VLCD, Lighter Life, Cambridge Diet, etc

(1000 Posts)
Mudwiggle Tue 12-Mar-13 12:09:23

Hi All

Wanted to see if anyone is doing one of these or thinking about it. (If there's already an active thread, I missed it).

I have done LL before, lost three stone in 10 weeks and maintained wonderfully until DC's. Eldest is now four and a half and I think I have probably tried everything going, you name it, I've tried it (Paul McKenna, Paleo, 5:2, Dukan, Weight Watchers, etc).

I know that this works for me, although I understand other peoples objections.
I get paid on Friday and will be contacting a CDC to start on Monday. By the time DS1 is five in June, I intend to be pre DC weight again! grin

Anyone up for it? Or can give me some support or advice? TIA.

CHERRYBL0SS0M Sun 24-Mar-13 12:15:30

Hi, can I join? Another Cambridge newbie here.
I started this week and am on day 4. Loving the flavours of everything so far.
I've also done lighter life before, did well on it, but didn't stay in for maintenance as I hated the woman running it. I put on about 1/2 stone and was able to maintain it just about until getting pregnant.
So inspired with all the loss already mentioned, you have all done so well! Congratulations! smile

giggly Sun 24-Mar-13 15:28:33

Just finished week one and have lost 4 kg which is about 6 1/2 pounds I think. sad to say I forgot to take my shakes to work and had to have fish and chipsblush but back on track. I forgot how motivating it is to lose every day I aim for no cheats this week, I am at the I'd rather be slimmer than have the crisp stage so fingers crossed for next week.

TisILeclerc Sun 24-Mar-13 15:34:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aspiemum2 Sun 24-Mar-13 15:34:21

That's great giggly. Can I ask those who've done it before when there worst day was. I'm still feeling normal on day 2. They say the 1st 4 days are the hardest or do they mean day 4?

Oh, seeing as I keep posting about my likes & dislikes! The mushroom soup is a hit smile

Alice2701 Sun 24-Mar-13 17:44:12

For me it was days 4-5 I think. Or at least the day before ketosis because you've for the card withdrawals which are a pain BUT as soon as ketosis comes you suddenly have loads of energy so all is good smile
Haven't tried the mushroom soup but the leek n potato/spicy tomato are hideous!! The vegetable one isn't too bad though that's worth a go.

deewillow Sun 24-Mar-13 18:47:22

hello, i have been on the CD for past week and had first weigh in today - was hoping for a 4-5lb loss.
very very pleased with an 8lb loss instead!!!! shock
I have been following the SS+ . so having a shake late morning, picking at chicken/tuna/quorn during the afternoon. then a soup mix for dinner (I like the veggie ones).
I dont feel any hunger at all. which is staggering as I am usually grazing all day long. Thats a bad habit I got into with the 'free food' slimming world approach......I was often eating when not hungry - just because it was 'free'. sometimes I was eating 8 pieces of fruit a day. blush
On CD I save one of the ready made shake cartons for bedtime as find if i am hungry its late at night. I've had the odd blip this week and had a single slice of bread on 3 evenings. Not something to get into the habit of I know but it got me through the first week.
I'm now hoping the boost from the weight loss will get me through the 2nd week. I have a very supportive consultant who says dont think of this diet anymore than one week at a time.
i'm going to give the porridge a try this week for a warm lunch on a couple of days.
Good luck with anyone else following this plan - get through that first week and you will feel confident about trying a 2nd week.

CHERRYBL0SS0M Sun 24-Mar-13 20:32:18

Dee, if you are really struggling and have to eat something can I suggest having a piece of chicken or similar, try to stuck to protein and avoid carbs so u don't knock yourself out of ketosis. I have a small pack of ready to eat chicken pieces for this very reason. Hope this helps x

CHERRYBL0SS0M Sun 24-Mar-13 20:33:37

Sorry, meant to add congrats on the first week loss! smile x

catinboots Mon 25-Mar-13 11:25:59

Hello everyone.

Day 1 for me here. I started last week but only half heartlesly as we had friends over for a very heavy food/drink weekend.

I'm mixing up SS plans - some days doing 4 meals, an other days doing 3 plus a 100g protein meal. I'm going to try and have 200g veg a day too.

Today I had the sweet porridge which I think is sooo much nicer (less sweet) than the original oatmeal!

Likes and dislikes to far from my taster pack last week:

Like:
All the shakes so far
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken soup
Mushroom pasta
Sweet porridge

Ok:
Chilli con carne
Spicy spaghetti
All of the bars

Vile:
Tomato soup
Original oatmeal

AyeOopMoose Mon 25-Mar-13 12:16:12

Hello all!
I was on the thread that started in Jan but it seems to have gone/fallen by the wayside.
I lost 2 stone and have had a break for various reasons-hols, excuses etc.
Started day 1 s&s today so thought I'd introduce myself. I found it helps coming on the thread if I'm tempted!
I find day 1 tough as you haven't got into it yet, by day 2, although it may be physically harder, I have the mentality that I'm not going to waste all the effort I put into doing day 1! I know that by day 4 I'll be in ketosis and from there on in it gets easier as the weight comes off.

I agree with what Aspie said upthread, when you have a lot to lose people don't notice till about 3 stone has gone. I've found this disheartening as I've lost 2st and no one has said anything, whereas my mum has lost about the same and she's getting loads of comments (she had 3 to lose). Ha another 8weeks and I'll look different smile

Aspiemum2 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:28:05

Hi cat and moose wink
Don't be disheartened moose - you'll be getting heaps of comments soon enough.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the bars?!

Just had a crispy choc shake and it was gross - tastes like coco pops which I hate.
Day 3 & still feel fine - looking forward to feeling like crap tbh as it means I am 'crossing the threshold'. Plus I read that once you are in ketosis it's ok to have a can of coke zero a day? I'm a Pepsi girl but willing to switch!

deewillow Mon 25-Mar-13 14:55:02

thanks for encouragement CherryBlossom.....ive really got to resist the bread I know - its a comfort eating thing for me though blush. But today I had the CD apple porridge and really liked that - so might save that as my pre-bed time 'treat' from now on?
Hows it going for you - over the worst few days now hopefully, keep looking forward to that first weigh in xx
I havent tried any bars yet on CD. Consultant said try and hold off for a couple of weeks unless you really dont like the shakes/soups etc. Im ok with what I have at the moment. So thinking of sving these exciting new options till i'm bored smile. Im also keeping away from anything that is a chocolate substitute - dont want to be tempted!!
any advice on how to get through the Easter weekend? its not the chocolate im worried about but have two family meals where it will be commented on if I am not eating. Consultant said go for the meat and veg (avoid carrots and toms).... How do you cope with 'helpful' comments from friends/family about these type of diets?

Aspiemum2 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:25:02

There is no substitute for chocolate!

How's everyone getting on today?

Day 4 for me and noticed, brushing my teeth this morning, that my mouth doesn't feel 'fresh' like it normally does after brushing - is that a good sign? Also knackered but was up half the night with dts so not surprised!

catinboots Tue 26-Mar-13 09:38:45

Day 2 and hungry! Had porridge for breakfast now out to work in a min. Will make a shake to take in the car.

Back early afternoon so may have a soup then. And not decided on dinner yet.....

catinboots Tue 26-Mar-13 09:39:38

Minging mouth is. Sign of ketostix I'm sure Aspie grin

Have you got any ketostix?

Aspiemum2 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:57:06

No I haven't got any, are they worth it?
Forget to say, the cottage pie is lovely smile

giggly Tue 26-Mar-13 15:01:10

I nibble on cold meat if I'm hungry. I work shifts which I find plays havoc with the plan as I'm up at 6 but don't have a shake until 9.30ish but once I have I am fine.
Can't share the likes as I am not using CD products as I am in Australia but using optifast which is the same stuff but no ready made meals which I miss.

How is everyone doing?

Aspiemum2 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:10:20

I'm not using CD stuff either, I'm using slim & save

catinboots Tue 26-Mar-13 19:57:21

I lost a stone low carbing recently and found it really motivating to see the ketostix turn purple grin

I just had the spag bol with 200g of broccoli and it was yum.

Mid afternoon I was starving so I ate a some cooked chicken chunks and some gherkins.

I just hope that when I get into ketosis in a day or 2 my hunger will totally disappear - as I'm actually really enjoying just the meals so hopefully won't need to snack

Aspiemum2 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:04:09

Thanks Cat, I've ordered some.
I haven't had anything other than the meals provided yet. I just want to disassociate from food for a while if that makes sense?
Food is something I use when stressed and I just want to take a break from that and find other ways to cope.

I have to say that I'm loving it so far, there's no angst over what I can or can't eat.

Dh did the food shopping online this week though just to help me avoid temptation!

Weighef myself this morning and I've hit the 50lbs gone mark!

Aspiemum2 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:58:49

Wow grin that's brilliant, congratulations thanks

Alice2701 Wed 27-Mar-13 08:44:37

Oh god help!!! I can't stop "cheating" with bits of cold turkey and chicken. Feeling ridiculously guilty that I'm going to have to eat normal food this week too hmm I know I've been doing this for ages but the last stone to shift really is a psychological pain in the arse!!
Hope everyone else is having a good day smile

Aspiemum2 Wed 27-Mar-13 09:22:22

I'm sorry to hear that Alice. It really is tough when you get close to your goal but you haven't come this far to give up now. I KNOW that you can do it. This last stone may take some time but it will not defeat you smile

Just a reminder to anyone else on slim and save to get your order in soon, just had an email about Easter weekend and making sure you've ordered in time.

Day 5... Feel fine!

TisILeclerc Wed 27-Mar-13 09:44:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

This thread is not accepting new messages.