Heart palpitations on 5:2 diet?

(11 Posts)
freerangeeggs Fri 29-Mar-13 11:29:29

Could this be an anxiety issue? I have issues with my breathing going back to way before I started 5:2 - doctor gave me a leaflet on generalised anxiety disorder. Felt a bit embarrassed about it but I do find my job quite stressful.

kimster2 Wed 27-Mar-13 10:19:14

Hi there, just noticed your post as I have experienced exactly the same..in fact this morning I posted the same question in the 5:2 diet forum. This was my first experience of prolonged palpitations (about 6 hours yesterday evening, it wasn't a fast day) Quite scary! I don't drink coffee, wasn't dehydrated...did you find out any more?

mumblechum1 Thu 14-Mar-13 18:54:22

No, never touch them. As no one seems to have the same symptoms I'm thinking maybe there's no link....

germyrabbit Thu 14-Mar-13 16:52:49

are you using alot of sweetners?

mumblechum1 Thu 14-Mar-13 16:48:05

No, pretty much on and off every day. Have them at the moment and I'm sitting with a cup of tea, perfectly relaxed having just nodded off at the beautician's grin

Do you only get the palpitations when you're fasting? Well done on the weight loss btw.

mumblechum1 Thu 14-Mar-13 15:17:21

Well done you! You're beating me, have lost 17lbs, have another 5 lbs to go till my target weight. smile

Frenchfemme Thu 14-Mar-13 14:48:58

Hi - sorry, missed this. I have lost 10kg (22lbs) so far. Slow and steady!

mumblechum1 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:30:32

Thanks FF, how much have you lost so far?

Frenchfemme Wed 13-Mar-13 14:25:50

Not sure if this helps, but I've been doing 5:2 (or sometimes 4:3) since mid-November last year, and have had no problems. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

mumblechum1 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:15:09

Has anyone else experienced this? Have had heart palpitations for about a month and one dizzy spell. Been on 5:2 in varying degrees of enthusiasm for about 6 months, on and off. I get the palpitations when I'm resting, not exercising.

Is it just me or is this a common side effect?

(btw obviously I've been to GP, had ECG which was normal, and waiting for blood results)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now