Is it actually possible to lose weight? Help, stories and motivation please!

(81 Posts)
KettleCrunch Tue 12-Mar-13 17:17:00

Please motivate me, all you healthy superfit MNers!

OK, so I've got a stubborn BMI of 27.5, having put on three stone in the last two years or so (bloody Cerazette/sedentary office job). I'm tall, which is why my BMI isn't abysmal, but I really want to shift at least some of the flab by summer.

I've tried to lose it a few times since LAST summer by doing low-carbing, eating less with myfitnesspal, C25k etc, but just keep losing and gaining the same half stone or so whenever I inevitably surrender to a massive packet of jaffa cakes blushblush.

I've never had to lose any significant amount of weight before, so I just don't understand how it's done, or really believe it's possible! I joined a gym last week and I've been trying out all the classes to see which ones I enjoy, for the first time ever, which I'm loving so far - but I know that, though it'll make me feel better and tone up a bit, this won't be enough on its own to see much weight loss. If I go to a class most days, and cut out the jaffa cakes and their evil junk food pals... will I actually lose weight? Is it possible?

Also hoping to get back on the C25k as soon as this damn ice thaws... I finished the programme but it's been a few weeks since I've braved the weather.

Please share your stories of weight loss success and reassure me that the effort I'm about to put in will not be all in vain! Also please tell me what it feels like to lose weight, any ups and downs I should prepare for, tips for 'digging deep' and just keeping going when comfort eating is calling... and if anyone's in the same position as me, join the club!

BambieO Thu 14-Mar-13 17:08:00

Accepted smile it's a great support network on there

Let me know how C25K goes, you can do it!

BambieO Thu 14-Mar-13 17:11:24

Accepted smile it's a great support network on there

Let me know how C25K goes, you can do it!

KettleCrunch Thu 14-Mar-13 18:59:59

I did it! Even though it's a few months weeks since I last ran, I went straight back in at week 4 and completed it without too much blood spilled. Brilliant! Thanks so much for the motivation Bambie and co - I don't think I would've gone out tonight without this thread...

BambieO Thu 14-Mar-13 19:16:57

Well done!!!! And week 4, that's fabulous smile bet it felt good out in the fresh air, you will have completed in no time

pipsqueakz Thu 14-Mar-13 20:22:03

Absolutely I was 13st now down to 9st3 I don't have much time for exercise but am mum of three and full time carer to my disabled hubby.

pipsqueakz Thu 14-Mar-13 20:24:45

Anti oxidants are my secret

KettleCrunch Thu 14-Mar-13 23:03:25

I think you should get a t shirt printed with 'anti oxidants are my secret' pipsqueaks! Sounds like you live a very busy life smile

It did feel so good to be out in the fresh air! I've been buzzing all evening. I forgot how good it feels after the run!

BambieO Fri 15-Mar-13 08:01:54

Kettle I have hit my first stone! I am back in the 12 stones and back on a BMI of 24 I am thrilled. Must keep going!

You must have been so energised after your run! I'm so
Impressed by your motivation smile

See, there's the BMI height difference, at 5ft I'm still overweight at 9st 5! My "ideal" weight is 7st 13, and that is never going to happen!

BambieO Fri 15-Mar-13 08:26:49

I know, it's such a difficult thing BMI. I am 5ft 11 and it tells me really I should be 11 stone ish and I haven't been 11 stone since I was about 17 haha, very depressing

weegiemum Fri 15-Mar-13 08:36:09

I lost a lot of weight between nov 2011 and July or so 2012. 7 stone! I'd not recommend my induction method, which was to inadvertently develop a potentially life-threatening neurological illness that made me so sick and dizzy I ate practically nothing for 3 months!! Ended up on high dose vitamins and was threatened with a tube feed, so I started nibbling again.

However, I've never got my (frankly huge) appetite back. I eat 2-3 small meals a day and loads of veg as snacks. Have totally gone off sweet stuff.

I'm not small. I was very overweight, but have gone from a 26/28 to an 18/20, and weight is still slowly shifting, I'd love to be a 16/18. It's complicated for me as severe issues with balance, coordination, proprioception (body position sense - if I can't see my hands or lower legs/feet I don't "know" where they are, the classic example being I can't clap my hands with my eyes closed!) and crushing fatigue mean I can't do more than cursory exercise.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd be reducing portion size, cutting back (but not cutting out) carbs and do whatever exercise was possible in the course of each day - after a year of lifts because I was so scared of falling, I now occasionally manage a floor of stairs!

BIWI Fri 15-Mar-13 08:39:26

Wow! Well done, Kettle - I'm really impressed!

Don't worry too much about BMI figures - they really are just a guideline and don't take into account body composition. If you have developed muscle (as opposed to fat) then you will weigh more and therefore your BMI will be higher.

Equally, take what the scales tell you with a bit of a pinch of salt. The key is always your body and what it looks like/how it fits into your clothes.

I know I'm a good stone heavier than when I was in my early 20s, but my figure is pretty much the same and I'm happily wearing size 8 or 10 clothes.

KettleCrunch Fri 15-Mar-13 08:55:18

Bambie how brilliant to be on 12 stone! Congratulations! I dream of that day. It's so nice to speak to someone who also has a weight goal of 11 stone, which I haven't been since I was 17ish either! We will get there smile (and then we'll be 17 again in every other respect, too, right? <looks forward to smooth young skin and making bad decisions about boys>)

InMySpare crikey, I think my left leg alone probably weighs 7st 13!

You're right though, BIWI, to not be a slave to the scales. I'd love to gain some muscle and tone and I know that may skew the figures. Just have to hope I keep it up!

BIWI Fri 15-Mar-13 08:58:45

grin about bad decisions about boys!

BambieO Fri 15-Mar-13 09:10:37

Haha kettle, we definitely will be 17 again if we keep it up!

Our goals are so similar as are we so it's great to have someone similar to do it with smile as well as everyone else of course! You are all my mojo grin

KettleCrunch Fri 15-Mar-13 14:25:15

This place is great for mojo! Went to a gym class this morning, on track with MFP, all going well at the moment smile

BIWI Fri 15-Mar-13 14:36:11

You're really on a roll, aren't you?! grin

Go you <shakes pompoms>

KettleCrunch Fri 15-Mar-13 18:15:47

Thanks! I am a bit worried the motivation will suddenly drop off though... hopefully that won't happen.

BambieO Fri 15-Mar-13 18:20:42

Mine nearly did so I went through all my clothes trying them on and realised I still hate the way they fit so need to keep going!

Give it a try ;)

KettleCrunch Fri 15-Mar-13 18:51:20

That is a BRILLIANT idea Bambie. I will totally do that if my motivation flounders.

It would be so nice to be able to buy some new clothes that actually look good. I've put 'clothes' as my motivation on MFP, and I really would like to be able to get some new things to wear. I'm stuck in that typical rut at the moment, though, of thinking there's no point in buying nice things. But there will be if I slim down a little! And trying on all that ill-fitting old stuff should underline that goal in moments of feeling less motivated smile

yes you can since June last year I have lost 10 stone.by low calorie and low cars and exercises oh and im a wheelchair user

have gone from a size 24 elasticated waist to a size 10/12 .12 in primark new look but 10 elsewhere

oh I swim /yoga do weights and play basketball .and started using racing chair .

start slowly weighing what you eat .Try gluten free for a month and drink lots of water

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-13 10:11:25

Kettle - find something that you would really like to wear, but that's just a bit too tight. Not ridiculously tight, but something that just clings a bit too much or gapes too much at the buttons. Keep trying it on each week and that will give you a much better idea of your progress.

And if you do the C25K programme, you should find that it keeps you going because you always have the next stage to move up to. Certainly this is how I've found it. I'm amazed that I'm just about to finish week 6, as it's gone so quickly as much as anything!

Once you start feeling/seeing the benefits of what you're doing, it should help to keep you motivated.

KettleCrunch Sun 17-Mar-13 10:21:22

catapult wow, ten stone in less than a year! That's incredible! You must look like a totally different person!

BIWI Oh I have plenty of clothes like that ;) I have one shirt in particular that I think I can use as a measuring stick. Good idea!

The think with C25k is that I completed it last year, and ran a 5k, but then I lost some motivation because there was nowhere to go next. I'm using the app again, starting from week 5, because I like hearing the prompts and knowing that I'm working towards something. But I'm a bit worried that when I get to the end I'll lost motivation again. I wish there was a 10k app! I'd like to do parkruns but the nearest one is a bit of a drive away and I'd feel a bit selfish being out for that long on a saturday morning. Dilemma.

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-13 11:30:36

I think there is a 10k app - hang on ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now