin zola just because I'm usually still hungry after that so i will end up eating some biscuits. I love bananas they are my favourite fruit - no way i would give up bananas.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 21-Mar-13 09:34:26

Had a look at the link, and for me I think eating protein at breakfast time is going to be tough!

devilinside Thu 21-Mar-13 09:42:46

Try sweet potato instead of white potato, it has a lower GI and satisfies sweet cravings. I am the biggest ever sugar junkie, and have lost almost 1/2 stone in 2 weeks by going cold turkey (having red wine at the weekends)

Xenia Thu 21-Mar-13 09:47:22

It certainly was the traditional English breakfast - lots of eggs, kippers even and a lot of people find it fairly easy as that was what they were brought up to eat at breakfast time. Sugar, even fruit, was a rare things for 2 millions years of our ancestors (fruit only in season) so I suppose were evolved to go wild the few occasions once a year we found honey or fruits.
Try substituting fruit or as much nuts and raisins as you like no matter what the calories as you move to not eating the junk food products.

I would never have thought I would cease to be tempted by chocolate or biscuits in the house or at a work meeting but I totally lost the desire. There were biscuits in a work meeting yesterday (mind you pretty low grade Midlands company type biscuits - not South East meeting room biscuits... but either way I was not tempted).

ZolaBuddleia Thu 21-Mar-13 10:53:48

It's the hot food angle that puts me off. Maybe I should try cold hardboiled eggs.

At the moment I'd sell my leg for a biscuit, no matter what the provenance.

TeaCupCrazy Thu 21-Mar-13 11:05:34

I think i would struggle with protein at breakfast too. I'm feeling good after eating porridge for breakfast today. Which is a big change for me. Normally i would be thinking about lunch by now and craving a biscuit.
I may get some nuts to keep at my desk for the afternoon slump.

I need to change my lunch eating habits too. A salad is just not enough for me at lunchtime and just fuels my sugar cravings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now